Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the roads gritted?

Options
  • 01-01-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭

I'm off work at ten and have to drive from the airport to swords and then to Finglas. Will be leaving at ten and just wondering if anyone has been out gritting the roads? Anyone mad enough to be out in them and know what they are like?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I'm off work at ten and have to drive from the airport to swords and then to Finglas. Will be leaving at ten and just wondering if anyone has been out gritting the roads? Anyone mad enough to be out in them and know what they are like?

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bullfinch1

i had to collect some friends late last night ,it was like a skateing rink
    as they could not get taxies ,people were slipping on the roads ,hitting their heads ,it was so slippery ,had to drive over to kylemore road ,most of the cars & taxies could not get over the bridge ,and had to turn back
    it was very dangerous, only today my son was outin his car another car plowed into his car from the back ,a fair ammount of dammage was done to his car ,the bumper is hanging off, the side panell is split in two
    thank god everyone is ok , nobody was hurt, my advice to you is
    drive very carefully if you have to use your car ,if you take it easy you will get their safely best wishes b.f.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Was out at 11 this morning in the area of tonlagee/malahide rd. No gritting done there & the roads were lethal. Worst I've ever seen them. Haven't heard of any gritting at all. I'd be sure they'll be worse by now

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

The roads don't seem to be gritted in city centre either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Do you have to come near Finglas? Roads are lethal here. N2 pretty bad so you can imagine what the non main roads are like.

• Advertisement

Yeah I live in Finglas so no avoiding it im afraid. I've no other option unless I walk.

Roads around the airport and swords seemed ok. Finglas was a nightmare. Just kept it in second and kept my distance. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

No main roads in crumlin walkinstown or long mile road gritted
    Council staff were off today nyday

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Jet Black wrote: »
    Just kept it in second and kept my distance. .

glad you got home safe but just for the record keeping the car in 2nd gear is really a bad idea. when you are driving in severe icy conditions you should keep the car in the highest gear possible, to keep the revs down. it makes it easier to control the car if you slide

i am in finglas,and the roads here are horrendous still

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭daisyplant

Anyone kow if hte Dublin roads have been gritted today. Need to drive from the City Centre to Lucan if possible. Cheers, Daisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

daisyplant wrote: »
    Anyone kow if hte Dublin roads have been gritted today. Need to drive from the City Centre to Lucan if possible. Cheers, Daisy.

Not around Sherrif St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Chapelizod is bad apparently...

Finglas is still horrible. I need to get food in... OH is walking to Lidl as it's nearest shop... Cars sliding around the corner here... There's some fecking eejit out doing wheel spins on purpose, doing it all morning. Can't see his reg though so can't call Gardai, doubt they'd do anything about it in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

been from the airport last night but once past the m50 have yet to see a place that has any grit on it. Government once again seeing they do what they do best, little or feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

in fairness local authorities to blame so a local authority problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I took that into account, it's all the one. Like as soon as we get a bit of a chill the place comes to a standstill in places, it's fcuking ridiculous. I see they got their finger out this morning in places previously left to thaw itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

jdivision wrote: »
    in fairness local authorities to blame so a local authority problem
    Where the the local authority get the money from?
    Paths are still very dagerous . Was just out to the shops and slipped twice and I'm a young thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone know what the foothpaths are like in around the city centre (Stephens Green, Grafton St etc) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Gormley said today that not one local council/authority in the whole country has applied for extra funding for gritting....

Maybe its just me, but there seem to be a lot there reading between the lines...

The M50 was gritted cause its a toll road, and toll roads are done by private operators

Advertisement