Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac's quitlog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

That's brill... have a great holiday! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

That's brilliant dollie. Great achievement!

Enjoy your well-earned holiday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kazbarr

Well done Dolliemix you should be so proud of yourself reaching 6 months. I'm sure you will be fine on your holiday and not let it bother you even though your friends are smokers. Just hope you have a brill holiday, you so well deserve it !!

I've just returned from 2 weeks at our house in France and managed to get through the 2 weeks ok apart from one night the urge was very strong as me and hubby were sat talking and having a drink and generally enjoying ourselves. He smokes cigars and continues to smoke around me anyway I knew there was a little tobacco left from our last trip there so I got him to roll me one and I had that...kind of a strange sensation really as I didn't like the taste in my mouth as I was used to smoked menthol cigs but it still had that relaxing feeling you get when having a drink. But after I felt so guilty for giving in, but decided not to beat myself up too much and just continued being a non smoker. I had just reached the 3 month mark whilst on holiday so was quite proud of myself but my determination comes from I'm not going to buy any cigs ever !!
    All in all I think I did quite well bearing in mind I've had a lot of stress around me with losing my job and I'm still not working.

Macro you are also doing brilliantly, your fitness is amazing, you have achieved so much in such a short space of time, well done.

dcmiami how are things going with yourself ? have you managed to set yourself a day yet ? I hope so for you and you only.

We all go through missing our friends constantly but it's a case of being strong and finding something else in your life to override the need of the habit.

Good luck to all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hey all!!!
    Well I'm trying again to kick the habit again and so far so good!
    I am using patches 15mg which seem to be helping 'me' a lot and loads of extra chewing gums!
    I decided enough is enough last sat and went to my pharm and spoke to the fella there, he advised to set myself a really BIG goal with the money i save and this will help, all i could think of was i wanna move outta the place i am living in now and find somewhere nicer to live, so I'll save a deposit by the end of the month, have to say that worked!
    Then my friend that lived with me before rang me up on monday the day i gave up and said she wants to move in with me next month so that has given me more reasaon to stay away from smoking which is great!
    So what works for me as i have figured out is using patches, reading Allen Carrs book and have a really BIG goal in sight!

I feel good i have to say, withdrawl was/is no hassle this time around, only in the evening time i feel i want one but it passes after 10 mins, i just remind myself i wanna get out of where i am living and how much money i can save and how my chest is going to feel brilliant in a weeks time and my skin will look great in a month or two too lol.

Well done to everyone here who is still off them and best of luck to everyone trying to stop the habit, if i can do it so can you!!!!!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Well I have not posted here in a while. I unfortunately failed with my attempt a few months ago. Lots of stuff going on that got too much and I broke. But 2 months ago yesterday I tried again and I have not smoked since.

• Advertisement

Hey Tomtom that's really great news to hear, 2 months is fantastic and you must be so proud of yourself.

I've nearing 4 months now which is the longest I've ever done so feeling very positive but I just wish the thought of them would go away for ever lol.....It's not the desire for one it's the thinking of them which drives me nuts. But I keep telling myself after 34 years of smoking the habit is not going to just leave me like that, so I will have to stick with it. ;)

Keep us posted hey

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

"Hi Optimus! You quit 7 months, 9 hours, 15 minutes & 16 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 3,185 cigs, saved EUR 1,195 and added 1.57 weeks to your life."

Was at a wedding recently. I was holding a cigarette for someone who was getting their photo taken. I caught myself staring lustily at it... then I quickly looked away.

I haven't thought that about a cigarette in about 4 months. I didn't want to smoke and I didn't smoke. But I did think it was crazy that the addiction resurfaced for a second.

Another thing that reminds me I still need to be careful is when I am with friends who are chain smoking, I become seriously irritated and snappy. It's embarrassing... so I take myself out of those situations until I am ready. The smell puts me in bad form.

I haven't smoked in 7 months. I love my new lungs. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done everyone!

Good to see you back on board and doing so well Tom Tom. Its unusual that anybody succeeds in quitting on their first try. Its the length between each tries that is the big thing and you're back on board very soon! (It took me five years!)

Ready Steady hope you're almost at the 3 week mark now! It gets easier after this

Kazbarr I also had a cigarette 3 months into my journey but I just kept going and I haven't had one since! I think it actually helped because I was so upset with myself and the curiosity was killed. I know that I cannot even have a drag or I'm risking everything!

Like Optimus and Macros I'm seven months today! But it feels like years since I smoked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pambelina

Well thank you all for creating such a wonderfully honest place to discuss "the art of giving up smoking", I have spent the last few hours reading this site and it has helped, i unfortunately had a smoke today having been off them three months, its seems I'm not a a freak, or the only person in the world who is finding this sometimes impossible, I felt very alone but now realise that what I am going through is quite normal. I cant say that the one i had is a reminder of why i gave up, but i am three weeks away from 30, and really don't want too spend my 30's being a smoker as i have my 20's. Tomorrow I am going to join the gym, something I have threatened to do for the last ten years also, I will post up and let you know if i have done so. I have read all stories throughout this thread tonight and am inspired by its creator Mac, the difference in your tone of posts as you have progressed through this journey is amazing, you have moved from talking about smoking too running, and constantly been honest about your successes and struggles throughout this process, and have normalised it for me! For the first time in weeks, I feel like a weight has been lifted, tmw i focus on a new healthy me and not worrying about whether I should or will smoke! Finally I think I can go to bed, have to be up for work soon, now feeling better....thank you all

Good luck in the gym Pambelina. You'll feel like a new person in a month!

Well done on getting to three months. Most of us slipped up at some stage so put it behind you and continue as a non-smoker!

• Advertisement

Thanks dollie, I went to the gym today and inquired, have a free trial tmw and have decided i will sign up, having a glass of wine now having cooked my favourite dinner, all is well and smoke free this evening. Although today was a struggle, i have survived...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

just passed the 6 month marker at end of July

Very happy....... :)

Hope everyone is doing ok, and if you havent managed to stick with it, that you are close to trying again.

I am 2/3 way through training for a half marathon now (for my sins!) and looking back on my old posts here really puts into perspective how far Ive come and how much my life has changed.

Smoking is no longer part of my life, and with every milestone I pass, I feel happier that I can keep away from ciggarettes.

Keep it up guys, its easier on the other side and you will enjoy the healthier, fitter you!! :)

Macros, you still running round mountains like a mad man? :P

Congrats Yungwan. I've been following your progress on the Half. You're doing great! Just started my plan yesterday!

Hi everyone

It's good to read posts from people who posted very earlier on this thread who decided to quit, and then come back and report they are still none smokers and how their lives have changed. I think it's a real inspiration to those still wanting to take that step as they can share in all the ups and downs us ex smokers have gone through.

I'm at the 4 month mark now so feeling very proud of myself, I don't miss the physical side of smoking as I'm determined that I'm never going to smoke again but the thought of cigarettes never leave me and I'm wondering how long it takes before you do stop thinking about them.
    Does anyone else have the same thoughts and can give any advice.

It's great to hear all your news Dolliemix and for all your support to everyone.

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Yeah Kazbarr wondering the same thing myself - off them 31 days and counting.
    Any suggestions anyone

It used to wreck my head that I was spending so much time thinking about them....and I wondered would I ever get rid of that feeling. But it has stopped now. I can't pin point a time when it stopped though. Its kind of like heartache in a way. You think you'll never feel normal again and then one day you realise 'hey I didn't wake up sad thinking about x this morning and I've only realised now'. Then a few weeks on you realised you haven't thought about x for a few weeks etc :D Out of sight out of mind...maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Thanks Dolliemix - 'cause you know the way our minds work sometimes my brain says "hey you, this isn't worth it, just smoke!"
    I won't smoke but sometimes it is difficult

Hi Dolliemix thanks for your comments, I will just have to trust you and hope that it does happen soon.....I know that everyone is different and some struggle and some don't but it does mostly seems to be males who struggle the least oddly..darn and drat lol ;)

A few of my friends have said that it did take them a good year to get over them which is very scary in deed..can't imagine having to wait that long :eek::eek::eek:

It's great to hear that everything seems to be going well for yourself as you are another inspiration to us all on here :D

Me and Nathan will keep at it :D

...having said that I came across this post written by me after a night out in May. Five months into giving up.....

"I would have loved a cigarette tonight because I was so relaxed but I didn't have one. My hair stinks of smoke now though because I spent most of the night in smoking areas with my friend who claims she's just a social smoker. (Like I used to!) I met a man who used to smoke 40 a day who told me it was harder for him. Its not. Its f**kin hard no matter what. My cravings creep up when I least expect it. I hate being a smoker. I truly hope I never smoke again. I hope it gets easier too. Good for me tonight not having one!"

So there you go! There are moments of hell, but you quickly forget them. I wouldn't forget so quickly if I gave in and had one though!

Its great to hear how you're doing so keep posting so we can tell you how brilliant you are!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Kazbarr wrote: »
    Hi Dolliemix thanks for your comments, I will just have to trust you and hope that it does happen soon.....I know that everyone is different and some struggle and some don't but it does mostly seems to be males who struggle the least oddly..darn and drat lol ;)

A few of my friends have said that it did take them a good year to get over them which is very scary in deed..can't imagine having to wait that long :eek::eek::eek:

It's great to hear that everything seems to be going well for yourself as you are another inspiration to us all on here :D

Me and Nathan will keep at it :D

Sorry for jumping in without having read all previous posts, but I was just wondering do you have children and if so what age are they?

• Advertisement

Sorry for jumping in without having read all previous posts, but I was just wondering do you have children and if so what age are they?

No I don't have any children

No I don't have any children

Sorry for the pesonal question, its just that I quit 8 years ago after smoking for 20 years, and up to 40-60 per day. I found my greatest motivation during the difficult craving stages were my children and my desire to be a part of their lives for as long as I could. I suppose my self obsession with smoking was cured by my ability to put others first and to keep this thought to the fore of my mind during my battle with the associated demons.

Definately the cravings do ease with time, which I suppose is different for each individual as to its frequency in length. I can now smell things I had forgotten existed and my taste is improving yet, as the years elapse.

People argue probably to satisfy there own addiction, that an alternative may kill you at a young age but in relation to smoking, without sounding morbid I am happy to die from an alternative now that my chest is clear at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The thoughts don't really go away. For me now they're more of a memory of an old friend but I still think about them at the oddest times. A friend who's off them years tells me that he still thinks of them occasionally too. You just have to accept that they're a part of you and keep focussed on not letting those thoughts control you. I can't see myself smoking again but I still miss it occasionally.

7 months down. Gael Force in two weeks. Been through some stressful times recently and still not smoking. It's all good :)

LongTerm Louth

I was intrigued as to why you asked the question lol but having explained I can fully understand that your children were your motivation to quit......now what intrigues me even more is how come this quit thread caught your attention seeing as you have been quit for 8 years ?? normally people only come on this thread when either they are thinking of quitting or have just quit or have quit for some time and keep popping in to see how everybody else is doing.

It's good to hear from people like yourself though as you have been through what everyone one of us have or is going through and it gives up more determination to have a life without them white sticks. :D

NavanEPS wrote: »
    Yeah Kazbarr wondering the same thing myself - off them 31 days and counting.
    Any suggestions anyone

Hi Navan,

You may have seen from a previous post of mine, I slipped up last week having been off them for three months, however since then I have read this complete thread which has made me realise that struggles are quite normal and do pass. I also had chats with people I know who have been off them in excess of ten years and tried to discover how they have succeeded. A piece of advice that was given too me made so much sense. Smoking takes up a huge amount of time in your day/life and giving them up creates a void, giving you back this extra time which you are just not used to having, so its important to fill the gap, therefore find a new hobby, be it, getting fit, or stamp collecting, whatever you have wanted to do but never got around to doing. You now have more time and more money to do it, so there are no excuses. I joined the gym, and within a few days, I feel so much better about myself and life, I spend time planning what I am going to eat, where I'm going to walk, what nights i'll go to the gym, and having been a couple of times, I feel so much better about things, honestly this time last week I thought I'd go back on them but tonight when I got a slight desire for a cig, I got my gym bag ready for tmw. I hope this makes sense, and I think you if read all the success stories here, you will discover that those who stay off the smokes have "filled the gap"
    I remember 3 weeks into giving up, I was all excited because I could spend an extra 15/20 mins in bed in the morning because I wasn't wasting time having 3 smokes... ya gotta love the little things in life!
    Hope this helps and would like to know if others agree

I have extra space in my handbag too!!!

That was well written Pambelina. I agree with you 100%

Well done on continuing and remaining so positive! Enjoy the gym tomorrow

Let us know how Gael Force goes Mac. I cant believe its so close already!

LongTerm Louth

I was intrigued as to why you asked the question lol but having explained I can fully understand that your children were your motivation to quit......now what intrigues me even more is how come this quit thread caught your attention seeing as you have been quit for 8 years ?? normally people only come on this thread when either they are thinking of quitting or have just quit or have quit for some time and keep popping in to see how everybody else is doing.

It's good to hear from people like yourself though as you have been through what everyone one of us have or is going through and it gives up more determination to have a life without them white sticks. :D

I suppose its because I can remember how difficult it is to quit, but through time the cravings do go completely and you certainly live a more fulfilled life financially and in particular healthier.

Thank you Dollie, Much appreciated

pambelina wrote: »
    Hi Navan,

I remember 3 weeks into giving up, I was all excited because I could spend an extra 15/20 mins in bed in the morning because I wasn't wasting time having 3 smokes... ya gotta love the little things in life!
    Hope this helps and would like to know if others agree

Yes well put pambelina, great to hear that all is going well with yourself.......I love my time in bed but never thought about it like you did so that's why it's always good to hear other people's thoughts or ideas :D

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    ...having said that I came across this post written by me after a night out in May. Five months into giving up.....

thanks for digging that post out dolliemix, it just goes to show you how we all go through the same thoughts and reading something like that spurrs you on lol

:D:D

Advertisement