Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of wood to use ?

• 01-01-2010 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello All,

I am looking to build some wood shelving and presses on either side of the chimney brest, something similar to the attached photo.

Has anyone completed a project of this type before ? If so, do you have any recommendation on which wood to use? It will be painted white after install.

Thank you

shelving_around_fireplace.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

make the shelves for mdf and buy wooden cornicing and mouldings for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

Maybe if you get somebody out to measure and design what you want and as the last poster said make it out of MDF. My reason for this is that you can then get it primed and Spray painted for a better finish. If you need any more info PM me and I can help you with some names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If you decide to make it yourself out of MDF you can get very god results when finishing by using those mini paint rollers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Francob

Thank you All,

Mdf seems to be the recommended wood. Do any of you see any problems regarding warping if 2 or 3 mdf boards are glued/screwed together to create a thicker shelf ?

Thanks for advice so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 WexfordGirl

No problem bonding sheets together (will be perfectly stable) but need to take a lot of care sanding the edges well to hide the joint

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Francob wrote: »
    Thank you All,

Mdf seems to be the recommended wood. Do any of you see any problems regarding warping if 2 or 3 mdf boards are glued/screwed together to create a thicker shelf ?

Thanks for advice so far

I've built many a press, cabinet, box etc have to say mdf is not that good. It does have its use but not in a living room, not for me anyway. mdf looks like mdf, even after painted. You have no give with mdf, all measurements have to be spot on, all cuts 100% square. Mdf, splits, cracks, all sorts while working with it. Plenty more give with wood.

If I was building something like yourself, I'd go plain old wood and anything internal I might use mdf. When working with wood, you can work it better even without the best woodworking tools. It's softer, better to work with.

Last bit of mdf I've used was a pre made rad cabinet, after I fit it, I placed a cup of tea on top, it was a bit wet on bottom of cup. A while later, mdf under the cup expanded from dampness, left it for a while but the raised part never came out so had to take it down, then used mdf rad cab as a template and built new one out of pine board.

Living room has fires, drinks, people, children, not sure how well mdf would last or look in a living room.

Forgot to mention, building something like in picture would be very difficult to do so, using only mdf. To build something like above you'd have to use wood while building frames and stud work. mdf comes in sheets, not enough support in frame / stud work if they are only cut from mdf sheets.

Advertisement