Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to identify old people's attaker (Shantalla Road)

Options
  • 01-01-2010 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Woman (80) attacked in Galway

An 80-year-old woman was assaulted during an aggravated burglary at her home in Galway city in the early hours of this morning.

The victim was attacked at her house on Shantalla Road at about 12.30am by a man in his early 20s. She managed to raise the alarm after being attacked and the culprit fled on foot.

He is described as being, about six feet tall and clean shaven. He had short dark hair.

Gardaí, who are appealing to anyone two was in the vicinity of Shantalla Road between 11pm and 2am to contact them, did not release details of the extent of the woman's injuries
    Guards are asking for help so decided to post it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I think that description might cover about 50% of all the 20 year olds in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Yes, but maybe someone have seen some strange behaving/running away guy at the time there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tiir

Good work WooPeeA on doing something in trying to stop any more violent crime in our community.

And Axer... there is no need for unhelpful comments

If anyone knows anything they should report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

We saw a lot of Garda activiy around Shantalla earlier and were wondering what had happened; it looked as if the Gardai were going door to door.

Really hope they catch him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

That is terrible. So many friendly old people live in the Shantalla area .It's very sad to think of them afraid in their own homes. I hope they catch him quickly for everyone's sake.

Good idea to have put it on boards to make more people aware of it WooPeeA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 caz1301

They were doing door to door inquiries as they called to my granny's house .....just asking if anyone suspicious hanging around etc
    There is a lot of older people in shantalla so its scary
    Poor Woman x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

That's terrible to hear. It's a long shot most likely but I hope they catch whoever did it. Scumbag whoever he was :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Did the woman live near the guy with the classic cars in Shantalla? Was driving by there around 2am new years eve (day) and there was an ambulance, paddy wagon and 6 - 8 gardai hanging around. I thought it may of been something to do with the cold spell but reading the OP how wrong was I. Terrible news and i hope that catch the b*stard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

axer wrote: »
    I think that description might cover about 50% of all the 20 year olds in the country.

Holy crap I'm a potential suspect :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

Holy crap I'm a potential suspect :O
    but he was wearing no coat cos it was -6 that night. hope it might lodge in some ones head cos they saw some body out in that cold wearing only t-shirt and what ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

blond45 wrote: »
    but he was wearing no coat cos it was -6 that night. hope it might lodge in some ones head cos they saw some body out in that cold wearing only t-shirt and what ever.

Eh, what's this about no coat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

JustMary wrote: »

Probably from Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

the guarda on the news today said the thug had no coat on .he was not dressed for the -6 chilley night. some one must have seen him.

the guarda on the news today said the thug had no coat on .he was not dressed for the -6 chilley night. some one must have seen him.

That's weird. I wonder if he was living in the area then as few would've ventured too far without a jacket that night.Of course maybe he had a distinctive jacket and took it off outside and stashed it while he did the break-in.

Hopefully the description of someone without a jacket might jog someones mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭brownetara

Just wanted to say thanks to Woodpea for putting this up, it was my aunt who was attacked and its good to know there are some decent people out there who are trying to help. Thanks again and I will pass on all the good wishes.

Quote:

An 80-year-old woman was assaulted during an aggravated burglary at her home in Galway city in the early hours of this morning.

The victim was attacked at her house on Shantalla Road at about 12.30am by a man in his early 20s. She managed to raise the alarm after being attacked and the culprit fled on foot.

He is described as being, about six feet tall and clean shaven. He had short dark hair.

Gardaí, who are appealing to anyone two was in the vicinity of Shantalla Road between 11pm and 2am to contact them, did not release details of the extent of the woman's injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The taxi driver we had on last night was telling us that the Guards had had a circular distributed around all the co-op taxis via the in car computer things that they have. Apparently it gave a very detailed description of the attacker etc. Really hope they catch this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

brownetara wrote: »
    Just wanted to say thanks to Woodpea for putting this up, it was my aunt who was attacked and its good to know there are some decent people out there who are trying to help. Thanks again and I will pass on all the good wishes.

Quote:

I hope your granny is doing well, she has a lot of well wishers here on boards! It makes me sick to my stomach when i hear about incidents like this, hopefully they will catch the bas*ard soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Really hope they catch him!

My grandparents live not too far from there and their house has been broken into 3 times in the last few years. Luckily they weren't at home for any of the burglaries. It's aweful to think elderly people are being targetted like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

GARDAI SAY PUBLIC KEY TO NEW YEAR ATTACK ON ELDERLY SHANTALLA WOMAN
    January 6, 2010 - 1:26pm
    Gardai believe there is information out there which may help their investigation into a prolonged attack on an elderly woman in Shantalla in the early hours of New Year's Day.
    The man broke into the 80 year old's home on Shantalla Road around 12.30 in the morning New Year's Day.
    The woman suffered a prolonged attack by the man for at least an hour and was seriously assaulted in the incident.
    Her attacker is described as 6 foot tall, short dark slightly curly hair and in his early twenties.

Anyone with any information can contact Gardai on 091 576 250.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/10527-gardai-say-public-key-new-year-attack-elderly-shantalla-woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Magnus wrote: »
    GARDAI SAY PUBLIC KEY TO NEW YEAR ATTACK ON ELDERLY SHANTALLA WOMAN
    January 6, 2010 - 1:26pm
    Gardai believe there is information out there which may help their investigation into a prolonged attack on an elderly woman in Shantalla in the early hours of New Year's Day.
    The man broke into the 80 year old's home on Shantalla Road around 12.30 in the morning New Year's Day.
    The woman suffered a prolonged attack by the man for at least an hour and was seriously assaulted in the incident.
    Her attacker is described as 6 foot tall, short dark slightly curly hair and in his early twenties.

Anyone with any information can contact Gardai on 091 576 250.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/10527-gardai-say-public-key-new-year-attack-elderly-shantalla-woman

At least an hour!!?..WTF!? S.O.B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hope they catch him. Am personally going to try to make this year a bit more neighbourly, without being nosey.
    We have to watch out for each other, and particularly check in on the elderly. United we stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wompa1 wrote: »
    At least an hour!!?..WTF!? S.O.B

Indeed. And it's an 80 year old woman who was seriously injured, but yet they've got a fairly detailed description of his age and clothing ... there's more going on here than they're telling.

But yup, hope they catch him ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Seen the Gardai doing door to door enquiries in the area on Monday.

Indeed. And it's an 80 year old woman who was seriously injured, but yet they've got a fairly detailed description of his age and clothing ... there's more going on here than they're telling.

But yup, hope they catch him ASAP.

I wish they would give a more detailed description. If the attacker walked from town or back to town on that night it's likely he'd have passed by the Dominic Street area. It must have been teeming with people that night.Someone must've seen something.

Advertisement