Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Reading 2/1/10 FA Cup 3rd Round Match Thread

• 02-01-2010 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

1_18.jpg

The match is live on ITV 1.

The last time these two met , Liverpool won 2-1, with goals from Fernando Torres and Javier Mascherano. Matějovský scoring for Reading.

Injured:
    Liverpool: Glen Johnson, Martin Kelly, Albert Riera, Nabil El Zhar
    Reading: Jay Tabb, Noel Hunt

Suspened:
    Liverpool: Javier Mascherano
    Reading: -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Good graphics there Podge. Yes Pool fans will be heartened by the imminent arrival of Argentinian player Maxi Rodriguez who is on a loan spell from Athletico Madrid.
    Rodriguez is linking up with former team-mate Torres and with Maxi pushing for a starting place in Diego Maradonna's World Cup team I think we can expect him to liven things up at Anfield.
    Looking forward to todays game. FA CUp games are always special and will be curious to see what sort of team Rafa puts out.
    Expect he will rest Torres with Aquilani to continue his run in midfield. A goal from our Italian star would be nice today.
    Good luck to the lads anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

weeeeee, the FA cup.:)

I know very little about Reading tbh but it's the FA cup and with our poor form I wouldn't be taking anything for granted.
    As Bay said the talk of a few new faces arriving at anfield will is a timely boost to the club and will hopefully serve to lift morale.A cup match is a nice break from the league grind too for the players.

I'm actually really looking forward to this,for all the importance of the Champions league and top 4 places,I, like many others have fond memories of FA cup days and I'm delighted it's time for it all to start over again!

Yes really think we need to drive on now and make the best of what we have here. No pool fan would be happy with the current state of play but really do think its crucial that we treat the next five months as the most important in our history. With the stadium work due to begin soon very important that we generate as much revenue through champions league qualification.
    As for the Fa cup we haven't been challenging for it and I think it would be very good for morale to get a good run in the competition this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

weeeeee, the FA cup.:)

I know very little about Reading tbh but it's the FA cup and with our poor form I wouldn't be taking anything for granted.
    As Bay said the talk of a few new faces arriving at anfield will is a timely boost to the club and will hopefully serve to lift morale.A cup match is a nice break from the league grind too for the players.

I'm actually really looking forward to this,for all the importance of the Champions league and top 4 places,I, like many others have fond memories of FA cup days and I'm delighted it's time for it all to start over again!

All you need to know is that they're sh!t at home. They've won something like 2 matches at the Madjeski in the whole of 2009. I'm not taking anything for granted, it is the FA Cup after all, but we should end up winning this fairly comfortably in the end.

It's been a bad time recently for Reading (have they appointed a new manager yet??) and this match should be a sell out seeing as they're watching a big team in the cup.

The atmosphere should be really good and it might be a tad jittery early on as they'll be up for it, but if we can get an early goal and settle down, we should win this by three or four!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

here ya go danny

Reading stats

1 win
    5 losses
    6 draws

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id like to see Pacheco get a start behind N'Gog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Headshot wrote: »
    here ya go danny

Reading stats

1 win
    5 losses
    6 draws

Not too dissimilar to our own.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

So they're bad at home,
    Its FA cup 3rd round,
    We're not playing well,
    Probably put out a 'weakened' team,
    and its on live TV.

I'm getting nervous;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Looking forward to the FA Cup. Always love the first weekend with the PL clubs.

LFC should win on paper but anything can happen. This could be our only chance of silverware so Rafa should play the strongest team possible.

Game is also on ITV1 HD. Can't beat a bit of free HD footie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

monkey9 wrote: »
    All you need to know is that they're sh!t at home. They've won something like 2 matches at the Madjeski in the whole of 2009. I'm not taking anything for granted, it is the FA Cup after all, but we should end up winning this fairly comfortably in the end.

They are bad at home but results at the Madjeski have been improving lately. Think its only one defeat in the last 5 home games.

• Advertisement

Talk from Rafa is he will put out a strong enough team. In any case I think its important (and Im not being anyway patronising here) that smaller clubs and their fans are shown respect by the bigger clubs when fielding the majority of the big stars. Gate receipts are very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Talk from Rafa is he will put out a strong enough team. In any case I think its important (and Im not being anyway patronising here) that smaller clubs and their fans are shown respect by the bigger clubs when fielding the majority of the big stars. Gate receipts are very important.

Keeping our first teamers for games that matter should be more important.

The last time Torres played against Reading in the Carling Cup in the Carling Cup he got a right kicking and came off injured that day. (I think because of his ankle, which still bothers him)

I'd rather see Torres, Aqualani, Agger and Gerrard rested.

We can still put out a team capable of beating Reading without that lot.

As if by magic ....

Team for today, not sure who the goalkeeper is yet:

Darby, Carra, skrtel, Insua, Kuyt, Stevie, Lucas, Aurelio, Ngog,Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    As if by magic ....

interesting, how reliable is the source?

interesting, how reliable is the source?

Right about 95% of the time , and even then he only ever has one wrong player in an incorrect one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

As if by magic ....

If that team (with a keeper of course :P) cannot comfortably beat Reading, then we are really in trouble.

Kess73 wrote: »
    If that team (with a keeper of course :P) cannot comfortably beat Reading, then we are really in trouble.
    Can't see Rafa starting Torres. Ankle is at him at the moment. Ngog up front as a lone striker I think would be the option there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Reina, Darby, Carragher, Skrtel, Insua, Kuyt, Gerrard, Lucas, Aurelio, Ngog, Torres.

Two strikers, Darby at RB. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Woo - hoo!

4-4-2

Feeling confident already. Would have put money on Torres and Gerrard being rested.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Aquilani back on the bench i see.

• Advertisement

Subs: Cavalieri, Aquilani, Benayoun, Kyrgiakos, Babel, Spearing, Degen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Matějovský scoring for Reading.

What a goal that was iirc.

As if by magic ....

:)

As if by magic ....

Thats impressive Rosco. All I need now is a first goalscorer and scoreline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

no Pacheco in squad? *******

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

no Pacheco in squad? *******
    Was really hoping to see him today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Really looking forward to how Dave and Torres play together today.

So i take it from that team, we're playing 4-4-2. Unusual to see Torres having a partner up front. It'll be interesting to see how it works.

Really looking forward to this now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

N'Gog can hold the ball up well up front so hopefully it will compliment Torres' type of play. Looking forward to it now, glad we've a strong side out.

• Advertisement

N'gog is 9/2 to get the first goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No Aquilani again... ugh.

Better come off the bench at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I backed Reading half time, draw full time. Reading will hopefully blaze out of the blocks and then revert to form allowing Liverpool to equalise second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Madness to play Torres in this one IMO. Shows how important the cup is to Rafa this season I think.

Should in this one handily and continue the revival.

5-1 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

flahavaj wrote: »
    Madness to play Torres in this one IMO. Shows how important the cup is to Rafa this season I think.

to be honest he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't play Torres. With a week between games i think playing him is fine

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

lucas looking the brighest in the opening 10 or so

• Advertisement

to be honest he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't play Torres. With a week between games i think playing him is fine

absolutely the right thing to do 8 days until our next game last game was what 5 days ago? he doesn't need 2 weeks off, he actually needs the opposite, still needs game time and goals.

mayordenis wrote: »
    absolutely the right thing to do 8 days until our next game last game was what 5 days ago? he doesn't need 2 weeks off, he actually needs the opposite, still needs game time and goals.

Isn't he still playing through an injury?

Thats impressive Rosco. All I need now is a first goalscorer and scoreline

haha .. I didn't predict that btw, that came from a text I got from a mate in Liverpool.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Isn't he still playing through an injury?

I'm not too sure on that, but I don't think so.

Fedirici not even carded ....

• Advertisement

Insua is a superb crosser of the ball when he gets into position

mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm not too sure on that, but I don't think so.

Thought he was due for surgery but they decided that he could be managaed by just resting it properly. Not 100% sure on that though.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Insua is a superb crosser of the ball when he gets into position

It's definitely one of the better parts of his game.

If I remember correctly we've scored three or four goals this season from his crosses

Aidric wrote: »
    I backed Reading half time, draw full time. Reading will hopefully blaze out of the blocks and then revert to form allowing Liverpool to equalise second half.
    Good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Reading putting in a good show at the moment

Two nice little moves by both teams there, both should have scored really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

It's definitely one of the better parts of his game.

If I remember correctly we've scored three or four goals this season from his crosses

Only 3...

OMG

Wow... haha, good goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Reading 1 up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement