Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primitive Questions

• 01-01-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Santa got an Xbox for my son and whilst I am a handy enough IT user I'm a complete numbskull when it comes to the xBox and HDTV etc.

I followed the instructions and hooked up the xBox to my Samsung Plasma PS-42C7HD HD Ready tv using the Composite AV Cable which came in the box. Gameplay looks OK as do DVD's played on the xBox but menus look very dull and the writing is very difficult to read. I also had to set the xBox to PAL 60 as some games won't play on the original PAL 50 setting which to me seemed to offer a higher level of definition both ingame and specifically in terms of making the menu's legible than PAL 60.

The questions I have are:-

1. Will the Composite AV Cable which came with the xBox give me the best quality definition for gameplay/DVD's and menu legibility or are there after market cables which will allow me to use the one HDMI slot on the TV or the component inputs even? If so where in south dublin can I get them and how much can I expect to pay?

2. Which is the right PAL setting 50 or 60?

Regards and Happy New Year to all.

Ben

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm guessing your telly is HD? You should be using 5 (possibly 6) of the wires for component rather than just the 3 for composite. Also make sure the switch is set to HDTV rather than TV.
    I can't say whether you want Pal 50 or 60 tbh, when I switch TV sets I'm prompted to switch if needs be. make sure everything's connected in component and it should prompt you to choose the correct setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

It seems the new units don't come with the component cable, only composite?

Is there a HDMI connection on the rear of the Xbox, most new models have them?

Jev/N wrote: »
    It seems the new units don't come with the component cable, only composite?

Is there a HDMI connection on the rear of the Xbox, most new models have them?

Wow. That's bloody annoying.

OP, pick up a HDMI cable somewhere, the cheaper the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You may need to change the console settings to 720p or 1080i. Go to the furthest right on the dashboard (when you boot up the console with no disc) and you will find system settings. Display, and change it to 720p or 1080i.

To get HDMI, you'll need a HDMI cable. There are some Xbox 360 models that come with HDMI support. Mine doesn't. It could be your one doesn't have HDMI support. Should probably check the manual to check. Though, honestly, once you have it set to either 720p or 1080i (and changed the switch on the cable plugged into the console to HDTV as suggested) it should be fine.

Edit: Hm, typed a bit too slow there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All 360s now only come with the standard cables.

Best thing to do OP is pick up any HDMI cable, you'll get one for about €10-€15 any more and you are getting robbed, some sales people try and justify €100 price tags for HDMI cables.

Connect up your 360 with the HDMI cable and you'll see a big difference even on the menus.

Wouldn't worry about the PAL settings, just change it if and when you need to.

• Advertisement

Pushtrak wrote: »
    You may need to change the console settings to 720p or 1080i. Go to the furthest right on the dashboard (when you boot up the console with no disc) and you will find system settings. Display, and change it to 720p or 1080i.

To get HDMI, you'll need a HDMI cable. There are some Xbox 360 models that come with HDMI support. Mine doesn't. It could be your one doesn't have HDMI support. Should probably check the manual to check. Though, honestly, once you have it set to either 720p or 1080i (and changed the switch on the cable plugged into the console to HDTV as suggested) it should be fine.

Edit: Hm, typed a bit too slow there.

It's a new XBox, it definitely will have a HDMI output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

amacachi wrote: »
    It's a new XBox, it definitely will have a HDMI output.
    Oh, right. That is good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Buy a hdmi cable it saves all the messing around just check the back of the xbox to make sure it has a hdmi port. Then either go into tesco(kinda poor quality hdmi cables and can break quite easily) powercity do them actually any electronics shop and get one for under a tenner because you shouldnt spend anymore then that on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

OP, as others have suggested, get a HDMI cable (€6.50 in tesco), hook it up, set your display to 1080p (or whatever your highest res is) under display settings on the xbox and you're good to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Lads,

Super info thanks.

Got a bog standard HDMI cable, plugged it in and bingo I'm in business. I changed the settings to 1080i (whats the difference with 1080p?) and all seems well. The writing on the menu's is actually clear and the in game picture is a sharp as a blade.

Wanting to be the proud gadgety Dad I brought my 8 year old son in afterwards and asked him what he thought of the much sharper picture and he said "it's ok but I kinda liked the dark shadowey picture before". Unbelievable!!!

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

BenEadir wrote: »
    Lads,

Super info thanks.

Got a bog standard HDMI cable, plugged it in and bingo I'm in business. I changed the settings to 1080i (whats the difference with 1080p?) and all seems well. The writing on the menu's is actually clear and the in game picture is a sharp as a blade.

Wanting to be the proud gadgety Dad I brought my 8 year old son in afterwards and asked him what he thought of the much sharper picture and he said "it's ok but I kinda liked the dark shadowey picture before". Unbelievable!!!

Ben

Lol! 9/10 people prefered HD picture there's always one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

1080p is what you want if your HDTV supports it, it refreshes the image faster than 1080i which has to make two passes to produce each image.

Advertisement