Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cash discount on skoda octavia?

• 01-01-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi,
    I will be very specific in my question so hopefully I will get a knowledgeable answer. I am thinkning of using the scrappage scheme to purchase the new 1.6 diesel Skoda Octavia Ambiente. The list price is 20,940. I would also hope to add the ESP and curtain airbags options (of which I have no idea of the price).
    Any ideas what I should expect to pay? I do plan to actually go and call to a few dealers, but I have a very specific budget and perhaps I am wasting my time.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

With options you're looking at a factory order.

ESP is standard equipment on the DSG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

I'd try to stretch for the elegance for the extra spec (alloys, rear parking sensors, rain sensors, etc). it's worth it.

expect an 8-12 week wait for factory options such as curtain 'bags.

Also, skoda are doing a 1500 bonus on scrappage deals.......

Was allowed 3k off one based on trading in a 99 golf - so my cost to change would be about 20,600 for the bells and whistles Elegance.

a lot of car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

Will the discount be less on a factory order vs standard?
    Yeah the elegance looks nice but I really want ESP and the curtain airbags (mpg and safety are my main criteria). Adding those to the elegance would def puch me over budget.

My hope would be that I'd get the ambiente plus add-on for 19k but thats without knowledge at the moment on the price of the add-ons. I am guessing about a 1k looking at the cost in other cars.

albob wrote: »
    Will the discount be less on a factory order vs standard?
    Yeah the elegance looks nice but I really want ESP and the curtain airbags (mpg and safety are my main criteria). Adding those to the elegance would def puch me over budget.

My hope would be that I'd get the ambiente plus add-on for 19k but thats without knowledge at the moment on the price of the add-ons. I am guessing about a 1k looking at the cost in other cars.

Based on the co2 figures, the scrappage scheme allows you 1500 + skoda are allowing 1500 at present, so you're total 'discount' will be in the region of 3,000.

The dealer i spoke to was giving me the same deal, even if I was to order Xenons from the factory, which I am still considering.

He didn't even need to look at the trade-in, once he knew it (and I) qualified under the scheme.

By the way poster, your list price for the 1.6CR Tdi ambiente looks interesting. The price list I have from Monaghans in Galway says €22,200 incl delivery for that particular model???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

What are you planning to scrap against it, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

By the way poster, your list price for the 1.6CR Tdi ambiente looks interesting. The price list I have from Monaghans in Galway says €22,200 incl delivery for that particular model???

My price is based on the pdf price list available on the skoda website.In fairness it does say ex-delivery. So delivery is ~1300e? Damn....was not expecting it to be so much. That puts a spanner in the works.
    The dealer i spoke to was giving me the same deal, even if I was to order Xenons from the factory, which I am still considering.
    What is the drawback with Xenons i.e. if you can get them at no extra cost, why would you not go for them?

What are you planning to scrap against it, if you don't mind me asking?
    99 Toyota Corolla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That list price probably doesn't include metalic paint or delivery and related charges.

Be warned! Skoda Ireland have a habit of not updating their website regularly. Not only that, but dealers have varying charges for delivery and metallic paint. I've come across differences of €300 in the past.

The Xenons are a cost option so they would increase the price of the car. I was told I'd have to wait 12 weeks by the dealer - that's what was stopping me.

99 Corolla - I'd say 3k allowance based on my what I've experienced. But I'd do the rounds of the dealers with all this 'delivery' variations, because, at the end of the day, the 'cost to change' figure is all that counts.

dealer I spoke to in November said they were increasing prices after January.
    Could've just been talk though.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    dealer I spoke to in November said they were increasing prices after January.
    Could've just been talk though.

Cheers for the heads up, colm. I better get my skates on next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

If one of your main things is safety, why are you looking at a car with a 4 star ncap rating.

If I were you I'd be looking elsewhere...

From my looking into it, one of the main reasons they failed to get 5 stars was the lack on the curtain airbags. Also, the ncap rating is based on the 2004+ models. The new model has yet to be tested as far as I can see.I don take your point though. Value for money was another criteria of mine.
    Also, the ncap rating is based on the 2004+ models. The new model has yet to be tested as far as I can see.

Isn't the "new" model just a facelift?
    Also the current NCAP is a hell of a lot harder to pass than the one that was there in 2004. most pre 2009 cars wouldn't pass it TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Isn't the "new" model just a facelift?

Yup, unless the new front end changes the pedestrian rating I can't see much difference

Look at the new NCAP test on the Avensis. a whole lot more severe than before, especially side impact and pole test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQLRam6IKBA

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This might be worth reading.

p.s. Basic safety equipment such as airbags shouldn't be optional extras imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From my looking into it, one of the main reasons they failed to get 5 stars was the lack on the curtain airbags. Also, the ncap rating is based on the 2004+ models. The new model has yet to be tested as far as I can see.I don take your point though. Value for money was another criteria of mine.
    Also, the ncap rating is based on the 2004+ models. The new model has yet to be tested as far as I can see.

It's more or less the same car since 2004, it only received new headlights, bumpers, 1.9 TDi replaced with 1.6 TDi and slight changes to the dashboard switchgear. Only a mid life facelift. No new Octavia until 2012.

Thanks for the info guys. Not into cars enough myself to know difference between new/facelift. If it looks different its new to me (I'm sure its for people like me the car manufacturers do facelifts) So 4 star ncap it is.
    Perhaps a 2nd hand car is a better option for me. The Skoda was ideal due to its somewhat lower price compared to comparable cars. Then again 4 stars aint that bad!?! Best for me to get an actual "how much would it cost me to change" figure and then look at 2 hand alternatives. The ones I would consider are all too expensive new (VW Jetta/Golf, Ford Focus).

Thanks for the info guys. Not into cars enough myself to know difference between new/facelift. If it looks different its new to me (I'm sure its for people like me the car manufacturers do facelifts) So 4 star ncap it is.
    Perhaps a 2nd hand car is a better option for me. The Skoda was ideal due to its somewhat lower price compared to comparable cars. Then again 4 stars aint that bad!?! Best for me to get an actual "how much would it cost me to change" figure and then look at 2 hand alternatives. The ones I would consider are all too expensive new (VW Jetta/Golf, Ford Focus).

Best of luck with it; let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Look at the new NCAP test on the Avensis. a whole lot more severe than before, especially side impact and pole test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQLRam6IKBA

They always had the side impact and pole test right from the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Standard Older Octavia

ext_photo_big_front.jpg

Current Model

skoda_laura_india.jpg

Sport Model 2.TDi

Front end is very different

Older model
    octavia-vrs.jpg

Current Model

offer-octaviavrs-detail.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 decie

I see Phoenix Motors are listing the Skoda Octavia Ambiente 1.6Diesel CR at €16,795 http://www.phoenixmotors.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201002196564064

that looks like a good price:rolleyes:

Advertisement