Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Matt Smith Preview

Options

Comments

I am so looking forward to this. Stephen Moffat is an amazing writer. The faith is there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I meant to say earlier; I'm not sure if I'm happy to see the Daleks back. obviously they couldn't be gone for good, they're one of the Doctor's greatest enemies but they've so many 'impossible' come-backs in the past few years I had hoped that they would be gone for a good while this time rather than reappearing next season. Still I like Steven Moffat as a writer so there could be a very good explanation for their return.....if RTD hasn't used all the credible ones. :P (I do like RTD but his return storylines were a bit desperate at times).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Looks like a tardis redesign on the cards too. No interior shots of it in that clip and it was getting redecorated by explosions when last we saw of it. Oh yea and crashing. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Wibbs wrote: »
    Looks like a tardis redesign on the cards too. No interior shots of it in that clip and it was getting redecorated by explosions when last we saw of it. Oh yea and crashing. :)

If you want to see the exterior design blogtor who has some nice shots of it.

Interior... was always on the cards, I saw interviews with DT where he said the set was falling apart anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

magpie electrical, another throwback to older days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Interior... was always on the cards, I saw interviews with DT where he said the set was falling apart anyways.
    I'd like something a bit more old school. And maybe something more of the interior beyond the console room - sure it was never much a feature of the show at any point, but what harm can it do? I reckon that the Doctor might switch to the secondary console room if the first is messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm sorry, but he still looks like Harry Potter's big brother to me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

ixoy wrote: »
    I'd like something a bit more old school. And maybe something more of the interior beyond the console room - sure it was never much a feature of the show at any point, but what harm can it do? I reckon that the Doctor might switch to the secondary console room if the first is messed up.

Me too. Was just watching Castrovala- another Mastery-regenerationy story, funnily enough- and the massiveness of the Tardis is a big point in it. And the white clinicalness of it has somehow gone from being old fashioned to cool looking for me again.

Also I want the roundels back!

Me too. Was just watching Castrovala- another Mastery-regenerationy story, funnily enough- and the massiveness of the Tardis is a big point in it. And the white clinicalness of it has somehow gone from being old fashioned to cool looking for me again.
    Same. I mean if they jettisoned 25% of the TARDIS now (as I recall they did in 'Castrovalva') it would have no meaning as we've never seen any of it. It'd be good to see a long journey to some necessary part of the TARDIS, like the Cloister Bell once was (hell even give us a companion's bed room or the costume room).

Roundels ftw!

ixoy wrote: »
    Same. I mean if they jettisoned 25% of the TARDIS now (as I recall they did in 'Castrovalva') it would have no meaning as we've never seen any of it. It'd be good to see a long journey to some necessary part of the TARDIS, like the Cloister Bell once was (hell even give us a companion's bed room or the costume room).

Roundels ftw!

We did see the costume room! In tens first christmas episode.

But yeah, you could do an entire episode, set within the depths of the Tardis. I'd love that in new who. think what they could do with CGI backgrounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How are we feeling about the
    Geronimo!!

I'm unsure of it as yet.

I've rewatched the 10th Doctor regeneration scene a few times and the new Matt Smith preview a few times, and each time I have to mute the sound when he utters that word. I can see it becoming extremely irritating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He's got a helluva hard act to follow. The previous two guys were seriously talented actors external to the Dr who arena. Tennants Hamlet was well worth a punt. And Eccleston has put in some bloody great performances over the years. The new guy is an unknown quantity on that score. Plus you had the good looks of Tennant. He had the kind of look that appeals to all, men, women, kids. The new guy is younger and looks more awkward. Maybe Im wrong but I wouldnt have down as good looking? Maybe it'll actually help him. Fair play for him trying it though. Big weight on shoulders time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well Tom Baker wasn't exactly a looker either and it did his popularity no harm. Matt Smith is a bit awkward looking but that tends to suit the role.

Very true. Baker was a well proven actor with a lot of charisma though. He also had an appealing face, not in a sex symbol way of course. That mad eccentric grin etc. Plus the show was a different beast back then. No hanky panky with the doctor at all. You couldnt have say william hartnel or someone like him today. Then again maybe it needs to get back some of that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Very true. Baker was a well proven actor with a lot of charisma though. He also had an appealing face, not in a sex symbol way of course. That mad eccentric grin etc. Plus the show was a different beast back then. No hanky panky with the doctor at all. You couldnt have say william hartnel or someone like him today. Then again maybe it needs to get back some of that?

Tom Baker? He wasn't that well known when cast, and his previous roles were fairly minor from what I read (I think I saw him in a Sinbad movie once)

i'd say in order to continue it's popularity it'll need to because yes, the show will have got loads fo new kiddy followers, but like Harry Potter it'll need to grow with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Not My pics, there from Scooty on Gallifrey base

and also photobucket is blocked here in work so cant even tell if these are the right pics:)

Could someone please post below and let me know if any of these need to be removed?

DSCF0614.jpg

DSCF0603.jpg

DSCF0612.jpg

DSCF0611a.jpg

they're the right pics all right.

Looks nice and victorian-ey.

Was kinda hoping for white roundel land though :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Tom Baker? He wasn't that well known when cast, and his previous roles were fairly minor from what I read (I think I saw him in a Sinbad movie once)
    No he wasnt well known outside acting circles. Mostly a stage actor, though he did play rasputin in a big movie at the time and the sinbad thing. He has screen presence it has to be said. The mad eyes etc. I wonder if the new lad will have that presence. Too early to say yet though. Hes kinda like a peter davidson type. In that he has to fill a helluva big pair of shoes.

Like the interior stuff. Very steampunk at first glance, which is tres fash ATM anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 louicious09

I have to say despite the fact i adore tennant in my opinion its looking good. Its his first year doing it and he's an extremely competent actor so I'll wait and see. Beside David tennants first few episodes were far from brilliant. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Beside David tennants first few episodes were far from brilliant. :rolleyes:

They were written and portrayed by humans so they were "BRILLiant!".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just watched confidential last night. The music was even more over-blown than in recent episodes!

Stark wrote: »
    They were written and portrayed by humans so they were "BRILLiant!".
    Oh you are good you are. Just think - they were able to get on a computer and type all this stuff out! AMAZING! Only humans could write scripts like those!

I really hope Matt Smith's Doctor has more of the "stupid apes" line of thinking than the human love-in. The Doctor has always been fond of Earth, but the gushing enthusiasm of DT's Doctor was too much to handle often.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm really looking forward to the new series I have to say. I was getting pretty tired of David Tennant truth be told and I was quite glad they cast someone relatively unknown / slightly odd looking.

I love Alex Kingston too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Stephen Moffat has a track record of catchphrases. The Geronimo catchphrase will be here to stay in my opinion.
    He had that kid walking around saying "Are you my mommy?".
    Blink had the Doctor saying the line "Don't Blink".
    Silence in the Library had the hilarious Proper Dave repeating "Hey, who turned out the lights?". :) (loved that)
    Can't remember if the episode with the girl in the fireplace had anything???? anyone know?

He also used the line EVERYBODY LIVES in two of his stories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wish BBC would release a nice HD version of the trailer, as there's some decent scenes I wouldn't mind enjoying in high definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Does anyone know if they are continuing shooting in HD, or have they stopped again after the specials?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I don't know Aidan but I'd assume they will continue with it. It's one of their biggest shows, provides them with a lot of income. I'd say they can afford to pump that bit more money into it as a flagship for the HD channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can't remember if the episode with the girl in the fireplace had anything???? anyone know?

Cant remember if it had a catchphrase but it did have the epic;

Reinette:
    This is my lover the King of France.

Dr.
    Yeah. Well I'm the Lord of Time.

Loved it.

• Advertisement

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Cant remember if it had a catchphrase but it did have the epic;

Reinette:
    This is my lover the King of France.

Dr.
    Yeah. Well I'm the Lord of Time.

Loved it.

Moffat was in his early banana phase during girl in the fireplace.

Don't ask!

Advertisement