Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TMax Developer...

• 02-01-2010 6:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'll be returning to Ireland temporarily at the end of the week with RB67 in tow - and out of curiosity, where does one find developer in Ireland?

I know where to source chemicals online and here in Montréal, so that's a non-issue. Dublin I presume would be the only over-the-counter place anymore?

L

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The only place I've ever looked for developer is Gunns in Dublin, but I've never asked for TMax so I can't say if they stock it.

I've ordered it online a few times, never a problem with customs, I only go for small quantities though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

Well I blooming never. Davitt's Photocenter, Salthill, Galway.

I drop my roll of Provia in to be developed and LO! To my right is a row of white bottles. Ilford developer, stop and fixer! Small mercies...

L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I think Ilford only makes developer products for paper, if I recall correctly. and TMax developer is a very specific type of developer (it's for getting very high contrast.) so he's probably not looking for anything else. I prefer Kodak D76 developer myself. Less contrasty (can always add contrast in the darkroom) less graininess, and much finer shadow detail. Makes me long for the days of having my own darkroom! I miss it!
    Well I blooming never. Davitt's Photocenter, Salthill, Galway.

I drop my roll of Provia in to be developed and LO! To my right is a row of white bottles. Ilford developer, stop and fixer! Small mercies...

L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Gunns in Dublin stock TMax and the usual other array of kodak developers

Nay, Heebie, Ilfosol 3 is AFAIK a film developer, but Rapid Fixer will fix both paper and fillum. Anyhoo, my test shots on PanF went...OK. I've heard it's a dodgy and unpredictable film at best...so no panicking there. At least I know when a box full of TMAX100 arrives, all is good!

L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Heebie wrote: »
    I think Ilford only makes developer products for paper,

Ilford make a whole range of film developer products. I routinely use DD-X which is a modern versatile high speed developer designed for T-grain films (similar to the tmax developer). I've also used ilfosol, a fine grain developer meant for slower speed films. They also make a bunch of older style powder and liquid devs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I've never found Pan F 50 to be "unpredictable" It has magnificent grain and the detail you get in a well exposed shot is amazing. (It also tends to be very forgiving for overexposures.. not so much for unders.) I generally developed it in D76. I don't like the grain structure in TMAX all that much.. the whole "T" shaped grain thing is just kinda weird to me.
    I was unaware of Ilfosol 3. If I ever get back into a darkroom I might check it out for Ilford films. (I prefer Ilford's films to Kodak's. and.. I haven't shot on film in around 3 years now.)
    It all comes down to personal taste for film. I'd also shoot Kodak Plus-X and Tri-X over TMax. (the T-grain just bugs me.) I prefer Ilford Delta at 400 and 3200. (although I usually shoot the w3200 at 1600, and then process as if shot at 3200)
    Nay, Heebie, Ilfosol 3 is AFAIK a film developer, but Rapid Fixer will fix both paper and fillum. Anyhoo, my test shots on PanF went...OK. I've heard it's a dodgy and unpredictable film at best...so no panicking there. At least I know when a box full of TMAX100 arrives, all is good!
    L

Could've been insufficient agitation etc...who knows. I'll give it another bash. 'User error' undoubtedly, and while one or two exposures look fine...the rest are messed up. Almost dead-cert an agitation issue.

Advertisement