Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the best home brew kit availible on the market?

• 02-01-2010 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I used to brew this stuff in the 80ies but gave up after a few attempts. I still have the old beer sphere and pressure co2 cylinder around the house. Is there any improvements in the last 15 -20 years? What kit is recommended?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

kits generally are quite decent...the best i have come across would be the brupak kits
    http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_14&zenid=a5ab1f687eeca2b3e4e0613445ffc912

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Basically avoid lager kits, use spraymalt instead of sugar or better still get a kit which requires no additional fermentables and watch your sanitation.
    I've had good results from brewferm kits and coopers. Don't go for the cheaper ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm about to crack open an iBrew one, so will post tomorrow with how I found it.

Des wrote: »
    I'm about to crack open an iBrew one, so will post tomorrow with how I found it.

actually tryed the ibrew ale on new years eve, my mate bought it a few weeks back...I was quite surprised how well it came out. Think i heard somewhere it was a coopers kit they use, although i cant be sure, it doesnt say it on the kit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I second the brewferm recommendation. I also find that they're smaller brews (e.g. 12 litres as opposed to 23 or so) which is easier to handle and bottle (and drink, if you're like me and don't have a huge circle to pawn the beer off to!)

• Advertisement

i have a brewferm 'triple' kit at home, was gonna give it to my mate but might just use it myself now!

I have one of those bottled, should be ready in a week or so! That's quite a small brew, only 9l - be sure and keep it somewhere warmish in this weather so it doesn't get stuck on you. I had a bit of trouble fermenting it, where it was in my house gets quite a bit cooler than the rest of the house so it needed a kick start about halfway through.

Prenderb wrote: »
    I have one of those bottled, should be ready in a week or so! That's quite a small brew, only 9l - be sure and keep it somewhere warmish in this weather so it doesn't get stuck on you. I had a bit of trouble fermenting it, where it was in my house gets quite a bit cooler than the rest of the house so it needed a kick start about halfway through.

I normally wrap a jacket around the fermenter when its cold out, or use a brewing belt...I'm actually thinking of doing it tomorrow, Wouldnt mind seeing how it comes out! Ever do the triple before? If so was it nice?

No, it's a first time out for me, so I'll have to let you know once I open it. Good plan with the blanket, I should have done the same myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anyone see those kits that were promoted at that Boys for Big Toys gig in the RDS? They had kits complete with a small beer sphere I got info off them but i think it ended up thrown in the recycle.

• Advertisement

Anyone see those kits that were promoted at that Boys for Big Toys gig in the RDS? They had kits complete with a small beer sphere I got info off them but i think it ended up thrown in the recycle.

Pretty sure that's the 'ibrew' you're talking about. to be honest, i'd recommend the starter kit from here http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=213&zenid=9b4d7f18da1516ce87ffffbc0b6f89a2 1st.....that's if you were to consider brewing as a possible hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Pretty sure that's the 'ibrew' you're talking about. to be honest, i'd recommend the starter kit from here http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=213&zenid=9b4d7f18da1516ce87ffffbc0b6f89a2 1st.....that's if you were to consider brewing as a possible hobby

Hi Guys,

I have been thinking of getting into this myself. I have been looking and I found that kit that thelynchfella mentioned, i also found this kit with the keg --> http://www.thehomebrewcentre.com/beer_kits.htm , Do you have a recommendation to which one would be good for a beginner.

I guess the beer wont last long when it is ready, so a keg might be a good option, but I have had bad experiences with the kegs you can get in the supermarket, usually they turn out to be all head and very difficult to pour, would this be the case with the keg kit above?

Is there a better beer to be had when bottled and not put in a keg?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

HotSwap wrote: »
    I have been looking and I found that kit that thelynchfella mentioned, i also found this kit with the keg --> http://www.thehomebrewcentre.com/beer_kits.htm , Do you have a recommendation to which one would be good for a beginner.
    That Woodforde's Wherry is a very good kit.

The Homebrew Centre keg kit has no hydrometer, which isn't strictly necessary but is very useful and worth bunging in with your order.
    would this be the case with the keg kit above?
    Nah, totally different set-up. The beer will be a lot less fizzy than cooking lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

i'm brewing with the ibrew kit atm. i'm moving to the second stage of the process today (tranferring to bottles), its my first go.....so i'll know in 2 weeks how it turns out. cant wait.
    but the process seems simple with this kit.
    it only take 3 weeks to be ready as it does not us suger to carbonate the beer, it is dispensed from a tap with CO2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Paulyh wrote: »
    i'm brewing with the ibrew kit atm. i'm moving to the second stage of the process today (tranferring to bottles), its my first go.....so i'll know in 2 weeks how it turns out. cant wait.
    but the process seems simple with this kit.
    it only take 3 weeks to be ready as it does not us suger to carbonate the beer, it is dispensed from a tap with CO2.

Amended quote: "...it only take 3 weeks to be ready as it does not us suger to carbonate the beer, it is supposed to be dispensed from a tap with CO2."

A couple of us have had problems with the ibrew kit when it comes to dispensing (basically carbonation/dispensing doesn't work). I tries two CO2 canisters but no use - ended up unscrewing and manually pouring the flat beer. :mad:

Amended quote: "...it only take 3 weeks to be ready as it does not us suger to carbonate the beer, it is supposed to be dispensed from a tap with CO2."

A couple of us have had problems with the ibrew kit when it comes to dispensing (basically carbonation/dispensing doesn't work). I tries two CO2 canisters but no use - ended up unscrewing and manually pouring the flat beer. :mad:

get onto the ibrew crowd...i wouldnt settle for that, and i'm sure they'd replace it

eeek,

Im glad I came on here first, as I was tempted by this. Let us know if it resolved by them.

[quote= A couple of us have had problems with the ibrew kit when it comes to dispensing (basically carbonation/dispensing doesn't work). I tries two CO2 canisters but no use - ended up unscrewing and manually pouring the flat beer. :mad:[/quote]

Ah.........i thought it might be a bit tricky.
    I'll be well pi$$ed off if its nasty!! :mad:
    how did the (flat) beer taste??

Ah.........i thought it might be a bit tricky.
    I'll be well pi$$ed off if its nasty!! :mad:
    how did the (flat) beer taste??

The beer is quite nice carbonated! I think it'd taste ok flat too!!

sweet! i hope the taps work so.......i've another week to go till its ready:(

• Advertisement

sweet! i hope the taps work so.......i've another week to go till its ready:(

think it says leave it for half an hour when you put the gas in it....i'd leave it for about an hour or so

i will do thanks.

its ready on a thursday, so it will be the weekend till i really test it it out:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Have to say i drank a few glasses out of determination :D but it wasn't brilliant and I haven't touched it in last few days out of disappointment. It was just about drinkable but I reckon that might've been down to temperatures being a bit low during the brewing process.

I Didn't see any instructions where it said to leave the beer for a half hour before using - maybe it was that simple a mistake that caused the flat beer but couldn't get an any answer from them today and was planning to use my second batch with a few friends tonight. Now not sure whether to chance it and risk ruining the second batch :confused:

i've been keeping it in the spare room while brewing, it is very cold in there, might as well be in a fridge, i might move it into the kitchen where it will be a bit warmer.
    To be fair, the beer smelt lovely when i was tranferring it to the bottles, nice and sweet. But i'm not sure if that has any bearing on the finished taste!

i'm just thinking here, does the bottle need to be in a horizontal position when your attaching the little Co2 canisters?? that might affect the 'gasiness' of it?

ok, today is the day!!! my beer is ready!! i'll be popping the tap on this evening and having a sample!! i'll be devastated if it is hiddeous.............

hopefully i will be coming into work in the morning with hangover :D

i'll let you know how it turns out!!!

ok, well i am impressed with how it turned out!! put the tap on a stuck the bottle in the fridge, used one co2 capsule. the beer i really nice!! the first pint was flatish though, so used a second co2 capsule and it was much better................so, one 10 pint bottle down.....(shared some with a mate;)) and i would say it is a success!!!! definately worth the wait!

ok, well i am impressed with how it turned out!! put the tap on a stuck the bottle in the fridge, used one co2 capsule. the beer i really nice!! the first pint was flatish though, so used a second co2 capsule and it was much better................so, one 10 pint bottle down.....(shared some with a mate;)) and i would say it is a success!!!! definately worth the wait!

Did you have any issues with the beer foaming up when you were pouring it?

Did you have any issues with the beer foaming up when you were pouring it?

the first pint on the first bottle (you get two 10 pint bottles) was about half head half beer. but the pour is quite slow so its not a problem, with the the 2 co2 bottles on it, it was perfect. just need to tilt the glass in the usual fashion when pouring.

Advertisement