Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pinhole camera challenge?

• 01-01-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

Maybe i'm not suppose to suggest a challenge without winning one (i'm not sure if this is allowed :confused:) but i've this idea, how about everyone makes a pinhole camera and takes pictures? most thanked photo wins? maybe most interesting finished pinhole camera as a side thing? :D

Basically any method allowed, but heres some youtube videos to aid.

closing date 14th of January?

any takers? :)

**rules**

Must be a camera that YOU made YOURSELF
    Any method of creating it acceptable but lets keep it DIY
    When you put up a photograph please include a image of the camera you used and whether you used 35 mm or photographic paper.
    Any number of photos welcome but please put them in separate posts
    Obvious stuff like what's forbidden in the forum already: nudes ect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

im taking some pinhole stuff tonight of the snow.... can we just stick our pinhole stuff in this thread anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I'd prefer if you made the pinhole camera instead of used a setting ect, if you understand. Maybe start a thread in the main forum if its like that just so this thread won't get cluttered with anything to do without the challenge?

But of course put the shots up here if you made the camera!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

aye i am cheating... not made one... using the diana camera pinhole setting... be a few hours before im finsihed at this rate :)

aye i am cheating... not made one... using the diana camera pinhole setting... be a few hours before im finsihed at this rate :)

CHEATER!!!! :p
    :pac:
    I can't afford any fancy Diana after my last purchase so its cardboard all the way for me.

making a cardboard/paper replica of my polaroid 800 for my portfolio (part of the course)
    800.jpg

i'm thinking of making it a pinhole as i go as well. dunno if that'll be my entry for this though. :P start off small like....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I wouldn't mind trying something like this, one of the juicebox or matchbox ones looks straight forward enough

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind trying something like this, one of the juicebox or matchbox ones looks straight forward enough

yeah, they mightn't be the best photos ever but it would be interesting to see what everyone gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 feederback

I think the last winner suggests the next challenge. I’m new to this thread but will hopefully be contributing to it in the future.
    In relation to the assignment. I think this is slightly over complicated and so would be keen if BP just suggested something + Im too lazy to make the pinhole.
    No offence intended. :)

Well, what with new challenge sets like ReaPriCam Challenge maybe there's room for something like this. I don't expect or ask that it replaces the next challenge, but can't it just stand alone as something separate?
    Either way i'll be doing this in the next few days and anyone interested can join me.

No harm in it being a challenge even if theres not much interest. The reapricam thing didn't work so well, but was a bit of fun. Just interesting to try something new or different.

I made my pinhole camera yesterday following instructions here http://www.matchboxpinhole.com/
    Pretty much followed the instructions exactly. Took some photos today (at least I hope I did :P), only thing I'm unsure about is what diameter the pinhole is, too small to measure exactly, so not sure of the shutter times, also hard to keep it still while opening and closing shutter.

Construction pics
    5E8C8D0B620545E69F8F6803B0F2BBD9-240.jpg 7BC2053844944F97A312A54962D34135-240.jpg BF1BDBE710F04D3185B675A26EA62904-240.jpg AFD345DD6FD140CD82E80C4A418AE271-240.jpg 6F90C6AC00BC4D1F808EDBC78ED82022-240.jpg
    Front & Back
    15E2DCB4537341EBB6A498F22B290B22-240.jpg E8DEE3B0B3354D35A3A205430A97C97C-240.jpg

• Advertisement

great, cant wait to see how your photos turn out! i'll have mine up as soon as i get some damn black tape

great, cant wait to see how your photos turn out! i'll have mine up as soon as i get some damn black tape

Fingers crossed it will work, might try take the same shot with a few different exposure times, see which comes out best and then work backwards to estimate the pinhole size so I'll know where its at for the second roll

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

Mrpinhole.com as some helpful online calculators and guides for designing pinhole cameras. I may just have a rummage under the bed for my old pinhole SLR and start taking some shots with it again...

19961_241519571430_675371430_3881787_5969637_n.jpg

Heres mine. Going to go around town tomorrow to take some photos, can't wait.

Nice one, should be easier to keep steady than the matchbox type, I'm developing the film from mine right now, so should know in about an hour if it worked, if it did i'll scan and upload a shot or two later on

I'm worried i didn't black out the inside of mine enough...

It does sit well by itself though.

I was wondering how important blacking out was, I guess it could reduce your contrast. Hopefully won't be too bad.

Good news is I definitely have pictures, the negatives look a bit black, so maybe I overexposed most, but can make out the images which is cool, just drying the negatives

Realize now I should have made the frame 36mm instead of 24mm because scanning will be a bit more awkward but will see how it goes

Edit: Heres the clearest shot so far, kitchen table
    4EA369C2A2FC4F0EB188B7FFA969AE39-500.jpg
    all the photos have the stringy thing on the right side

My photos didn't really come up. Well, one was printable (just lots of colours). The guy in the shop knows pinholes and said the juicebox shiny surface was a bad idea, so next time I'm going to use a shoebox or make one out of cardboard. I'll scan the image when I get a chance to show what i mean.

Sorry to hear that :(, the juice box youtube video didn't seem to say it was necessary to paint the inside, also the pinhole size isn't mentioned which I thought would be important... will you use 35mm again?

I'm going to have another go at it, maybe make a smother smaller pinhole, will add a bit of black tape behind the film in case that matters.

For anyone doing 35mm would recommend the clicker on the matchbox instructions for measuring how far the film travels. Also read a tip that if you scan the pinhole it might be easier to judge how smooth and round it is

edit: heres the scanned pinholes, on the left is what i was using, right one sanded the metal and will use it for next roll, i still think its a bit big (.25mm) but hard to get it smaller
    0D71291B06964F28BD626D2E972E5C1B.jpg

Heres another sort of "decent" shot I got,
    28E8DBB914E9473B9AE84F0E99722C01-500.jpg

• Advertisement

Well i did what the video said, turn it five times but i get the feeling i could have got more shots if you know what i mean

Well i did what the video said, turn it five times but i get the feeling i could have got more shots if you know what i mean

yeah with the clicker theres only a small gap between frames, got 37 24mm frames on the roll

Got more even photo over the frame second time around with the better pinhole but still overexposed and a few light leaks on some shots
    92FD694188754E888CFC76C82888EFAE-500.jpg

and a snow shot
    30296568D86D4FF3A350ADE6387B2BAF-500.jpg

got some photos tonight, will scan later. they werent great and in taking the film out some got destroyed. I've made a paper mache egg that i'm turning into a pinhole over the next few days, hopefully that'll work out better.

sounds interesting, I'm trying one more roll of film through the matchbox, made the frame wider and put more tape on so hopefully wider photos and less leaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'd love to try something like this. Might give it a go over the next few days and see what I do.

sounds interesting, I'm trying one more roll of film through the matchbox, made the frame wider and put more tape on so hopefully wider photos and less leaks

i think your shots have come up great, can i ask how long you exposed each shot?

i'm skeptical that my egg pinhole wont work, very big focal length and i didn't line it up perfectly.

i think your shots have come up great, can i ask how long you exposed each shot?

i'm skeptical that my egg pinhole wont work, very big focal length and i didn't line it up perfectly.

The snowy shot was 3 or 5 seconds, the flower maybe 30-60 seconds but painted it with a torch. The kitchen table maybe 15-30seconds. Hard to remember exactly.

I'm using iso200 film, for me I'd say bright outdoors half a second would be fine, cloudy 3 seconds. Indoor with electric lighting maybe 30-60 seconds.

But its all going to depend on the focal length and pinhole size, I'd say as long as you're anywhere in the region of the right exposure time you'll get a photo the scanner can do something with. But the quality will be worse the further you're off, this was a test I did on the first roll, same scene different exposure times, 0.5 sec looked best but 10sec looked ok
    9DB67315BDAA401097EEC32084894C40.jpg
    I'd love to try something like this. Might give it a go over the next few days and see what I do.
    Some good pinhole photo groups to browse on Flickr to get ideas

• Advertisement

this was a one hour exposure
    E84AE934479C4E8A8F85DA0AC02620A8-500.jpg

Outdoor shots got overexposed on me again, so even 3-5 second seems too long even on cloudy day. I'm much happier with the wider frame and even overexposed, the shots were ok. Seems to be good for light painting too

and one more, must have been 2 or 3 second exposure
    9ACC7ED9DB2C49D992FEF1201A71838E-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Only saw this thread today but definitely going to give it a go. Will pop out today to see if I can pick up what I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Strum

Great stuff altogether this topic. Well done Ghost Train. I won't be making one but seriously a great topic and wow, a one hour exposure.
    Never heard anything like that before.
    Are you studying photography GT?

Strum wrote: »
    Great stuff altogether this topic. Well done Ghost Train. I won't be making one but seriously a great topic and wow, a one hour exposure.
    Never heard anything like that before.
    Are you studying photography GT?

Nope, just trying film photography for the last few months and always wanted to try make a pinhole camera. Kind of addictive trying to get good result, might try it again in a few months. I'm developing the film myself so that makes it a bit easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

ok so I'm going to stick this link in here. So you can all get practicing or posting for the day.

www.pinholeday.org 25 April 2010

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Advertisement