Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What interior temperature should a dog kennell be at?

Options
  • 02-01-2010 3:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I have a nice insulated dog kennell for the dogs - made by myself and so well insulated its almost sound proof but at the same time has good air circulation enabling clean air to be available for breathing.

It has an automatic air heating system operated electrically from an adjoining garage. The problem is that this is timer rather than temperature set which can result in difficulty in setting the right temp for the kennel.

Thermostatic adapter switches I knew must exist (Discodog says they do in his related thread) since we did manage to get to the moon some time back but if you went into any hardware / electrical store here the best they could think of was a thermostat switch for the central heating.

So to my Q - what temp should I set it (the kennel) at bearing in mind that I will have to work out the differential in temps between the kennel interior and the garage containing the thermostatic adapter switch. The kennel interior can remain quite warm compared to its surroundings (in the unheated car garage) even without an external heat source. I want the dogs to be warm without overheating. I have no confidence in heat blankets and can't install them as I have some expensive cars in the garage and don't want any fire risks. That's why I chose a mild air heating system.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Well your two Dobermanns will have fine coats, so they would need a higher temperature then say a retriever would. You could have it at say 20'C which is room temperature, because if they are sleeping together that will warm them up too.

Do you have a heat lamp? You could put a heat lamp in one corner of the kennel so if the dogs want to be warmer still, they can move under it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Thanks Magenta I suppose its just a matter of rial and error. I am not sure would the differential in temps between the switch location and the kennel interior remain consant as general temps fluctuate?

Its at times like these I regret not having paid any attention during Physics & Chemistry classes.:o

Btw have an aversion to heat lamps after hearing one exploded and set the straw the dogs were sleeping on alight - and poor dobies they were too so never have used and never will.

Advertisement