Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Year - New NCT Website

• 02-01-2010 3:13am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From a design perspective, its rubbish with scrolling required everywhere. They can't even get their logo correct!
    (text on left logo used across the site is skewed compared to the logo (on the right) used by the online booking page)
    logo.pngNCTSLogo.png

It took me a second to notice the online booking link on the bookings page (its late!).

The location maps are good - I don't think that they were on the last site.

I presume that the FAQs are simply copied over from the last site - however:
    NCTS will accept cash, personal cheque with bankers card, all major credit cards and laser cards.
    How much will the test cost?
    and
    1. It couldn’t be easier to go for your NCT, from the 4th January, you can now book and pay for your NCT on line (please remember to bring a print out of your confirmed booking with you to the test centre on the day of the test).
    (from homepage) - what are the odds that the FAQ won't be updated?

The monthly stats should prove interesting but it would be much better if they gave decent info behind these stats!

Oh and Full revised NCT Manual now available for download here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Jesus, its bad!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

Jaysus its fairly ****e alright,the old site was much better/easier to follow.Changes must be to do with the takeover by the new crowd.Spanish,tough fekkers when it comes to testing apparently:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

alo1587 wrote: »
    Jaysus its fairly ****e alright,the old site was much better/easier to follow.Changes must be to do with the takeover by the new crowd.Spanish,tough fekkers when it comes to testing apparently:(

If the training they are giving their new testers is anything to go by,
    we normal regular motorists are in big trouble.

They seem to be pedantic to the Nth degree....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

v300 wrote: »

Why,what have you heard:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Indeed, what have people heard about this new crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Looking at how many cent they spent on their site I'd say the testing will be pretty basic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

It's interesting that the taxi testing seems to have been spun off from the NCT. IIRC, Taxi testing was done by the old crowd in the NCT centres, but the new crowd don't want them, going by the "new" NCT website (that looks like it was designed by a blind computer illiterate civil servant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

wow, one of the worst designed sites i've seen in a while! perhaps its only temporary though, until the new crowd are up and running properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My 9 year old daughter could design a better website than that. Would you trust them with your car based on the state of their website?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nct.ie I assume? Why do I need to login before I can view anything? :S

EDIT: Ah, ncts.ie - odd choice that. Interesting choice of design, I actually (god help me for saying this) preferred the old design. This is probably the most basic and simple designs I have came across in sometime. Scrolling is a poor choice - could have been avoided and keeping with the simple theme. I assume that was an in-house job rather then outsourced to any professional designers judging by how it was approached. Very very basic and simple. Could easily have spiced it up design wise and made it just as easy to use. The scrolling is a poor choice and defeats the (I assume) purpose of the chosen design approach - generally they are avoided rather then implemented!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrsweasley

Does anyone know when you can book your test online ?

It is constantly giving back an error message today .

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I actually never had any complaints with the old NCT testing crowd and will be sorry to see them go. Does the termination of their contract mean that all of their employees are now out of a job?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

v300 wrote: »

They can't fail for items not contained within the manual though!
    Mrsweasley wrote: »
    Does anyone know when you can book your test online ?

It is constantly giving back an error message today .

Many thanks.
    online booking from Jan 4th according to the site.
    VolvoMan wrote: »
    I actually never had any complaints with the old NCT testing crowd and will be sorry to see them go. Does the termination of their contract mean that all of their employees are now out of a job?
    according to the Irish Times
    It is understood the majority of the NCTS workforce will transfer to the new company under the transfer of undertakings. These regulations were designed to safeguard employee rights following the change of ownership of a company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    Oh and Full revised NCT Manual now available for download here
    Front page says 2004, and no mention of tinted windows and fart can exhausts. I think that's the old one.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Front page says 2004, and no mention of tinted windows and fart can exhausts. I think that's the old one.
    Correct but in fairness, I copied/pasted straight from their site (on the ncts.ie homepage) and at that hour last night after about six hours working on a college project, I didn't open the link so don't entirely blame me for the inaccuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote: »
    I didn't open the link so don't entirely blame me for the inaccuracy.
    Well, jeez, in that case who else can I blame? :)

EDIT: actually what concerns me is that that is the new one and that all that talk about noisy exhausts and tinted windows was bullshit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

That is dreadful.

This is an insult to web developers that work hard on sites. Bet who ever done this was grossly over paid for this piece of sh*t!.

Edit: Okay it doesn't have iframes but still...those scroll bars in middle page look crap.

JHMEG wrote: »
    actually what concerns me is that that is the new one and that all that talk about noisy exhausts and tinted windows was bullshit.
    I don't think it is - I think they just haven't revised the manual - see the quote below from the RSA site
    The changes include measures such as additional tests for lighting, window clarity (level of tinting), exhaust noise levels and tyre quality assurance markings, measures to deal with dangerously defective vehicles, and (from June 2011) the annual testing of vehicles over 10 years old.
    <snip>
    Main Changes to the NCT with effect from January 4th 2010:
    10. Dangerous Vehicle
    New arrangements will apply when it is considered that a tested vehicle would be a danger to the public if driven. In such a case a “Fail Dangerous” notice will be affixed, and An Garda Siochana will be notified if the owner/presenter drives the vehicle from the centre. The use of a dangerously defective vehicle on a public road is an offence for which the driver and owner could be prosecuted with a fine of up to €2,000 and 5 penalty points on conviction and/or 3 months imprisonment.
    11. Vehicle Registration/Licensing Certificate
    The details of the Vehicle Registration/Licensing Certificate which must be presented at NCT will be compared to the vehicle. Any discrepancies will be notified to the owner/presenter and Vehicle Registration Unit. Even if the vehicle passes all other aspects of the test, a test certificate will not be issued until the discrepancies are corrected.
    12. Cars over 30 years old
    At present vehicles over 30 years old are exempt. From now on vehicles registered prior to 1 January 1980 will not be liable to testing. In this way older vehicles will be brought into the testing system year on year.
    13. Requirement for Identification
    The owner/presenter of the vehicle will be required to produce a driving licence or passport, and, if relevant, details of the garage/company on behalf of which the vehicle is presented.
    Main Changes to the NCT with effect from April 1st 2010:
    14. Clarity of windscreen and front side windows
    Excessively tinted windscreens or front side windows present a significant safety hazard for drivers and their occupants. The glass in the windscreen and front side windows will be required to have a light transmission level of not less than 65% in order to pass the test.
    15. Rear fog lamp
    Rear fog lamps enhance the visibility of a car in foggy conditions by indicating the vehicle's position and direction of travel to other road users. The rear fog lamp, where fitted, will be checked to ensure that when in use it provides a red light which is clearly visible.
    16. Reverse lamp
    The reverse lamp of a vehicle provides illumination to the rear when backing up, and warns nearby drivers and pedestrians of a vehicle's backward motion. The reverse lamp, where fitted, will be checked to ensure that when in use it provides a white light which is clearly visible.

17. Tyres
    Car tyres are the only point of contact between a vehicle and the road. The standards to which tyres are designed and built, is critical to ensuring adequate grip is maintained with the road surface. An "E" or “e” mark indicates that the tyre is certified to comply with international regulations. A vehicle will fail if an “E” or “e” mark is not visible.
    18. Malfunction indicators for Airbags, Electronic Stability Control (ESC) systems and Electronic Braking Systems (EBS) / Anti-Lock Brake system (ABS).
    Today’s cars are fitted with a number of warning lamps on a dashboard that let the driver know if certain critical safety, performance and environmental features are not working properly. They are important safety features and it is in the interest of the driver and road safety that all safety systems in the vehicle are in full working order. Vehicles will be checked to ensure that, where fitted, the malfunction indicators for Airbags, Electronic Stability Control (ESC) systems and Electronic Braking Systems (EBS) / Anti-Lock Brake system (ABS) are in correct working order. The vehicle will fail if a malfunction indicator is not working or indicates a defect in the system.
    19. Rear registration plate lamp
    Rear registration plate lamps provide essential illumination to the registration plate of a vehicle once parking lights are activated. The reverse lamp, where fitted, will be checked to ensure that when in use it provides a white light which is clearly visible. If it is not in proper working order a “Fail Advisory” will result i.e. it is strongly recommended that the fault be repaired but a failed test will not result because of this fault alone;
    20. Vehicle exhaust noise
    The nuisance caused by excessive noise from vehicle exhausts is regularly the subject of comments and complaints. Examination of a cars exhaust silencer, and its effectiveness at reducing noise is part of the current NCT. It is proposed to implement a noise check of vehicles that the vehicle inspector deems to be excessively noisy. The vehicle will be required to have a level of noise no greater than 99db in order to pass the test.
    Changes to the NCT with effect from June 2011:
    21. Annual testing of vehicles over 10 years old
    At present two thirds of cars aged 10 years and older presented for a test do not pass first time. These older vehicles are more likely to be involved in a collision. Almost half (47%) of collisions that occurred in 2007 involved vehicles that were 9 years old or more. From 1 June 2011 annual testing of cars over 10 years old will commence. Cars over 10 years old will be issued an annual certificate after this date.
    Taxi Suitability Testing
    22. A new provider is taking over the provision of taxi suitability testing and the issuing of taxi suitability certificates from 4 January 2010. This service will no longer be available at NCT. The Commission for Taxi Regulation is working with the industry in relation to the new arrangements.
    http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/News/MINISTER_FOR_TRANSPORT_ANNOUNCES_CHANGES_TO_THE_NATIONAL_CAR_TEST_%28NCT%29.html

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mrsweasley

online booking from Jan 4th according to the site.

Many thanks for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Webmonkey wrote: »
    That is dreadful.

This is an insult to web developers that work hard on sites. Bet who ever done this was grossly over paid for this piece of sh*t!.

I'm most fond of the image on the bookings page - nice lake scene :)

about-placeholder2.jpg really hits the spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Horrific website, horrific logo, and they still seem as unable as the old NCTS to remember to send reminder letters; as I've got a Jan 06 registered car outside without one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

MYOB wrote: »
    Horrific website, horrific logo, and they still seem as unable as the old NCTS to remember to send reminder letters; as I've got a Jan 06 registered car outside without one...

AFAIK they don't HAVE to send out reminder letters anymore and have stopped this practice entirely. Its on the owner to ring up and book an NCT once the car is due one and then they will receive a confirmation letter of that appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

"Motor vehicles used only on islands not connected to the mainland by road..." are not subjected to the NCT. Thats interesting.

I want to see this picture again, as mentioned above.

about-placeholder2.jpg

Ahhh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

the on-line booking page seems to be down still.

its there for me (didn't try to make booking)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Has anyone else had problems using the online booking?

I'm trying, using my reg no. and the date of 1st registration but it's coming up
    No information found for your search

It's due in march and i just want to try and get in a bit early.

Am I doing something wrong, like am i to early applying?
    The car was brought in from the north and nct'd by the previous owner. so i cant figure how there's no record of the car there.

Any ideas and/or suggestions are appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

sk8board wrote: »
    the on-line booking page seems to be down still.
    Still the same today, will just have to ring them up to get a booking.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭YourSQL

bazz26 wrote: »
    My 9 year old daughter could design a better website than that. Would you trust them with your car based on the state of their website?

nothing wrong with the site, very minimalist. extremely fast to load. tis great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭YourSQL

"Motor vehicles used only on islands not connected to the mainland by road..." are not subjected to the NCT. Thats interesting.

I want to see this picture again, as mentioned above.

about-placeholder2.jpg

Ahhh....

Move to Inis Mor :)

this stuff about testing cars over 10 years annually is a pain. i suppose the government want to give that crowd of spanish bullfighters another chance to put your car through an excessive 'stress test' in the hope that you'll be forced to buy a new one + pay VRT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabbo57

MYOB wrote: »

The onus is on the owner to get it tested. People shouldn't needed to be reminded :rolleyes:

Advertisement