Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting violin aged 4?

• 01-01-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

My daughter has expressed an interest in learning to play the violin. I'm a bassoon player myself, so don't have any knowledge where string instruments are concerned. Is 4 (well, 4.5, to be accurate) too young (or indeed too old?!) to start learning the violin?
    I've heard about the Suzuki method being good for young children to learn the violin, but intensive googling for the last half hour hasn't turned up any such lessons/music schools in Dublin.
    Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

hey there,

I started Suzuki violin at 3 and half and wasn't the youngest by a long shot. It's great! Go for it. She'd be over the hill at 6 :D

Magsi Gore (think that's the spelling!) ran a school in Enniskerry back in the day. Bernadette Robinson is another teacher. There is a website and i was on it recently but typically enough, can't find it now. If I do I'll post here.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭odonopenmic

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

I'd say go for it - 4 is definitely not too young - my niece started around that age and while she doesn't play violin anymore, she is onto guitar and now drums at age 11! Taking after her aul uncle..so proud!

I'm told it's a great introductory instrument for young children.

Advertisement