Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

96 FM Cork

• 01-01-2010 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Last night while out working New years eve had the radio on in the car listening to my local radio 96fm cork. only for being out myself if I had to go by the presenter from 9pm onwards you would think that the weather/roads were so bad out that it was the end of the world.He said do not venture out stay in the roads are so dangerous and I was driving all day and until 4am no problem! I have spoken to others who tell me that if u listened in the morning during last cold spell u would not have got out of bed.why are these DJ's now think they are professional weather men..just play the music please and shut up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭omerin

roads werent too bad, but better to be safe then sorry. temps were forecast to go to -8 so cant blame them for the warning. cork is the largest county in ireland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭veronica

omerin wrote: »
    roads werent too bad, but better to be safe then sorry. temps were forecast to go to -8 so cant blame them for the warning. cork is the largest county in ireland ;)

his job was to play music not to make comments when he did not have all his facts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

veronica wrote: »
    his job was to play music not to make comments when he did not have all his facts!

I can never figure this out; if people want "just music", then buy yourself an iPod!!!

Radio is - or should be - about much, much more than just "music"; and that includes keeping people in touch with events/conditions in their locality.....that's why it's local radio!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

The job of a DJ is much more than a talking robot between songs in cases like the above.

It very much IS the job of the DJ to tell people if the roads are bad (they were bad on New Years Eve, bus services in Dublin were pretty much not happening yesterday so I seriously doubt Cork was basking in a heatwave from the tropics!), why shouldn't a DJ save a listener the hassle of going out, waiting for a bus and finding out there's none?!

I presented a radio show only today and above all the requests for people and songs the biggest question was "are the buses running today do you know"?

If you're working on a station serving a local area you are in a league of your own in times like bad weather when compared to the likes of Today FM and 2FM because you can tell the listener what they need to hear and you can be guaranteed there's someone listening that you're connecting with.

You don't have to like it but they're the facts of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 54321

MarkN wrote: »
    The job of a DJ is much more than a talking robot between songs in cases like the above.

It very much IS the job of the DJ to tell people if the roads are bad (they were bad on New Years Eve, bus services in Dublin were pretty much not happening yesterday so I seriously doubt Cork was basking in a heatwave from the tropics!), why shouldn't a DJ save a listener the hassle of going out, waiting for a bus and finding out there's none?!

I presented a radio show only today and above all the requests for people and songs the biggest question was "are the buses running today do you know"?

If you're working on a station serving a local area you are in a league of your own in times like bad weather when compared to the likes of Today FM and 2FM because you can tell the listener what they need to hear and you can be guaranteed there's someone listening that you're connecting with.

You don't have to like it but they're the facts of it.

Totally agree. I was listening to the same show while driving across Cork and it was very enjoyable to have well picked music (96FM do this very well), fantastic imaging (new music is flagged in a really sharply edited sweeper) and a presenter that interacted with and entertained the audience (Hats off to Emmet Kennedy, easily one of Corks best radio presenters, even if he's a Kilkenny man). It was cold and with temps at 1 degree you can't be too careful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭veronica

54321 wrote: »
    Totally agree. I was listening to the same show while driving across Cork and it was very enjoyable to have well picked music (96FM do this very well), fantastic imaging (new music is flagged in a really sharply edited sweeper) and a presenter that interacted with and entertained the audience (Hats off to Emmet Kennedy, easily one of Corks best radio presenters, even if he's a Kilkenny man). It was cold and with temps at 1 degree you can't be too careful.

Yes I agree show was enjoyable but this information was not correct the roads may have been bad in the county but no problem in the City.As regards 96fm doing it well it's the same format since they first started the station just a pop station!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Yes I agree show was enjoyable but this information was not correct the roads may have been bad in the county but no problem in the City.

Maybe they should have made the distinction; 96/103 setup is a little strange, though.....firstly, even though 96 was originally a city station, with County Sound covering the county, they've since merged (103 taking over 96) and they do both tend to overlap the 2 areas in order to provide a choice for most of the day.

And this provides more confusion at the other times, when they relay each other.

So you might be right in saying that a city/county distinction would have been handy (I can't say, because I didn't hear it) but I'd also be conscious of the fact that - with so much of Cork on hills - there would still have been large parts of the city that were probably still very, very dodgy with ice.
    As regards 96fm doing it well it's the same format since they first started the station just a pop station!

If it ain't broke.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 TXCork

The Gardai (within the city) were telling people who phoned up checking on Road Conditions not to travel unless totally necessary. The roads were extremely dangerous near Mayfield (Barnavara Hill was a sheet of Glass) as well as a burst water main near Dillons Cross (which is still being repaired today 05:01:2010)

With regard to the county, alot of people myself included have moved to "satellite towns" from the city and listen to 96fm.

We had one fatality in Cork over Christmas which tragically left a family minus a father/husband, due to poor road conditions. They have my deepest sympathy and as I presume, that of most posters in this forum.

If 96FMs updates saved one life or prevented one injury, then they did an excellent job. What do you expect, them to give a road by road breakdown of which is good and which is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Their coverage was very good.

I usually listen to Radio 1 (rte), but I wanted the cork road story... RedFM have their news at 10 to the hour, but when I eventually realised that their coverage wasnt great, I mean it was all up the country, do RedFM have their own news, and if so does it switch to some national feed from 5pm onwards or something?

96 seemed to have their own cork news all day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 TXCork

RedFM News Service finishes after the 17.50hrs bulletin, and there is no way to contact the studio except via text message.

96FM operated text and their 1 850 number as well as their newsroom number.

Barry O'Mahony and David O'Sullivan along with the presenters did trojan work keeping people informed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement