Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I get an Insulin Pen

Options
  • 01-01-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, stupidly left my insulin in a bag in my friends house before going out in town last night and of course given the weather we managed to get seperated. I'm currently at home and the friends house is in Artane, so I probably won't be able to get out there untill the roads improve.

Would any of the chemists in town be open tomorrow where I could get myself a new pen and how much would one cost.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I'm fairly sure that the vast majority of pharmacies will be open tomorrow, given that it's not a public holiday or anything. However, I've heard of a couple that are opening for a shorter than usual number of hours such as 10 til 4 or 5.

It's by no means guaranteed that any given pharmacy will have an insulin pen on the shelf, but some will; I'd be very surprised if you had to go to more than 3-4 to find one. Bring your LTI book or at least your LTI number with you; although the pens are actually free, the pharmacy may claim a dispensing fee from the HSE for looking after you.

What town are you referring to? Where's Baile na Ridire?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Was refering to Dublin town.

Baile na Ridire is the Irish translation of Balrothery, its just outside Balbriggan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd expect most of them to have some form of insulin on the shelf, just might not be the same brand as you usually get. Pursuadeing them to give it to you without a prescription is the trickier bit though, but have had to do that myself a few times due to various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's always been fine in my experience. I've never had to go to more than 2 chemists in the search for insulin. I use novorapid and Lantus. Just have your LTI number or preferably the booklet if you haven't been to that chemist before. Remember, the insulin won't last as long if it's brought around in a bag so you'll have to use it up in 6/4 weeks (depends on insulin maker) if it reaches over room temperature. Believe me, it can be quite problematic if you end up using a pen that's been lying around on a desk for 3 months!

I've never been charged, but the budget introduced some changes to the LTI. You may have to pay 50 cent for the box of insulin.#

Big question: Do you use the prefilled pens or do you put cardridges into a pen and reuse the pen itself? I don't know if chemists would have the actual pens themselves, but the prefilled disposable pens do work very similarly. I've been on both so far, about half my diabetic time on one and half on the other. I'm using prefilled currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Managed to get in today to pick up the pen.

Think I may well switch to the disposables now after this, seems a bit handier thb.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

• Advertisement

I may be wrong, but my understanding was that the OP was looking for the pen that takes the insulin cartridges, not the prefilled disposable pen that contains insulin.
    If I'm right, then your comments about getting insulin without a prescription, the shelf life of insulin and so on are irrelevant.

{Edit added @ 1819: ps. I've read the original post again, and now I think I was wrong! Oh, well! Sorry, Guys!}

A 50c tax on Medical Card and LTI prescriptions was announced in the budget, but will not be introduced until 1/4/10 at the earliest. The reason? It's currently illegal! They have to change the law to allow the Govt to charge you for your prescriptions, and that will tkae a little time.
    robinph wrote: »
    I'd expect most of them to have some form of insulin on the shelf, just might not be the same brand as you usually get. Pursuadeing them to give it to you without a prescription is the trickier bit though, but have had to do that myself a few times due to various reasons.
    It's always been fine in my experience. I've never had to go to more than 2 chemists in the search for insulin. I use novorapid and Lantus. Just have your LTI number or preferably the booklet if you haven't been to that chemist before. Remember, the insulin won't last as long if it's brought around in a bag so you'll have to use it up in 6/4 weeks (depends on insulin maker) if it reaches over room temperature. Believe me, it can be quite problematic if you end up using a pen that's been lying around on a desk for 3 months!

I've never been charged, but the budget introduced some changes to the LTI. You may have to pay 50 cent for the box of insulin.#

Big question: Do you use the prefilled pens or do you put cardridges into a pen and reuse the pen itself? I don't know if chemists would have the actual pens themselves, but the prefilled disposable pens do work very similarly. I've been on both so far, about half my diabetic time on one and half on the other. I'm using prefilled currently.

Ok, fine they would be irrelevant, but I put that info there on the assumption he used prefilled ones. I then asked the question as I wasn't sure if it was just an ordinary refillable pen he needed. I don't know if the chemists stock the pens themselves as I always got spares in my outpatients clinic at an appointment.

Ok, fine they would be irrelevant, but I put that info there on the assumption he used prefilled ones. I then asked the question as I wasn't sure if it was just an ordinary refillable pen he needed. I don't know if the chemists stock the pens themselves as I always got spares in my outpatients clinic at an appointment.

As I admitted above, I was wrong. Your post wasn't irrelevant.

Oh, alright then:P

I hadn't noticed that part, sorry for being so blind!

Advertisement