Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac's quitlog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shinshin14

Thanks so much for your support. Still in and out of bed with the
    bronchitis. Energy levels very low but coughing and pain in my ribs and back has eased.

Thank God I'm still off them. Keep thinking what it would be like if I had to
    wake up like this for the rest of my life. If I continued to smoke then this is what I could end up like

If it wasn't for the support of good neighbours this Christmas I do to get messages
    and make me a cuppa now and again.

No craving so far and no wild dreams. Crunch time for me will be when I get back to
    normality and get back to work so I will certainly link up with the site .

Good luck Maria and keep going

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

Fairway Jim - Maria : - "Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags" has a good few newly quit like yourselves.....

Macros -- your thread's an inspiration! Congratulations on a great year...

Shinshin - great to find your rant!! See you on 'QEF'...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Keep it going guys. 3 days means that nicotine has left your body. It gets easier from here. Stay vigilant and you'll get there.

So how's everyone doing? Month 15 in progress here. Rarely think about smoking now. Occasional cravings but mild and infrequent. I'm actually starting to consider myself a non-smoker now - instead of a recovering addict. That would be a big step in itself. I'm not codding myself - I'm still a smoker not smoking - but I don't see myself smoking again. 6 months ago I could see myself smoking again. It's a funny old game :)

15 months. And that's not an April Fool :D

How are the rest of us doing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Victoria26

Hey :)

I just wanted to say I loved reading your blog! have spent the last hour reading through the pages and following your progress!

Im 24hrs without a cigarette at this stage and only came across ur blog when searching for info on withdrawl and the dreaded cough! lol..

I think im gonna set up my own blog now, even if its only me who reads it :)

Keep up the great work! you've done so amazingly well! I just hope i can reach that stage! Im only 26, and feel about 50!

Victoria

You can. It's easier than you might think right now. Keep strong and you'll get there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

Macros42 wrote: »
    You can. It's easier than you might think right now. Keep strong and you'll get there :)
    Hey Mac ive just read your whole thread it was excellent really enjoyed it and well done to you.

Im 23 and I smoke around 15 a day, I play football at a fairly high level (and a fellow kildare man btw:D), Ive really started to notice how I am running out of breath very quickly and I hate it.

Ive tried so many times to quit and failed and its really starting to affect my life:(

We had a match today and I was awful could'nt run i was that knackered, so after I came home I said to myself I am going to give up at 6 tomorrow 10/4/2011 at 18:00.

Iam going to be using the patches so here goes.......

Best of luck. It's tough but as active as you are you will notice immediate results once you quit. Keep checking back in for support - there's no shortage of it here :)

16 months today. Not that I'm counting still ....

dolliemix - how you getting on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Good man Macros! Before you know it you'll be counting them in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭conan doyle

Macros,

In my eyes you are a legend, been following you all the time and you are doing great. I tried myself a few months back and failed miserably I'm ashamed to say.
    The reality of my addiction hit me like a ton of bricks this morning when I found myself once again doubled up with a fit of coughing. I had been researching natural remedies for this cough which by the way keeps me up at night when it dawned to me how ironic it was that I am so careful about what I put in to my body and yet I am filling myself with cancer inducing substance ten times or more each day!
    There a couple of cigs left in the box which I intend to keep for later and tomorrow I will be a non smoker. The other half has tormented me for ages about it so I know I will get all the support I need there. I'm sure there will be a few whoops of joy when I talk to him later on. I'm off to work now and I intend to let all my colleagues know the score and get them to support me as well. You have been and inspiration to so many of us and this time I hope I can do it. Got to fly now for my last day at work as a smoker, wish me luck for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Fair play Mac, I too have decided that on the 9th May the day that I quit that I am going to take up the C25K in order to have something to focus on................ Don't think I'd manage a marathon though!!:D

I've a feeling that posting in here each day will be a huge incentive to not relapse as I'd feel like I'd be letting everyone down who is also quitting in here!! so that is a good thing:)

Legend ... where's Mrs Macros - have to show her that :D

Seriously though I'm glad I can help show the way. But you do the hard work yourself. Best of luck for tomorrow. Just remember it's one day at a time. And don't beat yourself up or feel ashamed if you slip up - that will just make it harder for yourself next time. Just pick yourself up and dust yourself off and try again.

fluffy: the C25K is great. It really helped me. Keep on posting and let us know how you're getting on. But don't feel you'll be letting me or anyone else down if you don't make it - you're doing this for you and you alone. Good luck in your exams and roll on the 9th :)

btw - I've a copy of Allen Carr's book if anyone wants it. I didn't use it myself so can't vouch for it but it can't hurt. Just post here or pm me if you want it and I'll arrange to meet in Dublin or Maynooth or post it to you. All I ask in return is that you pass it on to someone else whenever you've no further need for it.

Kudos to Mrs Macros, as they say behind every good man is an even better woman!
    Hope my better half has the patience with me tomorrow. Had a chat with the gang at work so they are expecting a non smoking me tomorrow, here's hoping I will succeed. I feel committed and confident and trying to keep the momentum up- here's hoping anyway. Will keep everyone posted tomorrow and good fluffy will be with you in spirit tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

GOOD LUCK tomorrow Conan Doyle. We are all rooting for you.

Congrats on your decision to quit on the 9th. Hope all goes well for you. It's now nearly 10 o clock which is coffee time for us here and I can see my colleges reaching into handbags and jacket pockets already looking for their cigs. Trying to ignore all the temptation at the moment myself and turn my mind to something else.
    Fair play Mac, I too have decided that on the 9th May the day that I quit that I am going to take up the C25K in order to have something to focus on................ Don't think I'd manage a marathon though!!:D

I've a feeling that posting in here each day will be a huge incentive to not relapse as I'd feel like I'd be letting everyone down who is also quitting in here!! so that is a good thing:)

Go to the shop - get a bag of oranges. When you get a craving start peeling instead. When the craving passes enjoy the orange :)

Funnily enough other half packed a lunch for me today, normally it's just cigs for lunch and I found two small satsumas in the bag. They are tricky things to peel and it took me a while but my mind was off the cigs while I was occupied with them so another situation averted. I was standing by the window in my office while I was eating them and I glanced down at my colleagues all puffing away several floors below me you can imagine the craving hit me but I just reminded myself that they are down in the cold (blowing a gale down here and light rain as well) filling their lungs with cancer while I am up here in the heat nourishing myself. I keep thinking of what you said about the two wolves living inside me and the one I chose to feed is the good wolf who will help me stay off cigs and recover my health.

cheers macro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

How you getting on Conan, still off them?

Last Tuesday at exactly 6pm I smoked my last ciggarette, it's being 4 days, 8 hours and 53 mins and I feel great.

This is my millionth time to try and its the longest ive ever been off them, I'm using the Nicotine 24hr invispatch, I'm 23 and my life started as of last Tuesday.

I play football and the difference (even after just 4 days) is amazing, i'm not short of breath anymore and i'ts not a struggle anymore, it's very enjoyable.

The thing that has surprised me the most is, I can smell everything better, a few mates of mine smoke and the stink of fags off them when they come inside after one is disgusting, I can't believe I used to smell like that.

Anywho, just thought i'd share my experience with everyone.

Yes,

Still off them and doing fine so far. Trying to ignore the cravings and keep telling myself that it's only a feeling and it will pass. I also try and keep busy going out waking even it's raining!
    I had a similar experience to you when I picked up a coat I hadn't worn since the weather turned warm and I could smell the stink of cigarettes from it- really turned me off.

Glad to hear you're doing fine and keep it up.

Thats great guys. It is amazing how fast the body starts recovering. Three days is a big hurdle - it's when cravings reach a peak. Well done getting over that hurdle.

Keep it going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tippx

btw - I've a copy of Allen Carr's book if anyone wants it. I didn't use it myself so can't vouch for it but it can't hurt. Just post here or pm me if you want it and I'll arrange to meet in Dublin or Maynooth or post it to you. All I ask in return is that you pass it on to someone else whenever you've no further need for it.
    Id urge any one to cheak out this book ,I d say I smoked from the ages 14-38, I Tryed everything heard about alancarr on the G ryan show ages ago while buying a book for my Dad in Easons at christmas I came across the book That was 4 days before christmas 2001 i think 2 days later I was off them Never smoked again Its a very clever book , normaly when you give up you get a negetive vibe but I can still rember closeing that book 2 days before christmas feeling estactic he just puts you in a total different frame of mind I dont think I have any great will power but it just flicked a switch for me

100% reconmend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hi Mac

I haven't been logging on in a while. It's great to see this thread is still helping people. I've another really important reason to be happy I managed to to quit when I did.....I'm expecting a baby in December! :):):) I can honestly say that I believe that the changes I made in my life in the last year and a half have led to this exciting time in my life. I think my body is ready because I've been living healthily both physically and mentally.

It's well over a year since my last cigarette and it feels so good to be able to say to the doctors and the healthcare workers that I don't smoke.

In the meantime my boyfriend had given up smoking since early December, but went back on them only three weeks ago. He's very excited about the baby but I think a little overwhelmed and he lost his job two months ago. So I'm trying to find ways to encourage him to give up again without doing the whole 'when I gave up.....'. I know it's killing him that he's back on them :(

Good luck everybody who has recently joined or is following this thread. Take one day at a time and know that what you are doing will change your life for the better!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

dolliemix wrote: »
    .I'm expecting a baby in December! :):):) :D

OMG so thrilled for ya Dolliemix!
    Congratulations!

Explains the absence from the A/R/T forum!

Best of luck with your pregnancy.

Congrats dollie - delighted for you.

Now get your ass over the the Pregnant forum :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Well in 3 days time I am a year off the smokes. Reading back through this thread I see I got the dates wrong more than once. I quite on the 20th May last year so nearly there. Reading back it's easy to forget the amount of good and decent support people on here give. Thanks to everyone and good luck to those still trying.

Happy anniversary :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thats brillaint TomTom. Congrats

Sadly I lost my baby during the week....for the first time I am so jealous watching my boyfriend smoke. I don't have that crutch or comfort anymore......and I wont give in.......

Advertisement