Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork New Years Eve

Options
  • 01-01-2010 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

It's an absolute disgrace that we have a City Manager and Council with no 'imagination' what so ever. For the last 3 years I hve worked in the city New Years Eve and @ 12 nothing happens....no fire works no Shandon bells absolutely nothing. When I was growing up in Cork every New years eve we would go to Shandon the bells would ring the army and navy would set off fire works everyone would be out on the street great party spirit, but a few years ago there was trouble nothing serious and our council used this as an excuse to cancel the event so because of a few bad apples families in Cork had to lose out.We should be building community spirit not destroying it. Shame on our city council!:o

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

What's stopping the crew in Shandon (or any church) from ringing the bells of their own accord ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭veronica

parsi wrote: »
    What's stopping the crew in Shandon (or any church) from ringing the bells of their own accord ?

Absolutely nothing...... but the point I am trying to make is that all other cities all over the world except Cork their local government or our council put on a show for their people New years eve and why should we be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

veronica wrote: »
    It's an absolute disgrace that we have a City Manager and Council with no 'imagination' what so ever. For the last 3 years I hve worked in the city New Years Eve and @ 12 nothing happens....no fire works no Shandon bells absolutely nothing. When I was growing up in Cork every New years eve we would go to Shandon the bells would ring the army and navy would set off fire works everyone would be out on the street great party spirit, but a few years ago there was trouble nothing serious and our council used this as an excuse to cancel the event so because of a few bad apples families in Cork had to lose out.We should be building community spirit not destroying it. Shame on our city council!:o

Well said. A few/lot less counsellors and the city could spend the $$ saved on something to celebrate the New Year :) Why don't you set up a pressure group Veronica, to campaign for a New Years Eve event? Before some smart ass says the same to me, I've my hands full starting another kind of voluntary group this year :P

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Well not all cities of comparable size organise events but there's nothing to stop local community groups organising events for their area or even getting together to organise a city-wide event.

The Chamber of Commerce could knock their collective heads together and come up with something I'm sure or Rotary maybe ?

TBH New Year's is a strange time really - all the action doesn't happen until closing-time which can have the unfortunate effect of making things very messy.

the army and navy would set off fire works

I believe they can't get them to work New Years Eve anymore, they're all out driving cabs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

If that's all you have to worry about then I wish I had your life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭veronica

colblimp wrote: »
    If that's all you have to worry about then I wish I had your life...

You know nothing about my life...please take your anger out on somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

You know nothing about my life...please take your anger out on somebody else.

Anger?! Oh my... :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

it's not new years in cork until the fire brigade do a circuit of the city center with the sirens and the lights going! eat your heart out sidney.

Advertisement