Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cows Milk for Puppy?

Options
  • 01-01-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

my OH's brother just got a 6 week old pup, jack russel miniature, yes i know far too early to take from mother but too late now (they didn't speak to me before getting him)

Now i always though that cow's milk was not great for dogs - especially puppies, pretty sure my Vet even told me that when i ended up with my 6 in September, but the brother-in-law took the pup to the vet to get his first set of vaccinations, and his Vet apparantly said to give the pup cows milk with puppy nuts?

anyone have scientific reasons for - against please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Goats milk im sure is better for pups than cows milk or you can buy a milk supplement from pet stores and vets. I know Royal Canin do one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hkenn1

Hi.Be gentle with me as it's my first day.As far as i know cows milk is not suitable for you animals. It doesn't have the mineral content the bitches milk would have. I'd be very reluctant to give cows milk to any animal,They don't break it down and can cause dogs {from experience} to have accidents in the house.I think you can get a powered milk for puppies. Try the big pet store in kinsale road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well... yes and no.

Some people give their dogs cows milk and other dairy products and there's no major side effects. Some people try it with their dogs and they get the runs etc.

Generally dogs are considered lactose intolerant, but that's 'generally' - not always true.
    A small amount may not be bad for some.

Regarding puppies - well if they've been given cows milk already and their stools are still solid they might be ok. They can develop lactose intolerance as they grow out of the puppy stage though. Personally I wouldn't give it to them, or at least try to wean them off (as the pup is still quite young, it might use the calcium).
    That's just my opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Goats milk im sure is better for pups than cows milk or you can buy a milk supplement from pet stores and vets. I know Royal Canin do one.

yep used goats milk for my six couple of times - they loved it! lactol is the "official" powder milk for puppies that i first got for mine but at €20 for small tub bit expensive for 6 German Shep/Newfoundland pups so got large bag of lamlac (for lambs and kid goats) from the co-op for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Goats milk gives my pup the runs but depends on the dog, would keep a close eye on the pup if they are put on cows milk. Ensure he's giving the pup a high quality food (avoid ped chum and the like) the puppy food can be softened by putting a bit of water in if the pup finds it hard to eat. Something like Burns puppy is ideal for small breed puppies.

• Advertisement

Would he not try to give the pup some puppy food? Even at 6 weeks he should be able to have some bland food. Try boiled chicken and rice and blitz it to make a paste. He'll still have to give lamlac but it'll be cheaper if the puppy can eat semi solid foods.Just buzzed the farmer next door and he said lamlac is perfect for small babies but he also gives them goodie. A mix of bread,water and milk.I think it could be trial and error.

google strikes again - the science - dogs don't produce lactase and therefore can not break down lactose

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2108&aid=704
    Cow’s milk has the sugar lactose. Dogs do not have the enzyme lactase that is necessary to digest it. That is why they often develop diarrhea or softer stools when fed milk. Most humans produce this digestive enzyme. Those that do not are said to suffer from milk intolerances. Dogs do not need fresh milk.

Google strikes again.Pity it can't give people the sense to realise babies need to stay with their mothers for as long as possible. The demon euro sign on their backs must be too irresistible. Thats not directed at your brother in law.He probably saved the poor might from being dumped.

hkenn1 wrote: »
    Google strikes again.Pity it can't give people the sense to realise babies need to stay with their mothers for as long as possible. The demon euro sign on their backs must be too irresistible. Thats not directed at your brother in law.He probably saved the poor might from being dumped.

have to agree with you there - wouldn't let any of ours go till 9 weeks - even though it cost me financially

My dad many years age rescued 7 very tiny terrier pups from Grand canal in dublin. They were thrown tied in a bag into the canal as my dad and 4 other soldiers passed in a truck. They managed to get the bag but 4 pups had drowned and the other 3 were very poorly. We tube fed them for 2 days but it was too late for 2 of them. The 1 little chap that made it was to make my teenage years rememberable. Tell you brother in law to try his best and hopefully he'll reap the rewards of a crazy,cat chasing,physco but wonderful little dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Try a little bit and see how your pup reacts. I've used cows' milk for my dogs and they've reacted fine, no side effects, etc. I think it depends on how you feed it, how much and how long you feed it for.

Obviously, mother's milk is preferable, but if you're stuck and there's no other option, then give it a go. You could try heating it with some warm water and adding a little bit of glucose or sugar to dilute it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Starlights

I wouldnt use cows milk, with it being so young, you can buy powdered milk thats closey resembles mothers milk, Lactol and you can get that in petshops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

i use lamb-lac powdered milk on pups when weaning and until there bout 8 weeks. cows milk is fine after that i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭spiderdog

id put him straight on a good quaility complete puppy food, soak it in warm water!!!
    he doesnt really need any extras but you can offer some natural yogurt/cheese etc.
    offer the soaked biscuit meal four times a day alternating it with the cheese/yougurt!!!
    id be steering well clear of cows milk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

From talking to the lady I got my Older dog from(she gave me updates from about 4 weeks) I thought cows milk was a no no, she used goats, milk warm water and baby rice(yes the stuff you give babies) mixed with wet food and then dry puppy nuts soaked in the same. She gradually cut out the milk and baby rice until when I got him at 9 weeks he was eating dry food with a little wet food mixed in. The quality is important too, as I'm sure you know, as well as how often. At 9 weeks mine was eating 4 times a day. At 6 weeks and being so small I'd say more often.

Have since discovered my dog doesn't tolerate milk well (his breed often don't), but natural yogurt seems ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

If you can get to a pet shop, there's a milk subsitute called lactol. I've used it in the past and it's worked a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Hi, i definately wouldnt give cows milk. you can get Welpi which is a puppy formula or royal canin does one that includes a bottle and everything. i could soften the puppy nutts for a few weeks just use water and then wean off onto the hard puppy nutts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tench

cows milk is fine if your stuck just break an eeg into it gives it a higher it a higher level of proten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Does Dog milk not have Lactose in it as well?

I was under the impression that all young mammals produced the enzyme (lactase ?) to metabolise the sugars in milk (lactose) as babies but generally stopped as they got older and stopped drinking their mothers milk.

I obviously need to validate that assumption, anyone any links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

ok, according to "The dog breeder's guide to successful breeding and health management By Margaret V. Root Kustritz"

There's about twice as much lactose in goat's milk than bitch's milk (even more in cows). Seems the best things is to get a powder from the vet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement