Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice for injured cat please.

Options
  • 01-01-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Just got a call from my little sister - her cat has come in to the house and is bleeding from about her back leg. She purrs if sister just pets her, but when she tries to have a look to see how bad the cut is she moves away. Apparantly there's a pack of dogs hanging around the valley all day - mum's dog is hiding inside all day - so sis rekons one of them attacked her.

Was wondering if, assuming the cat will let her touch the area, is there anything she can put on it to help her? Or is she better to let the cat keep the wound clean herself? She can't get out to shop 'cos of ice so she's relieing on whatever stuff the average house has.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

fozzle wrote: »
    Was wondering if, assuming the cat will let her touch the area, is there anything she can put on it to help her?

Warm salty water should help, but she may need a shot from a vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would bring it to a vet asap and get it treated in case the wound gets infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Thanks guys. Just talking to her again - she thinks there's a few cuts now rather than one big one. Cat has had a drink and is sleeping now, though she wakes with a jump at every little noise. Sis will bring her to the town to the vet tomorrow morning as soon as she can get out, hope kitty's okay - she's a darling who drools all over you when she's happy - so cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I would take the cat to the vet it could some sort of infection from those dogs and I dont think cats are as good as dogs for cleaning wounds get it seen to before it gets worse
    (btw cats purr when they are in pain as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

as TskTsk said, warm salty water, try and clean it best you can, try putting a face cloth in boiling water to sterilise (leave it cool off) then wipe the wound with warm salty water, see if there are any foreign bodies in it i.e. grit/dirt and try to get them out, if poss bit of savlon antiseptic on it, if not gaping large wound leave open to heal - if it is a large open wound try to pull it together and seal it, sutures are ideal, or micropore tape - if not superglue works a treat (have used this on myself - so it's safe)

• Advertisement

BluesBerry wrote: »
    I would take the cat to the vet it could some sort of infection from those dogs and I dont think cats are as good as dogs for cleaning wounds get it seen to before it gets worse
    (btw cats purr when they are in pain as well)

Ah thanks, didn't know that - worked with a vet years ago but 'twas all large animals. She's gonna bathe as much of the wounds as the cat will allow and hopefully she'll be all right until morning 'cos noone will get in or out from where sis is tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Paul91 wrote: »
    as TskTsk said, warm salty water, try and clean it best you can, try putting a face cloth in boiling water to sterilise (leave it cool off) then wipe the wound with warm salty water, see if there are any foreign bodies in it i.e. grit/dirt and try to get them out, if poss bit of savlon antiseptic on it, if not gaping large wound leave open to heal - if it is a large open wound try to pull it together and seal it, sutures are ideal, or micropore tape - if not superglue works a treat (have used this on myself - so it's safe)

Paul, with all due respect, the OP's sister can't see what happened to the cat because the cat won't let her. Against that backdrop, she could have been injured in literally any way - hit by a car, attacked by another cat, shot with a BB gun - you have no idea. I wouldn't be supergluing shut any injury against that backdrop, because there could be foreign bodies of any kind in the wound. You can't see what or where they are without proper examination or even x-ray under sedation, and the vet will often shave the sedated cat to get a proper look at the injuries.

If the cat is bright and alert, she should keep her movement limited, give her water but NO FOOD, and take her to the vet first thing in the morning. The vet can do a thorough examination. Cats hide their injuries very well indeed, and there can be serious underlying injuries with little evidence (dying and injured cats will often purr - we don't know why - perhaps to comfort themselves?)

One suggestion, OP, if the cat will allow it - get your sister to squeeze her paws gently and take a look at her claws. Front claws should be sharp, rear claws are blunt. In a fight, there will often be blood, flesh or fur under the front claws, and and a claw may even be pulled right out. After a car accident, the front claws will often be scuffed and broken, because on impact the cat puts claws out to stop itself sliding across the tarmac or gravel on the road. It may just give you an idea of what you're dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Paul, with all due respect, the OP's sister can't see what happened to the cat because the cat won't let her. Against that backdrop, she could have been injured in literally any way - hit by a car, attacked by another cat, shot with a BB gun - you have no idea. I wouldn't be supergluing shut any injury against that backdrop, because there could be foreign bodies of any kind in the wound. You can't see what or where they are without proper examination or even x-ray under sedation, and the vet will often shave the sedated cat to get a proper look at the injuries.

Very good point, I don't think advising people to conduct makeshift operations on animals open wounds using Superglue is a very good idea. Just because Superglue apparently works on a human has no bearing on if it will work on a cat- two different species.
    My cat got hit with a pellet gun once, and hid it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

At present. because of the weather, we are completely cut off; and it is always good thus to know what to do without a vet.

So thank you for ideas here.

One of our cats came in limping badly; clearly in pain. She had all but torn a dew claw off.

Bathed it by holding her gently and dunking the leg in warm salted water ie without touching the wound, then put sugar on it.

No real stress on her and it healed in a few days.

We keep anti biotic ointment etc in in case of infection.

Magenta wrote: »
    Very good point, I don't think advising people to conduct makeshift operations on animals open wounds using Superglue is a very good idea. Just because Superglue apparently works on a human has no bearing on if it will work on a cat- two different species.
    My cat got hit with a pellet gun once, and hid it completely.

Graces7 wrote: »
    At present. because of the weather, we are completely cut off; and it is always good thus to know what to do without a vet.

So thank you for ideas here.

One of our cats came in limping badly; clearly in pain. She had all but torn a dew claw off.

Bathed it by holding her gently and dunking the leg in warm salted water ie without touching the wound, then put sugar on it.

No real stress on her and it healed in a few days.

We keep anti biotic ointment etc in in case of infection.

What was the purpose of the sugar?

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. Kitty demanded to be left out this morning so sis left her out and she wandered around the house and garden, said hi to the dog, went to the loo and then ate some food. (hadn't seen your post Sweeper). Sis says kitty seems happy enough today - no noticeable stiffness and she let sis handle her a bit more. Mum has persuaded sis not to bring her to the vet :mad: I'll get her to check her claws, though there may be no point at this stage.

Thanks very much for all the help and advice folks.

Oh, but Paul91, I really wouldn't mend your wounds with shop-bought superglue. Superglue was originally made for first aid for soldiers and is still used by doctors today (I've had my head glued) but it's a much purer form than most of us have access to and is sterile, unlike "regular" superglue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

just trying to help :( my advice was to be taken in case you where unable to get to a vets and the wound was gaping open - sorry

just trying to help :( my advice was to be taken in case you where unable to get to a vets and the wound was gaping open - sorry

Even in that case, Superglue would not be a good idea. The fumes alone would be very dangerous- animals sniff everything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Just a quick word on the superglue, if you ever get an animal bite it should not be glued. I would think its the same for animals, humans are more my thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

Do foxes attack cats, there is a fox coming to my garden and eating what fall off the bird table and what the cats leave after them, are my cats in danger

That's alright - just hoping to stop you using it on yourself again.

It helps heal wounds.

An old, old remedy which is finding renewed approbation today, as many of these are.

It works amazinglyly.

As does honey from sugar-fed bees.

See

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_sugar_do_for_an_open_wound_in_animals

There is research now on using sugar plus a form of iodine against the MRSA bugs in hospitals.

As this thread shows, there are times when you just cannot get to a vet, and you learn other ways thus.
    Magenta wrote: »
    What was the purpose of the sugar?

Most cats will fight back and they can also climb trees to stay safe.

Wild life in snow/ice bound areas are getting desperate now. Maybe leave food out for the fox?

When the weather eases, they will go back to normal
    baubl wrote: »
    Do foxes attack cats, there is a fox coming to my garden and eating what fall off the bird table and what the cats leave after them, are my cats in danger

Advertisement