Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colour blindness?

Options
  • 01-01-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any experience with colour blindness in kids? We have 2 two year olds. One knows all his colours no problem but the other one thinks everything is pink or blue??? He knows the words for the colours but if you ask him the colour of something he always says blue or pink. If I say no, he will start guessing other colours.

Now we are not sure if this is just him being slow learning his colours or whether there is a problem. Anyone experienced this before? We will mention it to the doc the next time we are there but just wondering if anyone had thoughts on it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

Get the kid to the doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ludo wrote: »
    Now we are not sure if this is just him being slow learning his colours or whether there is a problem. Anyone experienced this before? We will mention it to the doc the next time we are there but just wondering if anyone had thoughts on it.

Sounds like he could be just slower than the other child. Check what a doctor says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

I'm a preschool teacher and children are often slow to learn their colours. He's only 2 after all.
    My son didn't know some of his numbers till he started school and he did 2 years of preschool.
    Don't worry about it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Aged 2 is a little early to know all colours. My DS "failed" his colour test at his 3 yr PHN assessment but after a few months of me going "look at the red car, yellow banana etc" he got it. Don't be too worried yet. The doc will prob tell you to give it more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Your PHN should be able to help you at your next meeting with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

About 10% of Irish males have some degree of colour blindness. It is very common, and isn't a big problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thanks guys. Not worried about it to be honest (not like it is a huge deal anyway as nothing can be done about it if it is colour blindness) and only reason it came up is because his brother knows them all so that set us thinking.

Anyway, I did a test with him this morning and he organised a load of coloured blocks into groups according to their colours without any problems....still referred to them all as pink and blue though lol. I guess it is just the association of the colour names he is not getting yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

you can see simple colour blindness tests on line - just google it. At 2yrs though he's probably too small to really test unless he knows his numbers too. As you say, there's not much you can do about it even if is colour blind but by not worrying too much and not letting him see you are worried is a big thing too. Kids will often persist in calling something by the wrong name for long long after they know the real name - especially if they know the parents are worried or annoyed by it. I had daughter who persisted in calling an apple "a red" for ages - "if an orange is called an orange why can't an apple be called a red". She also called her brown shoes pink - " its a nicer colour isn't it ". I could hardly argue with that one

nesf wrote: »
    Your PHN should be able to help you at your next meeting with them.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...good one.

The PHN in our area is the biggest waste of space ever. She gave absolutely terrible advice to ourselves and our cousin who also had a child at same time as us. Luckily doctor spotted problem during a routine check as they were premature and got it dealt with. We had even asked the PHN about the problem and she said it is nothing...idiot. Same thing with cousins child...PHN said something can be ignored and doctor went ballistic when he found out what she said.

We both wrote letters of complaint, as did another neighbour, about her to the HSE...no reply and she is still there doling out her useless and potentially dangerous advice to unsuspecting new parents.

We both wrote letters of complaint, as did another neighbour, about her to the HSE...no reply and she is still there doling out her useless and potentially dangerous advice to unsuspecting new parents.
    See http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/ysys/Complaints/ for details of the HSE complaints process, including details of the designated complaints officers. I've heard of a couple of people who got good results via the Your Say service. Don't let this stuff go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ciara7

My brother is 100% colour blind it only affects some colours but its not a major problem he is 20 now and fine they were some jobs he couldn do like mechcanic, electrican etc..
    I think it runs in families and only affects boys.
    I'd say get him checked but he is only two so they may not do to much yet. Good luck

Ciara7 wrote: »
    I think it runs in families and only affects boys.
    I'd say get him checked but he is only two so they may not do to much yet. Good luck

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

It is much more common in males than females - From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness
    Color blindness affects a significant number of people, although exact proportions vary among groups. In Australia, for example, it occurs in about 8 percent of males and only about 0.4 percent of females.[21] Isolated communities with a restricted gene pool sometimes produce high proportions of color blindness, including the less usual types. Examples include rural Finland, Hungary, and some of the Scottish islands. In the United States, about 7 percent of the male population – or about 10.5 million men – and 0.4 percent of the female population either cannot distinguish red from green, or see red and green differently (Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 2006)[citation needed]. It has been found that more than 95 percent of all variations in human color vision involve the red and green receptors in male eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...good one.

The PHN in our area is the biggest waste of space ever. She gave absolutely terrible advice to ourselves and our cousin who also had a child at same time as us. Luckily doctor spotted problem during a routine check as they were premature and got it dealt with. We had even asked the PHN about the problem and she said it is nothing...idiot. Same thing with cousins child...PHN said something can be ignored and doctor went ballistic when he found out what she said.

So basically you are generalising from your one experience with one PHN to the entire population of PHN's to conclude that they are all crap?

Also, asking someone about the age children learn colours is a very different thing to a medical assessment, no?

PoleStar wrote: »
    So basically you are generalising from your one experience with one PHN to the entire population of PHN's to conclude that they are all crap?

Also, asking someone about the age children learn colours is a very different thing to a medical assessment, no?

Where did I generalise in my post? Can you highlight the generalisation for me in my post? I said the PHN available to US is useless. I never said anything about other ones as I have no experience of them. If you are going to have a go like that and accuse me of things then at least read the damn post properly before flying off the handle and throwing about silly accusations.

I already said I will ask the doctor about it next time I am there. I simply dont trust our PHN to boil a kettle let alone do anything related to a child.

It is much more common in males than females - From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

;)

Advertisement