Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend LED spot light to replace kitchen halogen spot lights

• 01-01-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Our kitchen halogen spot lights have been given trouble lately. The bulbs switch off and then when you attempt to remove them they sometimes flicker back on.

Our electrician suggested that the transformers needed to be replaced and suggested LED replacements for lower electricity usage.

He suggested purchasing some in B&Q.

Any recomendations on brands etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spida

You really don't have a lot of choice in B&Q. There are only two brands of LED spots there (in my nearest one anyway). There's a grey & green brand that has a range of wattages that you will probably end up going for.

I would like to replace my own too just because they are so much more energy efficient but when I went to buy them I noticed that even the 'equivalent' wattage is well below the wattage of the spots that I have in at the moment so I presume the light they give off would be much dimmer. I'd be interested to hear how you get on if you do go for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toe2toe

there are some led under cabinet lights due into lidl on thursday 14 95 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

that sounds like you have loose lampholders rather than a faulty transformer. Do not go to the likes of b and q for the bulbs-go to an electrical wholesaler where you will get much more choice and advise at half the price.
    Robus, Aurora, EcoPal all manufacture LED and CFL bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i bought the type in b&Q . they where not great . I put the normal type back in to my spots as the cold pale blue and dim light from the led bulbs was terrible.

will dig out the brand later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

Depending on what style of light you have. There is a new Megaman on the market. It is a very low voltage type LED. These are downlights mainly and if that is what you are looking for. If not PM me and I will give you some direction for places to go and see to check out lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Dopey wrote: »
    Our kitchen halogen spot lights have been given trouble lately. The bulbs switch off and then when you attempt to remove them they sometimes flicker back on.

Our electrician suggested that the transformers needed to be replaced and suggested LED replacements for lower electricity usage.

He suggested purchasing some in B&Q.

Any recomendations on brands etc?

Sounds like the fly lead from the transformer needs replacing. They are cheap in a wholesaler and easy to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭spida

gsxr1 wrote: »
    ... and dim light from the led bulbs...
    That confirms (or at least back's up) what I found when checking out the 'equivalent wattage' numbers in B&Q. Thanks GSXR1.:)
    gsxr1 wrote: »
    ...the cold pale blue ...
    Though this blue-colour may be because you can buy them in various hues, white, blue, red... Just make sure you notice this when buying if you do decide to go for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i would go to wholesalers alright if changing to energy- saving.
    there's 'aurora' and 'megaman' among others in 'cfl' for kitchens

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

davelerave wrote: »
    i would go to wholesalers alright if changing to energy- saving.
    there's 'aurora' and 'megaman' among others in 'cfl' for kitchens

Thanks for the posts. Are the energy saver kitchen spots inferior to the halogen bulbs?

By the way davelerave, what do you mean by 'cfl' for kitchens? Can someone post where to get the 'aurora' and 'megaman' please?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

Stupid Me. CFL = Compact fluorescent lamp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

the electrical wholesalers will have the 'latest and greatest' if you call in.
    something bright like a 14watt megaman or aurora 10watt in 'cfl '
    i'm sure there's others,prob not 'led' though for kitchen

Advertisement