Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running mad in 2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck on Sunday Slogger. I'll watch out for you flying past me :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck SJ. You'll be finished long before I stumble over the finish line in a blaze of something glory like. Congrats on reaching marathon number 20. Might see you out there, somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck on Sunday Mick - I'm sure it'll be an anotehr memorable run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Arrived into Leenane and got 2 nice surprises. 1, theres a new wing onto the old hotel and we've a lovely brand new room with 'to die for' views of Killary harbour. 2, the weather is fab. Headed off straight away to shake the drive out of the legs, intending to do a very slow run. It was t shirt warm outside. Felt so good (endorphins?) that I ran a lot faster than intended.. perhaps trying to mimic some of my splits towards Leenane for the big day. Stopped on occasion to take in the scenery. Such a beautiful place. Complete rest Saturday.

7.2k, 4:20 pace, 30m ascents
    95 days of running
    846.94 miles

My 4th marathon in Connemara and my 20th overall. A nice milestone and it was one I was keen to enjoy and not to put myself under any pressures in terms of times etc. Some races are for PBs. Connemara ain’t one of them.
    The clan booked into the Leenane Hotel for the weekend and it was destined to be a great weekend. This is an old style hotel overlooking one of the finest views in the country (Killary harbour). An additional wing of new rooms have been added onto the hotel since the last time we stayed and we were lucky to be booked into the new part which was 1st class. A balcony view onto the harbour and across towards Ben Gorm. Priceless.

In recent marathons in Connemara I’ve completed the 1st half only to run into the throng of people who had just started the half marathon. I always felt that this slowed me down on those previous occasions so my plan this time was to go faster in the 1st half – the easier half – and try to get to Leenane before they had started, so the challenge was to do it in less than 90 minutes. More on that later.

Great weather greeted us on Sunday morning. The other half drove me from Leenane to Lough Inagh. A vagary of the Connemara logistics is that Leenane gets sadly overlooked in the transport grand scheme of things – Clifden, Oughterard and Galway are where it’s at for convenient transport.
    There was a very relaxed scene at Lough Inagh. The view across the lake was magical. I posted a photo on the Connemarathon event thread to show the ‘start line’ view. Chatted away with some fellow boardsies - great to put faces to the user names. Had a nice chat with the lady who was featured in the Irish Times who is aiming to complete her 100th marathon this year. A legend from the Slaney Olympic club in Wexford.

We cheered the first few ultra marathoners through our start line and pretty punctually at 10.30am Ray O’Connor set our race underway.

I ran comfortably and fairly within myself for the 1st half. Tried to take in the views as much as possible and leg the legs do their thing. My km splits were quicker than they needed to be but I wasn’t too concerned. My mantra was to get to Leenane and see what happens after that. At various stages in the 1st half I could see the tell tale bib of Athenry’s Mick Rice up ahead and unintentionally I managed to reel Mick in just as we got to Leenane. I knew that he would run close to a 90 minute split so having him ahead of me worked well by way of a target.

The family gave me a cheer as I ran through Leenane. Myself and Mick exchanged a few words running through the village. The half marathon hadn’t yet started, so the plan was working. On the hill out of Leenane Mick picked up a gear and went away from me. It must have been at least 1k on out of Leenane before the 1st half marathoner went steaming past. Soon after a regular stream of half marathoners went past. Shared some greetings with, and got great encouragement from, fellow boardsies and imra runners in the half contingent. My pace had reduced out of Leenane but I wasn’t too concerned at this stage although I was conscious of the headwind which was making the running that bit more of an effort in the growing heat.

My pace was generally okay until the 30k mark. From here things started to go awry. I don’t know if it was the effects of the heat or what but my pace started to fall markedly and I couldn’t do too much about it. My legs had started to ache too and I was regretting having worn racing flats which didn’t give much protection from the pounding on the uneven tarmac roads. I had the will power to run, albeit slowly, the hell of the west, but painful cramp set in the calf muscles and I had to stretch and try walk it off. Ironically I found running the downhill from the hill of the west and to the end harder than the uphill. I was obviously suffering badly from the heat and the last few k – flat and all as they were was a struggle.

Crossing the line my energy levels were close to zero and soon afterwards I found the first patch of ground I could – a wall near Peacocks – to stretch out prostrate on. Cramp was wracking the legs – quads, calf muscles, feet and the pain was pretty bad. I managed to shuffle back towards the buses but the marshall didn’t know of any plans for a bus to Leenane. Bumped into a few familiar faces including Mick Rice (him looking fresh, me with the life drained from my face). Met my mate Aaron who had run a great 5:01 in the ultra and he too, despite the extra 13 miles was a bubbly as ever. Anyways, after getting some nourishment on board in the hotel – a great spread of soup, sambos, fruit etc, I eventually managed to locate a bus heading to Leenane – the long way around via Clifden!

After race thoughts… pay more attention to the weather. A cap would have been handy. Carry a gel or two.. drinking water alone isn’t enough to ward off the heat. Pre-race nourishment with some sort of electrolyte drink probably would have helped too. Also, I needed to get more long runs in. High mileage with small to medium sized runs is no short cut to a marathon. The plan to go out fast was probably a mistake. When the good half marathoners are streaming past you in droves it can have a demoralising effect. It’s nearly better in retrospect to meet the half back-markers and for you to make your way through them at your own pace, it’s an altogether more positive thing, but maybe that’s just me

Despite feeling wrecked immediately after the race, a few hours later the life had returned to me.. particularly after some grub and a few drinks. I’ll remember my 20th marathon with more fondness than not. Another learning experience.
    42.44k, 339m ascents (according to Sportstracks), 4:39 pace

Recovery day:
    No running. After a drive back from Leenane I headed out on the bike to stretch the legs in non-impact mode. A 25k amble around the backroads on a lovely Wicklow evening, followed by a wince inducing ice cold bath :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great report to read SJ. What's striking is that after running 20 marathons, it's still a learning experience. I've no doubt whatsoever that you'll put some of that learning to good use in a sub 3 attempt later this year.

I look forward to hearing more about it out on the hills:)

Eased myself out this morning before work for an easy jog around the trails close to the house. I was surprised that while my calf muscles were sore to walk (initially), I was quite okay whilst jogging. For me, running soon after a marathon, particularly one where you've run sub-optimally in parts, is a good way of exorcising ghosts. Running this morning, even for however short was a good way for me to re-appreciate running again. Running through early morning forest full of birdsong is a very sweet experience, no matter how sore the legs are. Late this evening I managed another 4k around the same trails at a similar easy pace.

10.85k, 5.07 pace, 204m ascents
    97 days running this year
    880.06 miles total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Great report Slogger, sounds like a heat was a big factor. I was worried about that for Rotterdam but turned out to be just about perfect if a little windy. You don't take your foot off the Gas your back running already. Good luck with your future races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Mick, congrats again on number 20, and thanks for the fab report. One of the areas I suffered (and to an extent my OH too in the half) was that we never made any provision to take on any salt, on such a hot day (it would never have occurred to me), and I think it might have impacted our performances towards the latter part of the race. Sure, I grabbed a couple of half cups of lucozade sport, but this wasn't until very late (too late?) in the race, to be of any real use. Connemara always seems to be a learning experience for me!

• Advertisement

My little but often recovery from Conn continued today. While the good weather is with us I got out early and did a bit in the local forest trail, again delighting in the wonder of nature's morning. Got out for a bit at lunchtime too - a bit faster which surprised me but the legs felt up for it. Got to Bray this evening early to help with the imra race and I'd a spring in my step so did another sneaky 4k, taking a leaf from ultraman's book.

Calf muscles are sore to touch but running is okay on them. Was sensible enough not to try race the imra race this evening. I'd cramps in lots of muscles after Sunday's race. The calf muscles must have taken the worst toll. The worst pain on Sunday though I think was foot cramps. Ouch!

Aggregate 17.69k, 4.43 (avg) pace, 216m ascents
    98 days running this year
    891.05 miles total

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Congrats SJ on your 20th marathon. I'm not even half way there yet.

This run made no sense. I shouldn't have been running hard but it felt pretty good. Heading out I had no plans for the run but a vague idea I was heading up a usual hill loop I do. I then thought that I'd try to keep my avg pace sub 5 mins per km, not the easiest thing to do on the uphills - and I didn't quite do it from the start so theres room for improvement. Reaching the top of the hill I was able to unleash on the downhill trail without any pains from the legs. It felt great and I was half wishing this was a race I was doing. I'll try do this run from time to time to see if I can match or better it...

Split m (gain/loss)
    5:01 (+1)
    4:50 (+28)
    5:00 (+52)
    4:54 (+56)
    4:26 (+35)
    4:21 (+42)
    3:36 (-65)
    3:20 (-81)
    3:31 (-66)
    3:55 (+0)
    1:43 (-28)

Total: 10.47k, 4:16 pace, 266m ascents
    99 days running this year
    897.56 miles total

Didn't you have a couple great IMRA races shortly after your marathon last year? Have you a few races in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Congrats on the result in the connemara marathon. 2010 is shaping up to be some year for you. :)

Cheers guys. No races in mind save enjoying the forthcoming imra races. I hope to get across the the Connaught champs even if I'm crap at running Croagh Patrick. Still I can do my penance as I do it.

I see in the final Conn results I'm upgraded (don't know how) to 14th overall and 1st M40 :o

Easy run this evening. Did 4k out and back from Ballinastoe towards Lough Tay and along Wicklow way. Beautiful evening for a run. Going to head over to Glendalough early in the morning to see some of the WAR race...

8.05k, 4:40 pace, 270m ascents
    100 days running this year.
    Total 902.56 miles

• Advertisement

After last week's efforts it was nice to have a free Saturday to do what I wanted. I decided late last night to venture out this morning early and see some of the WAR action on the spink. Picking donothoponpop early and making it to Laragh in good time, or so we thought, we were thrown a bit by not being able to park in the usual car park and had to go back to Laragh, which made it a bit of a rush to get up even part of the Spink in time for the advanced starters. The weather was out of this world (for Ireland anyway). It was great to see so many people in action and many were familiar faces.
    Took some pictures near the Brockagh centre of the start of the cycling leg. Dropping donothoponpop up towards Dublin :p I took a diversion to Roundwood to enjoy a hearty breakfast before hightailing it back up towards Djouce. Missed the advanced guys who were already off the mountain and onto their cycling last leg. I did manage to get a few nice snaps with the backdrop of Lough Tay. The views over the mountains were to die for. Back in Laragh I got some more snaps near the WAR finish.

Took to walking the dogs with the family in the afternoon to further enjoy the summery day thats upon us.

As evening closed in I set out on the bike and did an hour around the backroads, 22k's worth. Having seen the action today I'll need to brush up on my cycling and running endurance if I want to consider doing an AR event - like the Glenmalure WAR event - later in the year.

10.3k, 6.44 pace (took it easy on the spink etc!), 401m ascents
    101 days running
    Total miles: 908.36

I speculated about doing an LSR today but decided to concentrate on quality rather than quantity so took to the hills above the village with dog in tow. Coillte are tree felling on the hills which makes the going slower than usual. I followed the Annacurra race route to the top of the hill, hung a left down around and up a trail which I knew was a cul de sac. Trails were technical and gorse covered in parts which made for interesting running. The ups were tough - head down, dig in... About turn and back down, around and up to the top of the hill for the 2nd time. Followed the quick trail descent thats in the Annacurra race - trails are bone dry which makes the going good and fast. This brought me around the back of the hill where Oscar the dog gave chase to his first ever sight of a fox. Then had to haul myself up the hill for the 3rd time. Tough, but good for me ;) From there it was downhill trail run all the way. Sub 4 min splits without having to try just letting gravity do its thing. Had to push it towards the end as I tried to work the avg pace down below 5 min/k pace. Just about managed it and well happy with that as a work-out. Home for coffee and bagels. Great having these hills on the doorstep. Not a sinner encountered the entire morning either.

16.66k, 4.58 pace, 642m ascents
    102 days running
    Total miles: 919.31

Ran yesterday and today but still find myself on page 4 of the ever busy training logs..

A 2 run day. An early alarm call got me out on the trails for a short wake up run before heading to work. Loud birdsong in the forest. Not quite the dawn chorus but still great to hear.
    7.06k, 4:52 pace, 172m ascents

Headed out again this evening to run the dog. Headed up the higher trails above the house, out 4k then back and faster downhill. Home to face into a double helping of lasagne. Happy days.
    8.16k, 4:37 pace, 241m ascents

15.22k total for day
    103 days running this year
    928.77 total

IMRA race tomorrow so fairly easy day today. Short run at lunch centred on Deansgrange. Pretty good conditions for running. Long may it continue. At this rate I should top the 1000 mark before the end of the month which if memory serves is about 20 days ahead of last year.

8.5k, 4:30 pace, 81m ascents
    104 days running this year
    934.05 total

Arrived out in plenty of time and did c. 5k of a slow jog by way of warm up. Lots of familiar faces in the turn-out. Great to see old faces back too. The return of faster runners could only mean lower results for the rest of us mere mortals :). I had words with one guy to tell him to ditch his mp3 player and headphones. Wouldn't have been safe to wear them in a race like this. Happily he took my advice...

A huge crowd gathered before the start. I reckoned over 200 runners were in the field. I stood in the crowd expecting the start to be where it was last time but the 'go' took us in the opposite direction and I was caught unawares. Sprinting at the start of a race is not my thing, but I had to do it to get into a decent position before we started into the first climb and single tracks. I managed to get into a decent enough position but had the fast start cost me? The route is 2 laps of trails on the head. I adopted a strategy that worked for me before in that I tried to pace myself evenly on the 2 laps. Start too fast and you can fade on the 2nd. As it happened then I managed to gain some places on the 2nd lap. A couple of k of that was a close and enjoyable nip and tuck tussle with Timaay, obviously only returning to fitness as he's usually well ahead of me. Fair play to him, he held sway at the end and pipped a runner ahead of him again. Just saw the results there. Delighted with a 13th place considering the experienced runners around me. The indefatigable Enduro was 2nd despite the WAR at the weekend. Bazman was back racing and back to winning form.

8.25k, 36:53, 4:28 pace, 211m ascents
    13th, 112% of winning time. 225 runners or so in the race!

Warm up of 5.48k, 31:18, 123m ascents

Total: 8.54 miles
    105 running days
    Total miles: 942.58

• Advertisement

Comfortably paced hilly trail run in Annacurra after yesterday's race. Another race on Saturday up and down Tonelegee (twice), so might take it easy tomorrow.

Total: 11.18k, 4:38 pace, 387m ascents
    106 running days
    Total miles: 949.53

Race today: Report to follow later. Had it typed up but it disappeared in Boards as I submitted it :(
    http://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/727/
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/31058964 -> check out the map view of the race and the elevation.
    Reckon I was 6th overall which I'm chuffed with.

Total: 9.69k, 6:56 pace, 714m ascents
    107 running days; 6 rest days.
    Total miles: 955.55

Arrived in good time with donothoponpop and did a bit of a warm up. A nice crowd assembled at the Wicklow gap for the off at 12 noon on the dot. A steep climb to the top of Tonelagee followed. Tough going it was too. A lead group of Jason, Brian and Peter had set off into the distance with the rest of us following in single file fashion. Half way up the running got too tough, for me at least, so I adopted a long walking stride without losing position. Zoran had reached the trig point ahead of me. I knew Dan Morrough wasn’t too far behind. Off the other side of Tonelagee down to Lough Ouler. Here, different strategies were put to the test. Do you go immediately down to the lake and run alongside it, or do you stay to the higher ground and only hit the lake as late as possible? I took somewhat of a middle ground option and it allowed me to pick up ground on Zoran who had gone to the lake early. We were met at the apex of the lake by Dan who had taken the latter option. We started the climb back up Tonelagee in close proximity. Running gave way to walking before too long again as it was very steep and the path as it was turned out to be quite uneven. I managed to gain a lead on Dan despite this and Zoran in turn had stretched out a good lead on me. He looked like he could catch Aaron O’Donoghue ahead of him again. At that time I reckoned Aaron was 4th overall in the race. As the gradient levelled out near the top of Tonelagee running became an option again. Touched the trig point at the top of the mountain and from there it was going to be a short but fast downhill to where we had started from. Opinions differed again as to the best way down.. do you follow the sheep trail we had followed on the way up or do you run as the crow flies across open mountain ignoring any trail (which wasn’t too obvious at times in any event). Some of the grassy downhill was really really fast. Legs, feet, body coordination needed big time when you are running downhill at this speed. I’m a poor master of these skills but I did enough to hold my position in the race and finished in a time of 46:59 (unofficial.. 6th overall I think?). A great, but tough race and good prep for next weekend’s Connaught championship races. A bit of a misunderstanding at the end nearly ended up with donothoponpop taking my M40 prize but I intervened at this injustice at the last minute. :D Looking forward to the next weekend race which have a great ambience, the smaller crowds and unmarked elements of the courses being in contrast to the overcrowded nature of the growing popularity of the Leinster League races. Thanks to the race director and helpers for a great event.

A bit of a misunderstanding at the end nearly ended up with donothoponpop taking my M40 prize but I intervened at this injustice at the last minute. :D...
    ...to deprive me of my first win in anything since the cub scouts "two laps round the pitch" Challenge. You will have noticed how quick I was to point out the error as I grabbed for the prize table...

Great, great, course. If I hadn't had been saving myself for Limerick Marathon next week, I'd 'a had ya.;)

Headed down towards Bunclody this morning for the 2nd of the trail series of races being hosted by Slaney Olympic. Body a bit tired after yesterday but a social race appealed to me more than a solo recovery run. The field size was quite small, less than 40, but this is a nice contrast to the crowded popularity of the Weds imra races. Did a c. 5k easy warm up beforehand. We then started with a mainly downhill 1st 2 miles. Around mile 3 was a slow but going-on-forever climb back up trails before you could let yourself go a bit on the descent for mile 4. Thats when my legs were really feeling it. Miles 5 and 6 were fairly undulating back to the finish. Finished 5th and 1st M40 in 40:08. Don't have the ascent figures to hand but it must have been pushing 300m. Very happy with that result and I'd have done well to have done better even if I hadn't run yesterday. Didn't know the guy who finished first, but he pipped Keith Heary into 2nd. Keith then set off running home.. another 8 miles! A Ferns runner was 3rd and Raphael Salazar, an imra regular, was about 15 secs ahead of me. Revenge for me pipping him in the recent Debra Ireland Wicklow mountains half marathon.

This was a lovely route on the Carlow side of the Mount Leinster foothills. A few imra diehards made the journey down and all enjoyed it. Roll on the next such race in a few weeks time. Dark clouds rolled in just after we finished and there was a torrential downpour afterwards, so good timing to finish when we did.

Total: 15.46k (9.67k of race), 4:09 race pace, 233m ascents
    108 running days
    Total miles: 965.16

Woke up this morning before the alarm call and headed out for a trot around the trails as the birds were waking up. These early morning runs are exhilerating and are a good antidote to the start of a working week. Birdsong and the sounds of nature waking up with the sun gently rising over the hills is fantastic.

This evening I hooked up with d'pop for an easy run around trails at Annagh Hill near the old Wicklow gap which has incredible views over Wicklow and Wexford and I can see the appeal in this route that d'pop runs on a frequent basis. Some of the k's we ran at the Limerick 4 hr pace. This was helped by some stern uphill work - not quite recovery, but hey. A lovely run and with good company the time goes quick.

All going well I'll reach the 1000 miles this week before I head west for the imra Croagh Patrick pain run.

Total running today: 10 miles, c 450m of ascents between both runs.
    109 running days this year.
    Total mileage: 975.19

A mixed run at lunchtime. Easy at first, made difficult by a strong wind. Met up with a friend of mine who was doing 400s on the track near Cabinteely. I couldn't match his pace as I was on tired legs but I did about 5 for the hell of it before heading back to work at a decent pace. 10.3k at 4:21 pace.

This evening got out before rain clouds rolled in for a road and trail run to Aughrim and back at a fairly easy pace. 6.6k at 4.44 pace.

Total running today: 10.5 miles
    110 running days this year.
    Total mileage: 985.69 (nearly there.. 2 more days)

Volunteering at the imra race tonight so no race for me. Instead, did some easy kilometres around the hill and trails of hellfire beforehand. Lots of short tough hills as can be seen from the pace.

10.19k, 5:39 pace, 449m ascents
    111 days running so far. 6 days rest.
    Total ran: 992.02

Total ran: 992.02

Sellotape your feet to your legs tonight, just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭jlang

Got a little worried when I saw you with the crutches after the race, but luckily a false alarm. Looking at the results (up very quickly again) it seems a lot of other regulars also sat this one out whether too short, too fast, too crowded, too close to CP, too soon after Tonelagee, football on, ... . Only problem I have left is now, as you didn't run the race, I'll have to find someone else's garmin-enabled race report so I know how many miles to add to my log. I can't believe it was 6km - with the amount of walking I did, I would have to have been flying when not going uphill.

Preemptive presumptive congrats on hitting the 1k Mi as it could be a day or two before I log in again.

• Advertisement

Closed the deal on the 1000 miles this evening. I'd done an easy run this morning to wake up, which left less than 5 miles to do this evening. Got out and purposely ran one of my favourite routes, as if to embed in my mind where I was when I reached the target. Paused half way around to admire the view back across Wicklow with Lugnacoille resplendant in evening light.

By a lucky coincidence I reckon when I reached the 1000 I was careering down a downhill with a smile on my face doing a fairly effortless sub 3:30k split, which is a rare event. Happy days, accept for the bloody midges flying into the eyes.

I miscounted my rest days in recent days. I've only not ran 7 days this year so I'll reward myself in the coming months with more rest days. My objective at the start of the year was to enjoy my running and I've certainly done that. I've been very fortunate that I haven't had any injuries to speak of and I've been able to put in decent performances in races I've done so I hope to be able to continue that.

2 runs today:-
    am: 5.83k, 4:46 pace, 102m ascents
    pm: 10.23k, 4:22 pace, 273m ascents
    Total miles for day 9.98
    Total mileage so far this year: 1002
    112 running days. 7 rest days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats Mick, fair play on the challenge, savage running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Mighty!

Well done, ya loon:p

Staying around Delphi for IMRA Connaught Champs weekend. Briefly in Westport so have 5 mins of connectivity. 7k ran around Doo Lough yesterday in the shadow of mighty Mweelrea and Ben Gorm. Absolutely stunning. The drive to Westport this morning was tremendous. Some rain showers but Croagh Patrick peak clearly visible - always a good thing when doing a mountain race. Its less than 7k in distance but a lot of pain and fund to be endured during it :)

A great running weekend in the west. Reports to follow. Courtesy of the marvel that is the imra website I was able to pull out my times for the 2 races and compare them with previous years. Happy to say I've improved in each.

MY TIMES - MICK HANNEY – CROAGH PATRICK
    YEAR CAT. TIME % POSITION RUNNERS
    2010 M40 58:52:) 123% 12 64
    2009 M40 64:18 132% 19 50
    2008 M40 66:06 147% 26 78
    2007 M 66:12 135% 16 42

MY TIMES - MICK HANNEY – BEN GORM
    YEAR CAT. TIME % POSITION RUNNERS
    2010 M40 71:16 120% 7 32
    2009 M40 76:56 125% 9 24
    2008 M40 77:48 132% 11 34
    2007 M 86:21 135% 15 26

This was my 4th year in a row to take part in this great race. The weather gods were good to us as after some rain showers beforehand we were greeted with sunshine for the most part during the run. 64 registered runners took to the line beside the pub at the main road at Murrisk. Vivian O’Gorman gave his usual pre-race line about ‘if you want to enjoy the view, stop. Don’t try do it while you are running!’. We headed off, up the tarmac lane and up the steps passed the blessed virgin statue at the foot of the mountain and onto the pilgrims path up the mountain. The speedier and hardier runners stretched off away from me as I started I thought pretty slowly and conservatively. You can start fast on a run like this and suffer later, so slowly does it. Along the rocky uphill path you go. In the lower part of the race I picked off various runners that had started perhaps too fast to sustain their pace. Onwards and upwards through the rock strewn trail. Pilgrims heading up and down the mountain stood in silence mainly looking at the eejits running up the mountain. Up ahead I could only wonder at the power and pace of the lead guys that were way ahead in the distance already. I was happy enough with my pace but still before too long the calf muscles start to send soreness messages to the brain. As it got progressively steeper and messier underfoot it was more efficient to switch to a walking stride and despite this I made progress in keeping up or passing other competitors and not losing any places. As the path flattened out (ish) in the middle section I got a trot going ahead, running alongside another runner I didn’t know, each of us egging the other on a bit. The final climb, for me and most is unrunnable. The rocky scree cone that ascends steeply to the summit is a true test. Using big stepping strides I made whatever progress I could upwards. Descending and ascending pilgrims were having difficulty on this section. Some of them had younger kids and dogs with them – pure madness. Needless to say they probably thought what we were doing was mad, and that’s probably true to a certain extent. I was quite a bit up the scree cone when the first descending runner went dashing past down in a scramble of rock and peddles. Brian Furey from Rathfarnham. Gave him a well done shout and continued my uphill slog. Over the next few minutes more descending runners past. Some I knew, some I didn’t. Before too long the gradient eased and you could make out the gate which marks your arrival onto the flat bit where the church is. Managed a bit of a run clockwise around the church. Said hello to Finbar who was manning the summit, taking summit times. I was c. 40 mins to the top… for all of 3.65 or so k up. Downhill down the scree I went, judging my steps with as much care as I could manage, balancing the speed and the risk. This isn’t a surface or a gradient you want to fall on. Lets just say it wouldn’t be forgiving. Made it down this section having gotten past one or 2 descenders on the way. Picked it up on the gentler section in the middle taking care to lift the feet and not stub the toes on loose rock and gravel. I’d fallen here in previous years. I past one of the lead runners (Jason Kehoe) on this section. He was standing with some people, taking a drink of water and I could only assume he’d come a cropper on his downhill. He didn’t look to worse for wear and he acknowledged my shout. Downwards I went over the rocky, technical ground. A couple of shouts of courtesy to pilgrims to tell them of a descending runner approaching as I went. In the closing k I was aware of another runner hot on my heels and for a few moments he appeared in my vision as we ran shoulder to shoulder. I was determined to hold whatever place I had so I upped the pace, not an easy thing on very rocky and technical downhill ground, but faster I got. I made it to the gate near the bottom of the hill before him and reached the steps which I took 2 at a time before reaching the tarmac lane. Almost comically my sprinting legs seemed to have a jelly-ish quality to them after coming off the hills, so running with any pace along the road wasn’t too easy. A quick look around though satisfied me that I had built a lead that wasn’t going to be overtaken. Waved at the family as my OH took a photo as I passed the visitor coffee shop. 200m on from that the race was over. Checked the time. 58.53. Did a double take. That was my first time beating 60 mins here. I’d never come near 60 mins really before.. my best being 64.18 from last year. Chuffed with that. Good enough for 12th place and 3rd M40. Race was won by the 1st to the top Brian Furey. Diarmuid Collins, winner of the Wicklow way trail race, was 2nd with Peter O’Farrell, last year’s victor, in 3rd. A great race in a special place. You couldn’t quite call it enjoyable.. certainly not the uphill.. you’ve to work bloody hard at it. The downhill is a mixture of fun, fear and adhenaline in equal measure. I finished the race without so much as a cut or scrape which is always a good thing on Croagh Patrick. Various others had the cuts and bruises to show for it. Jason had suffered a dead leg having come down heavily on his quad muscle. Hopefully he won’t be out for too long with that. Definitely an experience to be recommended. For those interested in these things I wore inov-8 X-talon runners and found them very effective. They are very light and have little cushioning but they grip well.
    7.28k, 741m ascents, Time: 58.53, Pace: 8:05
    Splits: 7:38, 12:04, 7:15, 14:48, 6:26, 5:01, 4:43, 0:54 The splits are laughably slow, but they give a sense of the difficulty of the climb, and the terrain underfoot which is difficult to run fast downhill on aswell!

Ben Gorm overlooks Killary harbour and Leenane. It’s a magnificent mountain in a magnificent location. It’s a difficult but great hill race route. It’s made all the more difficult as it usually follows the day after Croagh Patrick race when everyone is, lets just say, not quite 100%. At least a few of the starters are walking wounded from the previous day’s race. Added to that this mountain is always wet. Even after continous weeks of dry weather this mountain is like a sponge – it has still soaked up all the rain from the previous months so quite a bit of the run will be wet and boggy. A nice morning weather-wise. We could see the mountain top – always a good thing. We’d a heavy rain shower before we started but no more rain during the race. Sunshine with light wind. Happy days. Around 30 starters congregrated near the Aasleagh falls on the border of Galway and Mayo for Turlough, the race director, to give the race instructions. This race isn’t marked but it’s a pretty clear route – when you have visibility as we did, and I had the experience of doing this a few times before which should help.
    The start of this race is comically slow. There’s a drag of a 10 minute of so climb up boggy slippy long grassed ground which for most is more a walk than a run. At the end of which you steeply descend for a few hundred slippy metres before you cross a small river. Off left gradually ascending boggy ground. A bit like yesterday I felt I started slow, but no real problem there as even at a mixed walk and slow jog pace I progressed through the field somewhat. And this is a medium distance race which won’t be won or lost in the 1st 20 minutes. A line of 8 or so runners were off ahead of me not to be caught, on the uphill at least. The boggy ground gave way to more rockier climbing as we made it towards the ridge line that we would venture left on. The ridge is a bit of a rollercoaster, with lots of ups and some downs, with rocky and boggy areas in between. All the while climbing though and on the right there was a vertiginous drop to the valley floor below. Not for the light hearted when the wind is a blowing. Views to die for and which could kill you if you weren’t careful. Gaining ground I was aware of Eoin Brady in his tell tale UCD yellow vest in the near distance. As I progressed steadily upward I was conscious that the gap was closing so this gave me a bit of a target to aim for. The ridge shallowed out and the leading runners were already running past on their way back down the mountain. Always a nice assurance that you are going the right way. Brian Furey was in the lead again, pursued by Diarmuid Collins, Tom Blackburn and Peter O’Farrell. Then Theo Mooney and Zoran Skrba. I realised at that point that Eoin was 7th and I was 8th. We turned at the peak in close proximity and I was gaining ground on the downhill. I remember seeing Eoin’s runners before the race and he had regular road shoes on. Not what you need to be wearing on a race like this and I was happy with the grip I had from my inov-8 X-Talons. Running along the ridge on the way back I overtook Eoin and without running very fast I was stretching out a lead. Passed by a few of the back marker runners as they headed out to the peak on this stretch. Down and up the ridge we went until I could see the fence line over in the distance where I needed to aim for. Off the ridge and down across the boggy glen. Slow enough going at times as the ground was slippery and precariously rocky at times. The legs were holding up though and I felt good. Across the river at the other side and up along the steep fence line trying to ensure no slips on the grassy muddy ground. I had a brief look around me at this point to see Eoin about 150m back down the hill. That gave me a bit of impetus to push on over the hill for the mad descent to the finish. Running downhill cautiously I still took a few soft tumbles in the boggy ground towards the end. Turlough was capturing the finish on video so coming soon to youtube I expect…
    I finished 7th in 71:16 or so.. some 5 minutes faster than my time last year and 1st M40. Its difficult to compare years races on a route like this but I daresay the route was comparatively dry this year versus other years. Very happy with my run though. This was followed by the almost mandatory soak of the feet in the river at the Aasleagh falls surrounded by the wonder that is the scenery in these parts.
    Behind me in an almost photo finish Kevin O’Riordain managed to overtake Eoin Brady for a fine 8th place.
    Brian Furey won, with Tom Blackburn 2nd and Diarmuid Collins 3rd. With 2 wins in 2 days Brian wrapped up the Connaught Championship in convincing style and with form like that he will take some beating in hill races this year.
    7.99k, 8:54 pace, Time: 1:11:10, 710m ascents
    Ridiculously slow splits follow: 13:32, 14:25, 10:34, 7:01, 4:55, 6:58, 6:46, 6:55

Ben Gorm - we ran to the top from the other side. To run it this way would have been a bit steeper but shorter.
    4574781976_110f0cf886.jpg

An impression of the running terrain on the trail up towards Croagh Patrick...
    4574781366_c9215830af_b.jpg

Nearly there...
    4574782558_a6737bc298_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Picture courtesy of John Shiels / Action Photography. Full set on imra site...
    4576359210_1e0e5d3ec5_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Fantastic stuff Slogger. I was looking over at Croagh Patrick on Saturday wondering how in the world anyone can run it. I must get my act together and get over there and walk up it one of these mornings :)

You are some monster Mick. Either of those races would have killed a mere mortal. That photo of your descent just gives me the shivers. I like the 'nearly there' photo. My kind of terrain. Tarmac country roads and gentle hills. :)

Congrats on another great set of results and a massive improvement. I'm very jealous of your hill skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

Views to die for and which could kill you if you weren’t careful.

The trill of racing in the Mountains brilliantly summed up in one line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Bloody hell .. I had to sit down after seeing that photo of the descent above ! Congratulations.

This was a video made by one of the lads descending...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT3mms6t0tg

• Advertisement

According to the event details this was 7.58k, 317m of climb. I'd no garmin for once so I was running blind so to speak, which for once wasn't a bad thing.
    Legs felt heavy after the weekend's activities. I'd followed that up with a comfortable 34k cycle on Monday and a 5k jog later that day. The weekend had caught up with me yesterday and I'd a chesty cough so no running for me. I was touch and go as to whether to run.
    Run I did and it didn't work out too bad. I held my own (ish) on the climb. Lost 1 maybe 2 places when the legs started to not function. However, made up for it on the fireroad that leads to the finish when I overtook 3 runners in quick succession before the end. Finished 12th in 34:15. A Pb for the route, but thats on a dry mountain whereas in recent year's it was anything but.. Still I was within 14% of Barry Minnock's winning time so I'll take that.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32717015

On a fine morning I headed down the road towards Bunclody for what I knew would be a nice sociable race and so it was. Jane and Graham Porter serve up some of the best races around. I've driven past this hill many a time on the way to Enniscorthy and little did I know of the delightful trails that were hidden up off the road. There was about 30 runners lining up to run. Some of the lead guys from the previous race in Kilbrannish were absent but I didn't recognise half of the field so you don't really know what to expect / who to look out for.

Knowing nothing about a route can be good and bad. At over 11k I knew there was no sense heading out too fast. There was the promise of long drags of hills later in the route too. So it proved. In actual fact there were undulating hills from relatively early, but none too long before you were flat or downhilling again. In the early to mid stages of the race I was positioned 3rd, the lead 2 having stretched gradually away from me. On the big hill however I could see that the gap between me and 2nd was closing so that gave me some heart and I dug deep. I was able to take off a bit on the technical downhills and gradually the gap closed and I managed to nab the 2nd spot with a few k to go. Could I hold on though? Up another hill and down some steep technical trails to the finish. Yes was the answer. 2nd in 46:23. 4:09 pace. Fast pace for a hilly trail race which I'm chuffed with. A nice gathering afterwards in the Moss House Pub in Bunclody where pretty much everyone got some sort of prize.

Miles this week: 48.4
    4 races in 8 days. Maybe races is the new training :)

Great running Mick. Enough of the bridesmaid, time to step up and be the bride. :D

Great running Mick. Enough of the bridesmaid, time to step up and be the bride. :D

This was a training run for the WWR. I'm under strict orders from Major General d'pop. Today's tempo run was just what the doctor ordered :D

This was a training run for the WWR. I'm under strict orders from Major General d'pop. Today's tempo run was just what the doctor ordered :D

And my whip will tan the behinds of any bridemaids (or brides) I find slacking in their training:D

Well done to everyone who got recces in the last few days, leading by example. Some great weather to be in the mountains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement