Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Ds

Options
  • 01-01-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hey im new to boards.ie and thought id give it a go as ive seen articles on it before and it really does help.

I had a psp in the past and never really found it that good there is not enough good titles for it and i only ever used it to watch tv shows i had put on it.

I am now thinking of getting a Nintendo DS and was wondering does anyone have one and are they good? I have played and completed the professor layton game and that is what has got me into it. I love mario so there seems to be a good few titles that can keep me entertained, -(mario 64, new super mario, mario kart etc)

What I want to know is has anyone had any problems with a DS before. Also what is the deal with the R4 card thing. I know you can put downloaded roms on to it and play them on the DS but do they work properly ? Do all the games save ok ? and if so is there any faults to the R4 card or does it damage your DS in anyway

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I've been thinking about getting one too, to while away the commute.

I've looked into it a bit and mainly problems with downloaded games on the cards seems to be those that were copied across incorrectly, mainly from disreputable sources. ;)

I've also been told by plenty of people and magazine articles that the DSi isn't worth the money. I've been looking around for a decent Lite 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cftb_11

exactly what ive been doing man, not interested in having a camera in it, i dont know what the craze to put cameras in everything is . I have my digital cam and thats does just fine like.

But ye i want a second hand one was hoping to get one for around 50 euro if possible.

Do you know anything about the r4 card thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

cftb_11 wrote: »
    exactly what ive been doing man, not interested in having a camera in it, i dont know what the craze to put cameras in everything is . I have my digital cam and thats does just fine like.

But ye i want a second hand one was hoping to get one for around 50 euro if possible.

Do you know anything about the r4 card thing

Most of the problems I've been reading about (I don't know anyone who owns a Ds so can't ask) have been:
    1) Early models had a mechanical failure where the spring in the chassis broke really easily, causing the cards not to be secure and thus unreadable. Not a concern from "lite" onwards really, afaik. It's a warrantable failure anyway so all good on that front.
    2) Illegally copied games not working because the pirate didn't copy the relevant firmware onto the system as well as just the files. Reads to me something like not having the right drivers or registry files for a pc game. Dunno, no one in any thread I read was complaining of the issue in regard to homebrew or otherwise legally downloaded games.
    3) Only up to 2GB cards are supported. 4 and up apparently aren't read, though some people say they should be able to.

:D I've been trawling the web about it and that seems to be the sum of the issue.

Edit: Bear in mind, this is just from reading forums. I don't have a Ds nor know anyone who has. Maybe someone who does will post and reassure us! ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Welcome to boards, cftb!

Normally I'd move a thread like this, but I can't since it covers 2 mutually exclusive topics (the DS itself and flash cartridges).

To ask about flash cartridges, please use the Console Modding forum.
    To ask about the DS itself (positives, negatives, best games etc.) please use the Nintendo forum.

Closing this thread now, but feel free to start new threads in the linked forums... cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement