Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype status icon missing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

His Skype ID was not a valid Skype Id and hence the magic Skype image link didn't return an image.

I've removed what he had in the Skype ID field on his profile and I'll have a look at the Skype ID validation code now.

DonnieBrasco was one of 21 users who had invalid Skype IDs. Since they don't comply with the validator, I can only assume that they entered those IDs back before there was any validation done on those fields.

All the people with Skype IDs which would fail the current validation have now had them reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Looks like it's fixed, can a skype ID go invalid after being validated? i.e. user close the account? Is that handled, or too much of an edge case to worry about?

If skype change the icon location/size/shape, will that not break the site also?

My biggest worry was that when the icon wasn't available, the size was being set so large (255*30) instead of being set to 16*16.

astrofool wrote: »
    Looks like it's fixed, can a skype ID go invalid after being validated? i.e. user close the account? Is that handled, or too much of an edge case to worry about?

The problem wasn't that the Skype ID was valid but pointed to an account that didn't exist. The problem was that the Skype ID wasn't valid at all and rather than fail gracefully with the "not logged in" image, Skype saw fit to return a 404.
    If skype change the icon location/size/shape, will that not break the site also?

Yes, but unfortunately I can't control that without losing the online/offline indication.
    My biggest worry was that when the icon wasn't available, the size was being set so large (255*30) instead of being set to 16*16.

Yeah, I don't know what that's about. I can't see any indication of it within vBulletin.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement