Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

friends sisters ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 martin699

It all depends on the friend... if its a really good friend then prob not unless your very serious about it and want to marry her...
    if its a guy you know but dont hang out with him too often but would still consider him a friend then I dont see the harm...
    The whole knowin someone for more than an hour means their sister is off limits is a load of c**k...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

What about younger sisters of friends girlfriends?
    Are there extra jealousy bonus points awarded? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

NO NO NO If a friend of mine tried to go out with my sister he would soon be my ex friend. If the roles were reversed i would decide whats more important, friendship or sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

If someone treats women badly or hurts people, I don't want to be their friend. Honestly can't understand why you'd want to be a friend with someone like that, but make the exclusion that they aren't allowed hurt people close to you, per se.

Personally, if one of my friends wants to date one of my sisters, all the best and I hope it turns out well but if it doesn't, I expect the people I call friends (and my sister) to act like adults and not cause any huge rift or anything. Sure a little bit of awkwardness, but that can happen with any breakup IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Have seen one case where it ended in marriage, the other case it put a strain on the friendship...it is on a case by case basis, probably better to leave well alone unless it is a serious relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I generally wouldn't date a friends sister as its changes the whole dynamic of the friendship. You pop out to the pub with your friend for example and his sister who you're dating is there. I doubt he wants to spend the night out with his sister but as she's your girlfriend you sort of have to invite her over if you get me :p.

If there's any sort of bad break-up that's probably your friendship down the toilet as well. On the whole, there's so many women out there without these added complications that I don't know why you'd put yourself through it.
    Bingo, you always think they are is kind of weird Freudian **** going down.

Definately, I always find over-protective brothers extremely creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

MY friends were talking one night and it came up about a friends sister and how she was single,anyways, he said he had no problem with one of his mates dating her,HE even said I'd be good for her...Nothing ever happened..

Roll on 6 years, and a month after my wedding I was talking to the sister (she wasn't able to go to the wedding) and jokingly I got on to her about not been there and how it might have been tough on her to see me getting married...She smiled and said "you had your chance with me and ya blew it!!"

I have always liked her because she is my friends sister and a good person, But I never thought of her like that...And I never really got any vibe from her about how she felt about me....

But anyways such is life...I am now seven months married,and there is a little LoanShark on the way..So life is good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Ask the mate first, and only if you want it to be a serious relationship.

Thankfully I don't have a sister.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A good mate of mine dated a mutual friend's sister. They had a rough break up and it made their friendship quite awkward

Fortunately the friendship was strong and survived but the sister isn't too keen on him which makes certain social occasions awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Why the taboo. Is it the sex thing.

My sister is married but when she was dating one of my brothers and my dad used to give her boyfriends a real hard time and there were some really nice guys.

When I was young there was a really hot girl who was in to me and her father was a colleague of my mothers and the big prob I had was she looked like her dad and it was his face and curly hair that I snogged. *shudder*

So does having sex with a friends sister even if you are in a relationship cause that much of a problem or indeed who your sister has sex with is really none of your business.

I have a 17 y/o daughter and I don't know if she has slept with anyone but then it is none of my business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

CDfm wrote: »
    My sister is married but when she was dating one of my brothers and my dad used to give her boyfriends a real hard time and there were some really nice guys.

Why Punctuation Matters: Exhibit A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

brethrenbeforewenches.jpg

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Why Punctuation Matters: Exhibit A.

OK , I should puntuate more, but you get the drift. I didm't understand this code of conduct 20 years ago and less so now.

In my book my sister could make a choice of who she slept with and she did date one of my friends. Why should it have bothered me. Now, I didn't want them snogging in front of me and so on.

Its a kind of bad indictment on your friends or them on you if you don't date each others sisters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

If you just want to rattle your friend's sister then that is not really on, even if it none of your friends business, but if there is something more then it's nobody's business but their own. There are friends of mine who I wouldn't have minded going out with my sister, they are good guys who don't mess women around, while other friends would have been a spectacular no-no. I know of a number of situations where it has led to marriage, as long as the sis is being treated well then game ball. It also gives you carte blanche on your friend's sister, failing that a cousin, hot young aunt, milf mother, you get the picture.

Like it or it is none of your business and its the decision of the people involved.

Your kids or sisters are not your property and while certain situations do make you uncomfortable - I reckon its down to not feeling about siblings and hot aunts that way.

With your friends sisters it is kind if the same - it would be odd to think of them as hot in the context of your friendship with their brother and discussing it would be off limits.

That does not make a relationship off limits but puts boundaries on your discussions and probably the reason you wouldn't date a friends sister would be if you were going to behave badly.

So there is a bit of a mystery about this code of conduct.

• Advertisement

The Orb wrote: »
    If you just want to rattle your friend's sister then that is not really on, even if it none of your friends business, but if there is something more then it's nobody's business but their own. There are friends of mine who I wouldn't have minded going out with my sister, they are good guys who don't mess women around, while other friends would have been a spectacular no-no. I know of a number of situations where it has led to marriage, as long as the sis is being treated well then game ball. It also gives you carte blanche on your friend's sister, failing that a cousin, hot young aunt, milf mother, you get the picture.

There's a huge difference between a sister, a mother and a cousin. I couldn't give a **** if a friend was dating a female cousin ( I see them so rarely they're basically strangers) but dating your friends mother is a big no-no for nearly everyone I'd imagine.

There's a huge difference between a sister, a mother and a cousin. I couldn't give a **** if a friend was dating a female cousin ( I see them so rarely they're basically strangers) but dating your friends mother is a big no-no for nearly everyone I'd imagine.

I agree -but there is a difference between a sister and a mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Being honest i think all of you who said no should locate your balls.

who gives a sh1t weather shes your mates sister or not, so what you kiss you fall out You ened up going out with the girl your friend wont talk to you...

would it bother me ? No why because friends come and friends go..... simple as that. Having said that, I would be respectfull to my mates sister. But if my mate had a problem well its his problem not mine.

I think its ridicules saying the above comments to be honest.

You all have such an irish careing about every body else but your own happiness.

Fvck that......

I agree -but there is a difference between a sister and a mother.

100% agree, I don't have any sisters but I certainly wouldn't care who she was seeing if I did, it'd be her life. On the whole I'd avoid friends sisters as there's enough girls in the world without the added complications of weird Freudian stuff going on with the brother. But dating a friends mother-wooooah thats just a no-no in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Of course, I was trying to lighten the mood,. The issue is not so complicated, if two people, and I mean adults, want to be together then thats all that matters. If something happens and if there is fallout well so be it, that can happen and people have to deal with it like they do with many other life situations. If I liked a friend's sister and she liked me then I would tell him, not ask if he minds. I wouldn't pay any heed to some locker-room bull like bros before hos. Don't deny yourself the possibility of something.

• Advertisement

Of course, I was trying to lighten the mood,. The issue is not so complicated, if two people, and I mean adults, want to be together then thats all that matters. If something happens and if there is fallout well so be it, that can happen and people have to deal with it like they do with many other life situations. If I liked a friend's sister and she liked me then I would tell him, not ask if he minds. I wouldn't pay any heed to some locker-room bull like bros before hos. Don't deny yourself the possibility of something.

+1

Sorry, trying to lighten the mood is difficult online-you can never tell wehn someone is being serious or not :pac:

I was being serious :D

BopNiblets wrote: »
    brethrenbeforewenches.jpg

Bollix when your mates geta gf and begin a long term reletionship they change.... not for the worst but its a fact...

+1 And thats a mouthful Snowey -when your friends get into relationships themselves this brotherhood evaporates.

+1 And thats a mouthful Snowey -when your friends get into relationships themselves this brotherhood evaporates.

I dont think it evaporates. But it certanley changes... Like all my friends have gfs except for 1 other and he just works all the time so for a long time i kept my soical circle in a point of around these friends but a man can't operate like that hes gotta meet new people walk a path I'm single im gonna meet new people not gooooooooooooo

Oooooo all my friends have girlfriends il use a dating site yada yada yada all you gotta do is widen you soical circle... Boards has been great for that in certain respects ... there friends they stay were they are they understand what you want in life and what they want are different things... :)

This weekend me and the boys are getting sh1t faced sounds like a plan

back to mine loud music drinking rum :D

but thatsa nother thread me thinks :)

P.A.R.T.Y because Its right to

So in one way there is the "need" to protect ones sister and be respectful to female relatives and this courtesy is extended at times to the siblings etc of our friends. Nothing wrong with that & this can be invoked by the said girl if desired to.

A line gets crossed if we start treating women unequally and making their choices for them as grown adults. Its disrespectful to the women and belligerent to the men they date or have relationships with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Like it or it is none of your business and its the decision of the people involved.

Your kids or sisters are not your property and while certain situations do make you uncomfortable - I reckon its down to not feeling about siblings and hot aunts that way.

With your friends sisters it is kind if the same - it would be odd to think of them as hot in the context of your friendship with their brother and discussing it would be off limits.

That does not make a relationship off limits but puts boundaries on your discussions and probably the reason you wouldn't date a friends sister would be if you were going to behave badly.

So there is a bit of a mystery about this code of conduct.

It's not really about the sex, it's more about the social impact of relationships. The majority of them end, and a good percentage of those end badly.

Either your sister will end up ****ing over your mate, or vice versa.

No one wants to be dealing with that ****.

It's not really about the sex, it's more about the social impact of relationships. The majority of them end, and a good percentage of those end badly.

Either your sister will end up ****ing over your mate, or vice versa.

No one wants to be dealing with that ****.

Ah but I am way over that and am a divorced Dad and the situations I have to deal with are grumpy issues.

I reckon though as mates settle down and have homes of their own with a partner,families, careers etc, these things are less significant. In the same way if my kids fall out with someone or break up it does not impact my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's not a sex thing. It's more a respect thing.

I have three best mates. I have known one since I was 6, another since I was about 12, and the 3rd I have known since I was about 16. I wouldn't date their sisters. If I did, I doubt they'd have a problem with it, and I wouldn't really have a problem with them dating my sisters. Out of respect, I wouldn't chase their sisters, but if it was the sisters who made the first move, it'd be cool.

Some people, though, they apply the rule to anyone they know. I don't really agree with this. For best mates, yes, but for someone you breifly know, no.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    It's not a sex thing. It's more a respect thing.

but say one of the sisters asked you to be their partner to a wedding or a debs how would you react ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

but say one of the sisters asked you to be their partner to a wedding or a debs how would you react ?
    As I said
    the_syco wrote: »
    Out of respect, I wouldn't chase their sisters, but if it was the sisters who made the first move, it'd be cool.
    I'd be cool with it. I'd let him know that I was going with his sister, and I can't see them having a problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

id go and have gone for brothers ;)

they both had different qualities....one was better looking, the other more sensible and treated me better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm seing my mates sister. shes 24 and I'm 26. My mate, her dad is in his 50's. I've deliberated over the girl for a long time the whole will I / wont I thing and it kinda happened by accident. Been seeing her now for a few weeks and its all going great as I kinda thought it would. How does he take it? He dont know yet. We agreed to see if there was something to tell first rather than involve other people and if it went tits up or we didnt get on then there was nothing really to tell in the first place and upsetting them over nothing. So its been 100% positive for us so far. Now I want to tell her parents and especially her dad but shes holding me back on it. Saying not just yet. I dont like the secrecy and they deserve to know. Finding it very hard to look him in the eye knowing I'm with his daughter and he has no idea. I do respect girls and have no ill intentions towards the girl or any girl for that matter. Shes not a notch on the bedpost nor were any of my ex's. Its an unusual situation and one I've never been in before. Life would be so much easier if things were out in the open and my mate (her dad) knew. Would he be cool about it? Well I diont know. he knows I'm a good lad and she'd be in very good hands but shes still his daughter at the end of the day but he has to know in my book. Dont know how this sits with other posters or what ye think but if a guy is genuinly amd about a girl and shes genuinly mad about him then whats wrong with it?

Advertisement