Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lugnaquilla

Options
  • 01-01-2010 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Did anybody manage to get in the vicinity of Lugnaquilla today? I was thinking of going tomorrow! Can anybody advise on the state of the roads and which access point is easier to reach by car (4x4)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

I went up it today. Driving there wasnt easy, took alot of concentration. I was not able to get my car up home from Donard. If I was going to go to Lug from this side, I would not drive the normal route. Instead of turning off the N81 for Donard, I would take the next turn. It starts with a steep hill, but overall the inclinations are not as severe as going via Donard.

A fellow hiker took these when were on Lug yesterday:

One more:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

larryone wrote: »
    A fellow hiker took these when were on Lug yesterday:

Wow! Amazing images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

cool......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Fab. Like a different planet.

The guy I was up there with is alot more experienced than I am. He did use the word "artic" to describe it. I remember being up there in the summer in shorts and a vest. I've never had to use my fleece balaclava and my thinsulate one at the same time before.

There were some who went up with crampons, but they werent strictly necessary. One guy was having great fun on a pair of cross country skis. One of the local girls went up with a 6 month old puppy, there were other dogs too, with ice clinging to their coats.
    Ice also clinging to beards...

The cairn at the top was considerably shorter. A number of prominant features, like the boulders at percys table, were either invisible or difficult to recognise.
    The spindrift was amazing to watch, as were the formations it was giving rise to. In some places there was a layer of ice ontop of the snow, which would not always support my weight.

Oddly, there wasn't even the slightest breeze on camarahill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I so wanted to be up there today. My desire to be up there was only surpassed by my desire not to die driving to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Was down there for a drive this afternoon, took the route advised above, roads were passable although slippy in places and fresh snow falling, take it easy and you should be OK, if you are nervous driving on snow and ice practice on a wide flat area first so you get a feel of how the car will react, otherwise hike a little further!

Where did you go up?

• Advertisement

Didn't climb, only drove as far as Fenton's, not enough time to do any more, maybe next weekend with skis!

You might have to use the skis to get there.
    The roads have gotten even worse.
    The road into Donard from the N81 has been treated, but very little else in the area. That one was necessary to keep the supplies/postal connection going.
    Most roads are just compacted snow and ice. I dont know if the road further south to get into the Glen of Imaal has been treated. There are two shops on that road, so it's a possibility. Given that the initial part of it is steep, they might have treated just that bit so cars can stop as they come down the hill to the main road.

That first steep incline was dry on Saturday but who knows now and more snow is on the way. I would imagine they'd keep it clear for locals now the country is getting more grit.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Off topc sorry :) I'm over in the states at the moment, what are the hills like snow wise on the west coast anyone know?? 2 winters in a row wicklow gets dumped with snow, jammy feckers!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Wow, some really nice pictures! Fair play to you!

Lug looked wonderful (from a distance in Aughrim), in late afternoon light, today. As did neighbouring peaks like Croaghanmoira. Almost Alpine-like. The problem would be getting there :)

I'll see if I can get some photos of it from the top of Lobawn tomorrow.

Here you go..
    4256902867_02dfa589ba_b.jpg

Others on my flickr page here

Advertisement