Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad in 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Cheers. I'm figuring on fitting in one more LSR c 30 to 33k depending on how it goes, Saturday morning. Up for it?

Carb loading starting early. Had a dinner at lunchtime, followed by left overs of last nights dinner when I came in. More freshly made dinner available too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Cheers. I'm figuring on fitting in one more LSR c 30 to 33k depending on how it goes, Saturday morning. Up for it?

I'll have to see how things go. Feeling very run down now, got chills and no energy- reckon its a 24-hr thing, but I expect its a bad idea to run long on Sat.

That's what I get for trying to keep up with PosNeg running up a mountain yesterday...

Gorgeous morning for a run considering the time of year. Decided on a hilly route as I ran this morning and ran within myself for the most part. Felt very sluggish early on and this could be a sign of all the running this year catching up on me. Felt soreness building in the upper left leg as I ran and this made running downhill near the end uncomfortable. Ran through this as best I can seen as I expect I'll have to run through some discomfort come the big day in 2 weeks. I'm glad I'm now in taper mode. A great moment on this morning's run though saw a large deer running across my path on a forest trail, within about 10m of me. A great sight.
    31.8k, 5:07 pace, 530m of climb.

Decided to not run today after feeling the effects of yesterday's LSR so hopped on the bike instead late this afternoon. So much for the Indian summer weather that was expected.. Cool enough out there with a strong breeze which wasn't fun to cycle against. Happy enough though to stretch the legs a bit

Nice route though and just the distance for a long run at some stage. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52430323

30.3k, 274m of climb, 23.4km/h

Total distance ran this week: 73k. Taper time.

As I ran at lunchtime today the thought struck me that in 2 weeks time it'll be all over bar the shouting. Ran easily with my mate on a 9k loop around Kill O the Grange. Great conditions for running. 9.17k, 4:43 pace. No aches or pains after the Saturday LSR which is a good sign.

Arriving home this evening I so much wanted to run again (taper madness taking hold). Had to hold myself back and do some gardening instead :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Quick update:

Yesterday, nice lunchtime run with friend Ian who is also aiming for sub 3 in DCM. Took it nice and easy. 8.4k, 4:39 pace.

Today, started slow and increased pace as I went along. By the time I had finished I had done the last 4k at 4 min/k pace or below and worked the overall avg down to pretty much MP. Very happy with this. Felt I was cruising it running along the N11. 9.85k, 4:15 pace. 60m of hill in there (mainly fosters ave) too.

Thursday. Stuck for time. Brief window of opportunity to run around the roads from Charlesland. 7.69k, 4:13 pace

Friday. Backroads run near home. 8.26k, 4:19 pace

Saturday. 16.23k, 4:51 pace, 389m of climb. Today's run was the highlight of many a week. I forgot about the marathon a week off and ran for running sake. Stopped and took some photos en route. Took it handy on the ups and picked it up on the downs. A run to make you smile. D'pop.. you're hill is over there somewhere... Very curious to up on a hill looking down onto cloud.
    64CE2F3B0A4E4DAF99B0A3BFF738513F-0000332535-0001978817-00800L-85C5C794D0CD48EFB4243BB22DA8BCAB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Nice one SJ, you're dead lucky to have those trails and tracks on your doorstep. Easy running next week!

Wow, great photos! Only one more week left of this stupid road running, then back to those clear views for good:D

You still going to do that carb-starve diet? What runners are you wearing? I looked at racing flats today, crazy for a lump like me, but I presume you'd get benefit from them?

Wow, great photos! Only one more week left of this stupid road running, then back to those clear views for good:D

You still going to do that carb-starve diet? What runners are you wearing? I looked at racing flats today, crazy for a lump like me, but I presume you'd get benefit from them?

Hi. Yeah, I'll give it a go. Don't know if I'll last though through to Thursday as I love my carbs. I figure on wearing my saucony racing flats that nearly got me to the 3 hours last year. I'll give them another chance to redeem themselves.

• Advertisement

Ideal conditions this morning for a nice half marathon ish distance run. That was the plan and it worked out fairly well. Took a backroads route out from Annacurra to Ironbridge on the Wicklow way and from there onto some trails before emerging out on roads again for the last 5k. A bit like yesterday I ran without thinking of next week or pace or anything really. Just took in the surroundings which were magic. Saw at least 6 deer in the trails below Rosahane cemetry near Ironbridge. Saw more deer on the run today than I did cars which tells you something.
    21.8k, 4:41 pace, 268m climb.
    In retrospect I probably ran too much this week but I'll reduce that total big time in the last week. 82.5k this week Monday through Sunday.

9.6k recovery run this morning on tired legs around Kill of the Grange, 4:58 pace. Schedule calls for runs of 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 miles over the coming days, so 6 mile run - Tick.

Going to give this carb depletion / carb loading thing a shot. What the hell. I'm not going to count carbs so its an approximated depletion. Usually I eat anything that moves or doesn't for that matter. Spent the day fairly hungry.. as didn't have the usual porridge breakfast or the scone mid morning. Lunch was a bowl of soup and a salad plate. Yogurt mid afternoon. Teas and coffees a plenty in there too. Couldn't cut out carbs completely (hunger rules and I have to be sensible) so had a sandwich when I came home. Dinner was a tuna, egg salad with other non-carb stuff thrown on top. Steered away from the pot of spuds that had been cooked for the clan. Hate this diet :( Still... its only a couple of days so brave face and look forward to the carb loading in a few days.

I think I'll go to bed early tonight and dream of beer and cake (not all at once).

Couldn't cut out carbs completely (hunger rules and I have to be sensible) so had a sandwich when I came home.

I'm no expert on this, so stand to be corrected, but from what I understand of this diet, it's all or nothing. Either your body is starved of carbs (and starts produce the necessary enzymes), or it just gets by with the limited carbs it finds (and doesn't produce the enzymes). So that sandwich brings you back to square one.

*Edit* someone posted on another forum that BO'S allows you 30g of carbs a day, so you're covered, and I'm talking crap as usual :)

There's only a certain amount of non-carbs in my kitchen and I was starvin :)

I'll keep an eye on the weight as I conduct this experiment. Day 1, 67 kgs.

8.25k at 4:41 pace at lunchtime. Strong wind made this far from enjoyable. Hope the weather is calmer come next Monday.

Continuing the carb depletion today. Not very enjoyable either. Didn't feel as hungry throughout the day as per yesterday. 2 yogurts for breakfast. Lunch: veg soup and tuna wrap (not completely carb free but a man has to eat) and you could go nuts simply eating salad plates from day to day. Had the munchies when I arrived home. Shared some of the kids popcorn which probably has no nutrional value but fills a gap. Had a quick snack of tomato, ham slice and cheese slice. Dinner was a 3 egg omlette with another ham slice and mushrooms. Yogurt desert. Lots of teas and coffees throughout day.

Weight, same as yesterday.. 67kg

Shared some of the kids popcorn which probably has no nutrional value but fills a gap.

You've only a day left, (and are bound to be cranky from your body revolting), so please take this in the spirit in which its meant http://www.carbs-information.com/popcorn/carbs-in-microwave-popcorn.htm

Cheers though, if a no-carb diet can include popcorn, a half bottle of red tonight has eased the pain of my no-alcohol pre-Dublin fast:D

As I said.. not exactly carb free and a man can't go too hungry. :rolleyes:

You should know that I had to avoid a full carb dinner that was on offer (the OH doesn't think much for carb depletion) and bags of fresh doughnuts were bought in I think especially to upset me :)

4 mile loop of Kill of the Grange, progressively faster. 4:14 pace. The theory is that blasts of speed on carb deprived muscles make them further depleted and ready to take on all the goodies I'll feed them in the coming days. I've a vague ache in some muscles so it could be working - despite the popcorn yesterday.

I'm not sure if its possible to have a zero carbs day without starving. Today was the 3rd and final day for me of the reduced carbs and I'm very happy its over. No porridge or cereal for breakfast. A small portion of fruit salad and a yoghurt was all. Lunch was a turkey wrap with soup and bits of salad that didn't look carby. Short run was after work. Dinner was an omlette with tuna salad. Was still hungry afterwards so gave in to having a treat afterwards and ate a doughnut. Well the OH offered it at least 5 times so it was the least I could do.

Weight marginally down I think. c. 66.5kgs. Need a digital scales for such precision but who cares.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

God bless your (almost) perfect discipline. I've tried the whole meal with no carbs thing numerous times but no matter how much veg and protein you have you're still starving. :eek:

God bless your (almost) perfect discipline. I've tried the whole meal with no carbs thing numerous times but no matter how much veg and protein you have you're still starving. :eek:

I know! :D Never again. And who needs enemies when you've friends checking out 'you've eaten carbs.com' for every screed that you've ate.

• Advertisement

I know! :D Never again. And who needs enemies when you've friends checking out 'you've eaten carbs.com' for every screed that you've ate.
    Just trying to help! I don't want you so thin I don't recognize my old mate as I slip by him over the bridge at mile 24;)

Enjoy your cornflakes tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Weight marginally down I think. c. 66.5kgs. Need a digital scales for such precision but who cares.

You sound that that daft tit Brigdet Jones ..... but I still love you man:D:D

The good news is the low carb days are behind me. Real food tastes good.

The bad news is I've picked up an injury out of the blue :( Yesterday I had a mild discomfort in the left groin area. Never had a groin strain before but reckon this is what it is. This evening the discomfort level has grown and I'm even walking with a bit of a hobble. Lifting the left leg on my short run this evening was awkward. I'll try cold and hot treatment to ease it out. Injuries like this respond well to rest. Not much rest time left through. Not happy :(

5k around Charlesland, 4:36 pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hopefully it's just a niggle - colours to the mast time - what's the predicted time. Actually just tell me if you plan to finish in the morning or the afternoon :p

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Hopefully it's just a niggle - colours to the mast time - what's the predicted time. Actually just tell me if you plan to finish in the morning or the afternoon :p

Any optimistic prediction has gone by the wayside I fear. Not even sitting or walking comfortably. 2 days rest might do me good. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hot baths, lots of them. And get compression shorts for monday. Best of luck if you make it!!

Great expo today. Wasn't in form to enjoy it as my discomfort continues and even walking brings an ache. Have had a couple of warm baths and have been icing up the sore area in recent days. I'm gutted to have picked up a last minute injury, out of nothing really, when I am probably in the best form I've even been for a marathon. C'est la vie. If I'm not 100% I still intend getting around the course as I'm part of the Wicklow Hospice group so I'd feel like I failed if I didn't do the course. Best of luck to fellow runners. In particular to the sub 3ers that I wish I was part of. Goes to show the very thin line between full fitness and something which can crash land your best laid plans. My last run was 5k on Weds. Feels like an age.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I saw you sitting down with the missus and kids but didn't want to scare your kids as the strange girl from the internet. Sorry that things haven't gone according to plan for you, was really gunning for you to go sub 3. Still time for a miraculous recovery.

Best of luck on Monday, whatever happens make sure you enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. Didn't get to keep track of the logs last week, so didn't realize you'd picked up an injury. But sure if it's not this marathon, it'll be the next one, or the next one after that. You'll be running sub-3's for a long time to come.

Good to see the young sloggers keeping you busy. :)

• Advertisement

Great expo today. Wasn't in form to enjoy it as my discomfort continues and even walking brings an ache. Have had a couple of warm baths and have been icing up the sore area in recent days. I'm gutted to have picked up a last minute injury, out of nothing really, when I am probably in the best form I've even been for a marathon. C'est la vie. If I'm not 100% I still intend getting around the course as I'm part of the Wicklow Hospice group so I'd feel like I failed if I didn't do the course. Best of luck to fellow runners. In particular to the sub 3ers that I wish I was part of. Goes to show the very thin line between full fitness and something which can crash land your best laid plans. My last run was 5k on Weds. Feels like an age.

Feel gutted for you Mick, you never get injuries, and to get one now, in the shape you're in...

Listen, ENJOY the race if you run it, and soak up all the atmosphere you've missed on so many hard fast marathons you've run. Sub 3 is only a matter of time, there will be other races. See you Monday.

Advertisement