Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC's 3 Men On A Boat - Limerick Poetry in Tom Collins...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Liam79 you are a troll of the highest order. I dont think you have any place on this forum. You are probably friends of the two girls going by your answers.

Limerick has a positive image, one you have previously mentioned that you dont like and if i was asked by a reporter what is limerick famous for, you probably wouldnt like the answer.

RANT OVER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Liam79 wrote: »
    ps...what time and where do the "defend limerick at all costs to all outsiders" committee meet lads??

class! :D i already have a memebers list in mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

MrFireBox wrote: »
    Thats exactly the attitude that contributes to Limerick having a bad name. Limerick people should try and promote the place and speak of it in a more positive fashion. It would benefit everyone and costs nothing.
    No its innocent people like Brian Fitzgerald, Shane Geoghean, Roy Collins, Jeffrey Hannon, Daniel Fitzgerald, Georgina O'Donnell, etc. getting murdered in Limerick that gives it a bad name.

The Limerick is heaven on earth brigade like yourself is cringe-worthy.

Jigga wrote: »
    No its innocent people like Brian Fitzgerald, Shane Geoghean, Roy Collins, Jeffrey Hannon, Daniel Fitzgerald, Georgina O'Donnell, etc. getting murdered in Limerick that gives it a bad name.

The Limerick is heaven on earth brigade like yourself is cringe-worthy.

he isnt saying limerick is heaven - its the fact that this was broadcast to the UK and Ireland and maybe far afield.

We should all be trying to promote our city to invite tourism and investment into the city instead of bringing the city down.

I am sure the Limerick Co-ord office wouldnt be proud of some peoples attitudes on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

The question is a bit ridiculous to begin with; you could ask a million people what is Limerick famous for and I would say less than 1% will say poetry.

What is Limerick famous for anyway?

I was thinking the shannon, rugby and bunratty castle. But the shannon runs through the whole length of the country, its really munster thats the most famous in rugby terms and is bunratty castle in clare? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

he isnt saying limerick is heaven - its the fact that this was broadcast to the UK and Ireland and maybe far afield.

We should all be trying to promote our city to invite tourism and investment into the city instead of bringing the city down.

I am sure the Limerick Co-ord office wouldnt be proud of some peoples attitudes on here
    Limerick Co-ordination Office - the clowns who wasted €100,000 on a stupid Christmas tree. I don't give a sh!t what they think.

Innocent people are murdered here and anyone who uses drugs have blood on their hands as they are helping fund the gangs. Limerick has a bad name which it probably deserves and its not going to change if people just bury their heads in the sand and deny it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Will u get your head out of your arse!
    They were asked whats Limerick most famous for....and nationally, not internationally, but nationally that IS what Limerick is most famous for unfortunately.

They were dead right....what do you think, we are all duty bound to be some kinda Bord Failte rep when ever a non Limerick person asks us about town..???

Add to that they were teenagers and prob think Limerick's image is kinda cool....they will grow out of it ....

But to have a go at them over it is ridiculous.

Come in out of the precious fog Ron :rolleyes:

Liam79 - First of all I want to make one thing quite clear before I answer the rest of your post. I WAS NOT "HAVING A GO" at the two girls! I explicitly stated that I didn't think they were trying to be smart with the answer they gave Rory McGrath. I was merely highlighting the effect that the feuds and associated media coverage have on the image perception of our city by impressionable teenagers. Clearly that was lost on you.

Secondly if you want to get pedantic about the finer details then two can play at that game. Limerick is "famous" for sports (Rugby), literature (Frank McCourt) and acting (Richard Harris), amongst other things. It is "infamous" for drugs and feuds. Don't make the mistake of confusing the two.

Finally I would like to point out to you that there is a time and a place for mentioning the negative aspects of our city and this was not one of them. Your asinine opinion that it is funny, not to mention correct, to bring up the drug and feud situation on such an occasion clearly highlights your failure to comprehend the culture of fear that these parasites thrive on exploiting. The gangs are media whores and like nothing better than to have their “reputation” reinforced at every available opportunity. I wouldn’t expect a teenage girl to understand this but an adult should. Frankly I wouldn’t give the gangs the satisfaction by acknowledging their presence on TV. It is merely serves to stroke their over-inflated ego’s even further. Then again perhaps you get off on that also and are just another infantile troll who thinks that being from “Stab City” gives him street cred so he can swell up like a toad for his mates.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Limerick is "famous" for sports (Rugby)

You've done it now - Liam hates when limericks boardsies mention that the city is famous for Rugby.

And very true about the feuds and drugs being infamous as opposed to famous.

And Jiggy, the Limerick Co-ordination office is here to promote our city (see below):
    The Limerick Co-Ordination Office works with partners across the city to promote its
    key attributes, raise its profile and enhance and inform perceptions.

Limerick has a very solid foundation from which to promote its undoubted attractions. The goal is to communicate and showcase the city’s core strengths and bring them to a wider audience.

Raising a positive profile of Limerick will impact on the local economy, our image and encourage more people to visit the city and experience all that is good about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ilovelimerick

www.ilovelimerick.com 's Miriam Garcia Mortell was the make-up artist seen on the show! the show is up on youtube heres the first part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj4awkHc_Ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Mc Love wrote: »
    You've done it now - Liam hates when limericks boardsies mention that the city is famous for Rugby.

Why is that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

not true
    what i hate is the way some people "the limerick co-ordination office etc) seem to think its ALL we have to offer

its all we ever hear about Limerick....Ireland rugby capital....limericks rich rugby culture etc etc etc

There is more to Limerick City than Rugby!!! Especially when there is only ONE Limerick city born and bred player on the regular starting Munster team!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

not true
    what i hate is the way some people "the limerick co-ordination office etc) seem to think its ALL we have to offer

its all we ever hear about Limerick....Ireland rugby capital....limericks rich rugby culture etc etc etc

There is more to Limerick City than Rugby!!! Especially when there is only ONE Limerick city born and bred player on the regular starting Munster team!!!!
    There's more than one Limerick player on the regular starting Munster team.

If you've been to Thomond much (which I'm sure you have), or even around the city on match day its clear to see why its called Irelands rugby capital.

There's more than one Limerick player on the regular starting Munster team.

If you've been to Thomond much (which I'm sure you have), or even around the city on match day its clear to see why its called Irelands rugby capital.

First team when all fit

15. Paul Warwick - Aussie
    14- Dougie - All Black
    13 - Maifi - South Sea Islander
    12 - De Villiers - South African
    11 - Earls - Limerick City
    10 - ROG - USA born Cork Man
    9 - TOL - Cork born and Bred
    8 - Quinny - Tipp Born and Bred
    7- Wally - Cork born, Lives in COUNTY Limerick
    6 - Leamy - Tipp Born and Bred
    5 - POC - COUNTY Limerick man
    4 DOC - Cork man
    3. John Hayes - COUNTY limerick man
    2. Fla - Galway born, Limerick man
    1. Marcus Horan - Clare man thru and thru

So....tell me....apart from Earls....who else on that team is Limerick City born and bred???

While we are at it, lets look at the main subs
    Ronan - Meath Man (Leinster)
    Mushy - Cork Man
    Mick O'Driscoll - Cork Man
    Dowling - Kilkenny (Leinster)
    Denis Hurley - Meath - (Leinster)
    Fogerty - Tipp Man

NEXT QUESTION??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

So....tell me....apart from Earls....who else on that team is Limerick City born and bred???

NEXT QUESTION??!!

Jerry Flannery....the only reason he is listed as "Galway" born is the fact that his mother, a Galway city native, went to Galway for his birth as she wanted to deal with her family doctor. She is a nurse by profession. Jerry was "Galway" born for the first 5 days of his life, since then he's Limerick all the way. Ask his Dad if you (you probably won't ) don't believe me.

As an aside Liam79, I think you are very evenly balanced .....you have chips on both shoulders....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Not to knock on anyone's parade but stabbings,murders and the feuds is what Limerick is most well known for.

To be honest I was only winding with the Jerry thing. But its true he was born in galway so earls is the only true born and bred limerick city man! :D 2 limerick city men on the team, look at all the cork lads even tipp!
    Even the limerick legends that are Wood Gallimh and Claw, only claw is a limerick man!!! The other are clare and Kerry!!! The Limerick City = Munster thing is a myth.

Look, contrary to what ye might think, i am a massive munster fan, have a magners league home season ticket and go to all home and many away games.

My major gripe is the fact I happen to think Limerick has plenty more to offer than just rugby but yet all we ever hear about limerick when we talk about promoting it is "rugby" which is a minority sport everywhere outside Limerick!!!
    We should have a lot more things to say than "oh we have a great rugby culture"

Do you think your average tourist knows or cares that we play rugby...???? :confused:

Forgive my ignorance, but where were David Wallace and Paul O' Connell born and bred?

Also what about another Ireland international Eoin Redden? Is he not another Limerick man?

Paul O'Connell is from COUNTY limerick....you know, that place out there in the "sticks" where there are moo cows and baa baa sheep........

And god bless us....you are killing yourself here.....Eoin Reddan plays for Leinster not Munster :)

David Wallace like his brothers Richard and Paul are all Cork men
    Dont believe me? Check it out! he was born in the regional in limerick but was raised in cork....much like your fla example with galway
    Paul O'Connell is from COUNTY limerick....you know, that place out there in the "sticks" where there are moo cows and baa baa sheep........

And god bless us....you are killing yourself here.....Eoin Reddan plays for Leinster not Munster :)
    Sorry can only find wiki as a source but:
    David Wallace was born 8 July 1976 in Limerick City, County Limerick. He grew up in Limerick on the Ennis Road. He is a rugby union openside flanker, a member of the Irish international team and Munster Rugby province. He has also played blindside flank, number eight and wing for Munster. He was educated at Crescent College, Limerick.
    Must have been a long commute from Cork to the Crescent Comp.

I know Eoin Redden plays for Leinster, but there is rugby outside of Munster you know.

Where in county Limerick did you say Paul O Connell was from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Whilst I accept that the strategy of marketing the city solely on a rugby platform is weak at best and dangerous at worst, I would take issue with any attack on Limerick's status as Ireland's rugby capital.

Even if there was not a single Limerickman on the team, the main ground is in the city and the people of the city provide most of the support. You can chat to any random person and they will have their opinions on the game and be quite knowledgable. When you travel, you note immediately how different Limerick is in that respect.

People around the world immediately on hearing the words Manchester or Barcelona are thinking of association football. They don't go and contemplate how many native-born sons are currently on the team before doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

jackncoke wrote: »
    Not to knock on anyone's parade but stabbings,murders and the feuds is what Limerick is most well known for.

Print out your post jackncoke and bring it to any GP, where it can be immediately exchanged for a prescription for some Prozac or uppers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

topper75 wrote: »
    Print out your post jackncoke and bring it to any GP, where it can be immediately exchanged for a prescription for some Prozac or uppers or something.

I beg your pardon,are you from Limerick?I assume you are.
    How could you tell how the rest of Ireland looks at Limerick so?

Ask 10 people anywhere in this country,and 9/10 will mention either murders/stabbings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

boomerang wrote: »
    Limerick looked amazingly beautiful in the autumn sunlight. :) Lovely to see the city portrayed in a positive light for once... Apart from the two local young girls on Thomas Street who were asked what Limerick is famous for, and replied "feuds and drugs." :D

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

Not to knock on your parade, but unless people start talking about something else, such as rugby, then this will not change.

So I'll choose to focus on the positive (whilst not ignoring the negative). Cannot for the life of me see why I should have to hang my head in some sort of communal angst-ridden shame when my home town is mentioned. All that does is perpetuate the negative.

Or as my mother would say - if you've nathin' good to say, spare us your words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

I met some american students over in mary i for the last 2 weeks and i struggled to tell them stuff and things to do in limerick,all i got is you seem to alot of bars comment

Yep outside of Limerick! Painted by the Media - when as you know as you have been living in Limerick its not as bad as that is it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I beg your pardon,are you from Limerick?I assume you are.
    How could you tell how the rest of Ireland looks at Limerick so?

I beg your pardon but are you from Britain? I assume you are not, if not how would you know how Britain looks at Limerick?

You do know that this is a thread about a British tv show right? What has what people from other parts of Ireland do or do not think about Limerick got to do with this thread?:confused::confused::confused:

I met some american students over in mary i for the last 2 weeks and i struggled to tell them stuff and things to do in limerick,all i got is you seem to alot of bars comment
    I'm struggling to make out exactly what you are trying to say but there is plenty to do in Limerick, it just depends what you're into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Where in county Limerick did you say Paul O Connell was from?

he's a drombanna man i believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

There's not much talk of poetry in this thread.

Advertisement