Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Matt Smith Preview

Options
  • 01-01-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭

Thoughts? Visually it looks very promising, but
    The Doctor using a gun and a hammer?
    I'm not convinced yet, but I'm sort of hopeful. Also,
    VAMPIRES? To go with the Twilight doctor maybe? :p

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lots of stuff going on, so it's hard to tell so far (although it wouldn't look as dark as we might have hoped).

It does seem though that we're going to get a sequel to:
    Blink
    which could be very interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Weeping Angels, Vampires, looked like a new style Dalek, and was that Yvonne Hartmann I saw?
    Promising indeed. Also in keeping with meeting a historical figure every year, he's going to meet
    Vincent Van Gogh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has that YouTube video been yanked already? It's not playing for me. Loading, but not playing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    Has that YouTube video been yanked already? It's not playing for me. Loading, but not playing.

Had the same problem, just move the little bar in to 10 seconds and it will load.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think that video's broken; here's anothe source:

Thoughts? (I'm not spoiler tagging because the video itself is spoilery)

- I see there's at least one kissing scene between the Doc & assistant. Sigh.
    - More Daleks. Sigh. Though daleks in ww2 does cause interest.
    - Are those reptilian creatures ... Silurians? That could be awesome.
    - Blink aliens return & harass soldiers. How very "Aliens" :D
    - Vampires. Well we had witches, so it couldn't be any worse than that
    - Overall there's a strong looking aethestic. It looks a bit more ... cinematic? Are they using new cameras or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

0:24 - River Song

Yes! Really wanted to hear more about the Doctor's take on the Time Traveller's Wife. Loved the book and, as such, have avoided the movie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Looks good... Very happy that the Weeping Angels are back... I'm more positive about the series, because Moffat is in charge now, but I think Matt Smith has big boots to fill after Tennant...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

trailer01a.jpg
    trailer02g.jpg
    trailer05.jpg
    trailer09.jpg
    trailer10.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

trailer11.jpg
    trailer03.jpg
    dws5trailer-00030.jpg
    dws5trailer-00049.jpg
    dws5trailer-00048.jpg
    trailer04.jpg
    dws5trailer-00035.jpg
    dws5trailer-00033.jpg

dws5trailer-00032.jpg
    dws5trailer-00029.jpg
    dws5trailer-00028.jpg
    dws5trailer-00027.jpg
    dws5trailer-00024.jpg
    dws5trailer-00023.jpg
    dws5trailer-00021.jpg

• Advertisement

trailer12n.jpg
    trailer25.jpg
    trailer27.jpg
    trailer28.jpg
    trailer29.jpg
    trailer31.jpg

trailer32.jpg
    trailer33b.jpg
    trailer34.jpg
    trailer36.jpg
    trailer37.jpg

The Master wrote: »
    trailer10.jpg
    Please oh please let that be the sonic screwdriver being destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

How are we feeling about the
    Geronimo!!

I'm unsure of it as yet.
    Also unsure about the snogging, but it's inevitable.
    Glad to see River Song but to be honest I don't want to see it as a big massive romance. It narrows down a lot of options!
    Loving the Blink angels being back.
    Loving the vampires.

Generally, really f*king excited!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

trailer32.jpg
    Jaysus, even the outfits and sets look old-school in this one :)

Jaysus, even the outfits and sets look old-school in this one :)
    All we need now is for the walls to shake when someone bumps into them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Glad to see River Song but to be honest I don't want to see it as a big massive romance. It narrows down a lot of options!
    Done right, this could be incredible. The problem with The Doctor & Rose was that she was always going to be looking at him as a semi-deity. Introduce River Song as an equal and it has the makings of a great story arc...

(disclaimer: I'm drunk on whiskey which always brings out the ould romantic in me)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

True that Sleepy, and River Song is a much better character than Rose on the whole.

I just don't want it to consume the next few years of the series! From what was hinted at in Silence in the library etc... they were pretty intense!

But I'm sure it won't be! Moffat wouldn't go down that road. And don't get me wrong! I do love a *bit* of romance in the series, just don't want it all to be about River Song.

I'm still grappling with Geronimo here. It just sounds like something out of a B movie... but then again it could grow on me, as did "fantastic"....

ixoy wrote: »

I hate to break it to you but from what I recall, it gets destroyed, but apparently is conveniently replaced by a new version, just in time for the new line of toys :rolleyes:
    I'm still grappling with Geronimo here. It just sounds like something out of a B movie... but then again it could grow on me, as did "fantastic"....
    Not an immediate fan of it myself, but to be fair it may only get sparing use. Don't like catchphrases as a policy though ..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

There's definitely something abou thte way that's shot that makes it look very nice.

I'm liking the little we've seen of 11 so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It is.
    but he gets a new one, remember River Song will be needing one in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Looks like it could be quite good. I wouldn't panic about the kissing etc etc just yet as we don't know the context. If you saw Donna and Doctor 10's kiss out of context, you could read the same into it.

I think Matt Smith, coupled with some good writing and good production could carry this off :)

flazio wrote: »
    It is.
    but he gets a new one, remember River Song will be needing one in the near future.
    Bugger. Well maybe he'll tone down its overuse - the Library duology seemed to suggest this may happen (when the sonic screw driver didn't work on wood). I'm watching Season 6 episodes and the use of the sonic screw driver (by Troughton's Doctor) is kept to a minimum so far and not used as a cheap cop out to excuse the writer from thinking about plotting.

I wonder what Matt Smith's thing will be:

#9 was mentally scarred from the Time War and generally a bit tetchy.
    #10 was a goofball-happy person with tendencies towards a god complex (and how)
    #11 ... uhhhh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

i don't know the romance with river stone might be good. Might explain where the drs grandaughter came from in the very first dr who series.

might also explain the person wilf was seeing. Might she be the Drs mother/sister/daughter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

I think under Moffat he will be fine. Looking forward to it already.

Blink 2 is a risk though...it has so much to live up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Kastiel

If I remember correctly it gets replaced by a laser screwdriver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Like the look of this A LOT. Can't wait for this series. I seem to be one of the few people who enjoyed last nights episode (you probably already saw my OTT, horrendously long post in the thread) but still think RTD reached his peak a long time ago and that a revamp is desperately needed.

This looks like it could be phenomenal and even thought I've seen very little Old Who I can still see that it looks a lot more old school.

Basically bring on Spring!
    amen wrote: »
    might also explain the person wilf was seeing. Might she be the Drs mother/sister/daughter?
    I'm not the only person thinking along those lines then!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

phasers wrote: »

Haha I thought I was just being daft and sentimental thinking she was his mum. :P

Advertisement