Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could bring just one game to a desert island...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Super Mario World. Could spend months trying to find everything in that, and then still want to do it all over again.
    :) Me too... ...I love the game so much. Even looking at the cover of the box makes me smile. How sad am I... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Really tough question. Most (all) games on my 'top 10' list are single-player games, or more specifically, don't have online modes.

I'm loving Uncharted 2 at the moment, pretty much got a PS3 for that and some other exclusives... but the only game I'd ever play again, nope.

I'd go with Civ 4 I reckon. It's got great depth, and some online modes to keep it fresh!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ikaruga on the Dreamcast.

That is all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd also consider choosing one of the stalker games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd probably go with something along the lines of CS1.6/CSS. The bots may be **** but at least you've a shed load of maps to headshoot them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Bordlerlands, Fallout 3 or Diablo 2.
    Lots of replayability, borderlands would be better for out and out action, fallout is better if you have some wanderlust, diablos level are just different every time you turn it, so always something new to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Super Mario World. Could spend months trying to find everything in that, and then still want to do it all over again.

Ah, i think i beat all 96 levels of that game :D

Super Smash Bros Brawl or Mario Kart for me.

Probs SSBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

Garry's Mod:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Nevore wrote: »
    Wait til you get to Terror From the Deep. :D

Really? The concept of all the missions being underwater completely put me off the game. I will definitely have to try it now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Multiplayer allowed it would be street fighter 4. Single player it would be Radiant Silvergun or Puyo Puyo. ****ing love Puyo Puyo.
    Greyfox wrote: »
    For the greatest story ever, Final Fantasy 7

Go read a book! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Multiplayer allowed it would be street fighter 4. Single player it would be Radiant Silvergun or Puyo Puyo. ****ing love Puyo Puyo.

Go read a book! :P

At least try and pretend like you're not a man on a crusade!

EDIT: Screw it. Its time for an impassioned defence!

The story was not black and white. You had so many different factions, Avalanche (first time Terrorism has been in a FF game to my knowledge), your own party, the murky relationship between the Turks and Shinra. You even had the Wutai stuff as background material.

The environmental aspect was a genuinely good storyline in my opinion, pretty contemporary and you always had the rather striking contrast of the urban, godless Midgar compared to many of the more agricultural/traditional tows around the map. The point was rammed home perfectly with the Coral incident in Barret's flashback.

Capitalism - the game was an excellent example of how big business and progress win out in the end over more traditional principles, whether it be the fall of Wutai or some of the other continental towns.

They way the big reveal was done in Disc 2 was amazing in my book - thats being completely honest. The next time you play the game through it completely changes the way you look at flashback in Kalm. Just another excellent aspect of the overall story dealing with unrealised ambitions.

I think you focus too much on the Sephroith angle Retr0. I think the fact his whole life was a lie was a much more powerful motivator for what followed than you do. Being used as a tool by those who actually killed your mother for example and are actually your sworn enemy? Add that to the believable mental complications of genetic modification and I think you have a motivation no more unreasonable than that in 90% of videogames personally. The fact he said little made him far more effective in my book, maybe I was just too old by the time I saw Kefka but that weak audio soundbyte and clown costume made him more like comic relief when he was on stage (I know he is your, "for example casepoint").

Anyway, we have debated it before and I don't know if I brought up anything new but I think its worth it every few monthes to write more than the usual "ah stop your moaning Retr0!".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Metal Gear Solid 1

Kharn wrote: »
    Ikaruga on the Dreamcast.

That is all.

I hated that game. Mostly because I played on an emulator and found it impossible to control.

Can I take trilogies or just a single game? Have to be Mario all stars on the snes. literally millions of hours of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

noodler wrote: »
    Avalanche (first time Terrorism has been in a FF game to my knowledge).
    The Returners were terrorists/ freedom fighters as well weren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

Shining Force 1 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Tetris

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

At least try and pretend like you're not a man on a crusade!

EDIT: Screw it. Its time for an impassioned defence!

The story was not black and white. You had so many different factions, Avalanche (first time Terrorism has been in a FF game to my knowledge), your own party, the murky relationship between the Turks and Shinra. You even had the Wutai stuff as background material.

The environmental aspect was a genuinely good storyline in my opinion, pretty contemporary and you always had the rather striking contrast of the urban, godless Midgar compared to many of the more agricultural/traditional tows around the map. The point was rammed home perfectly with the Coral incident in Barret's flashback.

Capitalism - the game was an excellent example of how big business and progress win out in the end over more traditional principles, whether it be the fall of Wutai or some of the other continental towns.

They way the big reveal was done in Disc 2 was amazing in my book - thats being completely honest. The next time you play the game through it completely changes the way you look at flashback in Kalm. Just another excellent aspect of the overall story dealing with unrealised ambitions.

I think you focus too much on the Sephroith angle Retr0. I think the fact his whole life was a lie was a much more powerful motivator for what followed than you do. Being used as a tool by those who actually killed your mother for example and are actually your sworn enemy? Add that to the believable mental complications of genetic modification and I think you have a motivation no more unreasonable than that in 90% of videogames personally. The fact he said little made him far more effective in my book, maybe I was just too old by the time I saw Kefka but that weak audio soundbyte and clown costume made him more like comic relief when he was on stage (I know he is your, "for example casepoint").

Anyway, we have debated it before and I don't know if I brought up anything new but I think its worth it every few monthes to write more than the usual "ah stop your moaning Retr0!".

All very noble, how wonderful an example of storytelling FFVII is, how it was the first game that made you lady boys cry etc,
    but no matter what, it has still got those stupid, ridiculous random battles, when you do a little battle line-dance with your party! Feck, buggeritall!
    And then there's the little tune and swish noise that heralds each random battle, blastin' flippin wankdogs, hate that shaggin game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And my vote is Need For Speed on the 3DO,

that or Star Control 2, also on the 3DO...

Mindkiller wrote: »
    The Returners were terrorists/ freedom fighters as well weren't they?

They were freedom fighters alright. I don't think the name terrorist was ever used.

They certainly didn't strike me as modern day terrorists anyway but even still I don't think the name was mentioned.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    All very noble, how wonderful an example of storytelling FFVII is, how it was the first game that made you lady boys cry etc,
    but no matter what, it has still got those stupid, ridiculous random battles, when you do a little battle line-dance with your party! Feck, buggeritall!
    And then there's the little tune and swish noise that heralds each random battle, blastin' flippin wankdogs, hate that shaggin game!

Yeah well you are already beyond help so who cares?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Overheal wrote: »
    Question: Which game teaches me how to survive on a desert island?

The sims; Castaway....but do you really want that!!!

Me it would be CIV 4 (slightly outing Burnout paradise and Tetris)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

cs 1.6
    some bots and skins with your friends faces on them so u dont go insane

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They were freedom fighters alright. I don't think the name terrorist was ever used.

They certainly didn't strike me as modern day terrorists anyway but even still I don't think the name was mentioned.

Freedom Fighters are the terrorists who's campaign was a success :P

Freedom Fighters are the terrorists who's campaign was a success :P

Cynical viewpoint.

However, I don't recall the Returners doing anything but fighting the odd imperial solider. No bombing campaigns, no campaign on terror on the local populace etc etc.

Hence why I said modernday terrorist. I would liken the returners more to De Gaulle's exiled government than the IRA or Basque terrorists for example.

You can read into it but the execution was still typical anime nonsense.

You can read into it but the execution was still typical anime nonsense.

Huh? Avalanche?

As something which only served to get the plot going I thought it was fairly well done. It wasn't typical resistance versus a nation, but rather was stateless and more an objection to globalisation - eco-terrorism if you will. The way the group was shown on TV in FF7 or on the walls etc in the slums was pretty neat.

Its ALL typical anime nonsense if you want to go down that route Retr0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Jurassic Park: Trespasser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Col!n

GTA 4 probably.

I feel like i'm on a desert island. My house got broken into this week and they took most of my games:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

Mount and Blade, with all decent mods and then when you really have played it to death you can mod it yourself, thats a time sink if there ever was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

maybe I was just too old by the time I saw Kefka but that weak audio soundbyte and clown costume made him more like comic relief when he was on stage (I know he is your, "for example casepoint").

I couldnt disagree any more :(

I was also possibly too old when i first played FF3/6 but loved the soundbyte, but ive given up on this whole debate already. Agree to disagree and all that.

...and that retrogamer is right and your wrong :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

anyone who wants to being a final fantasy game to a desert island is screaming cabin fever after they complete it twice.

Advertisement