Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 645ci - feedback

• 01-01-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi,

anyone here driven, owned, borrowed a 645ci?

What do you think of them. Like them to own? Any notable problems?

You know the usual stuff.

A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

AlanD wrote: »
    Hi,

anyone here driven, owned, borrowed a 645ci?

What do you think of them. Like them to own? Any notable problems?

You know the usual stuff.

A

I run a 1990 735 and it's such a beautiful, bulletproof, powerful, comfortable, solid motor with a sweet straight six M30 block if that helps. There are numerous BMW owners forums about, as in ROADFLY, Irish BMW owners forum and several UK based online sites also that information is readily available. Might be no harm to post there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭caze

Hi Alan,

have a look at this....
    http://www.bmw-driver.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=12113
    and
    http://www.bmw-driver.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=10171

Lads over on BMW driver.net will sort you out with any specific questions you might have.
    Also try http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/ and http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/default.asp

No experience of the 6 myself but running an e60 for the past two years without issue and loving it.
    Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

Cheers, been browsing through those forums alright.

So just spreading the net wider.

LOVE the car, so just looking to learn a bit more about life with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ContyHooks

I don't know much about them but all the management team where I used to work had them (06's) and they are stunning cars to look at anyway! Fairly hefty price tag though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Beware of this problem though:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321434

Link is re 7 series, but the problem affects all 02- BMW V8s. Doesn't seem to be showing up in 04- cars yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Link is re 7 series, but the problem affects all 02- BMW V8s. Doesn't seem to be showing up in 04- cars yet.

I havnt seen this issue pop up on the M5 forums.

macnab wrote: »
    I havnt seen this issue pop up on the M5 forums.

Forgot about the E39 M5s - and E90 M3s. Not sure if they are affected. Off the top of my head, I think it's the N62 series engines, as used in 02- 745i, 735i, 740i, 750i, 645i, 650i, 545i, 540i, 550i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Forgot about the E39 M5s - and E90 M3s. Not sure if they are affected. Off the top of my head, I think it's the N62 series engines, as used in 02- 745i, 735i, 740i, 750i, 645i, 650i, 545i, 540i, 550i.

Sound, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nationalgeo

ContyHooks wrote: »
    I don't know much about them but all the management team where I used to work had them (06's) and they are stunning cars to look at anyway! Fairly hefty price tag though!

Was that up in citywest?

I was driving home the other day and an 08 650 went past me, less than 2 mins later a 06 650 convertible went past.

They are a fab looking car. Think I would rather have a ariel atom instead now.

Interesting.....easy to check for I wonder.

Any idea if you can go in to a BMW dealer a buy a warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

You can extend the BMW warranty if it's been covered consistantly by them from new.

If you are just buying a car out of warranty there are independent companies which do warranties.

Just about to buy the BMW extended one for mine at end of Jan - it's 1k for full warranty, goes down to 600 for minimal cover and mine is 4.0 V8 so I'd say the 645 would be similar.

MarkN wrote: »
    You can extend the BMW warranty if it's been covered consistantly by them from new.

If you are just buying a car out of warranty there are independent companies which do warranties.

Just about to buy the BMW extended one for mine at end of Jan - it's 1k for full warranty, goes down to 600 for minimal cover and mine is 4.0 V8 so I'd say the 645 would be similar.

Worth buying I reckon. Saved us a fortune on our last cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Worth buying I reckon. Saved us a fortune on our last cars.

Absolutely. If you have a nearly new performance BMW that you drive hard, you'd be a fool not to keep it under full BMW warranty. A grand a year is a bargain imho.

Interesting.....easy to check for I wonder.

Any idea if you can go in to a BMW dealer a buy a warranty?

Not easy to check for at all unless the mechanic knows what he's looking for. Happened across it when I was looking to buy a 02 745i recently from a BMW dealer. I *believe* the car suffered from this problem. I also *believe* the dealer knew damn well about it which is why they were flogging it without a warranty! Close escape there.....

As Mark said, warranty can be extended (to 100k miles?) if cover is continuous. Not aware of any indie warranty companies in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Thanks. Noting it's the N62 makes it easier to pinpoint, as the old V8's are M62, M5 E39 is S62 and the M3 is S65, so different engines.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Certain reviewers, with the notable exception of Pistonheads, said the manual 630i was the one to have, as its lighter and revs faster. The 630i engine is not an m54 engine as used in the 5 series (which I have and dont like), its an all new 6pot and is (was?) the worlds lightest 6 cylinder engine (161kg).

(Different PH review, they recommended the 645i over it as a 2nd hand buy in another article):
    http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/bmw/BMW630i.htm

I dunno, its a trade of V8 power for I6 economy in my eyes. Also sometimes (usually) the 630i is offered for more than the 645i 2nd hand.

Do BMW require you to service in their deslerships to maintain warranty? I would service myself for the basics or with an indie for complicated stuff.

The way I see it too. The 645 will be cheaper to buy so savings on fuel for a mire expensive 630 won't work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Do BMW require you to service in their deslerships to maintain warranty? I would service myself for the basics or with an indie for complicated stuff.

I would imagine so, I can't see them putting their name to a new warranty when they've no idea of the history of the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

Had a 645i for the weekend when mc keon's in kells were trying to get me to buy it. Super car, nice seats good handling and plenty of poke. This is coming from a M3 and M5 driver for the last 7 years. Just did not warm to the rear end.

I would imagine so, I can't see them putting their name to a new warranty when they've no idea of the history of the car.

Id look for a full history myself and mind it like a baby afterwards.

I'll do a bit of warranty research.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Under Block Exemption, no they don't. It might help your case better though if something major goes wrong and you have a fully stamped BMW dealer history, that's all.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Under Block Exemption, no they don't. It might help your case better though if something major goes wrong and you have a fully stamped BMW dealer history, that's all.

That's what i thought alright. But no way would I pay BMW rates for servicing. I have a super local mechanic I use for everything.

I'll look in to it anyway to see. I grew up in the motor industry so I know the game and can look after cars well so wouldn't be doing a nice 6 a disservice.

Advertisement