Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with names please

• 02-01-2010 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm using Learning Irish. Why is Muintir Ruarí pronounced Duarí? It should be a genitive, right? And R doesn't lenite so.......... I can't find this rule in the book.
    Also, why do they sometimes pronounce a written Seán as Seáinín, and Séamas as Séamaisín and vice versa? Are these diminutives or terms of affection that you wouldn't use, for example, if you didn't know the person well?
    Or is this just my flight of fancy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

nbrome wrote: »
    I'm using Learning Irish. Why is Muintir Ruarí pronounced Duarí? It should be a genitive, right? And R doesn't lenite so.......... I can't find this rule in the book.
    Also, why do they sometimes pronounce a written Seán as Seáinín, and Séamas as Séamaisín and vice versa? Are these diminutives or terms of affection that you wouldn't use, for example, if you didn't know the person well?
    Or is this just my flight of fancy?

Haven't heard that CD but there's no way I can think of to explain why Muintir Ruairí is pronounced with a D. Depending where the speaker is from it may sound slightly different but it's still an R. It doesn't lenite and takes absolutely no change even though it is in the genitive, older forms of the name would have slightly different spellings but when I say older, you'd be going back a long way!

As regards -ín at the end of names, it's usually a diminutive or a way of expressing affection, although sometimes it's a way of feminizing a man's name;
    Pádraigín = Patricia,
    Gearoidín = Geraldine
    Seainín = Johnny or John Beag
    Seamuisín = Jimmy or Jim Beag

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nbrome

Thanks for your reply. If anyone else has Learning Irish it's on page 33 and it's definitely Duari as far as I can make out. Connemara dialect, by the way.
    Interesting about the diminutives. I had also come across Bairbre Bheag and wondered about that. In the example I'm thinking of a woman is talking to a little girl. Would this beag/bheag only be used with children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 samhradh

hi nbrome
    cant help you with pronounciation of ruarí but i do know that conemara dialect has funny ways of pronouncing some words- eg- cluiche meaning game
    conemara people pronounce f at end but spelling doesnt change as

re bairbe bheag- would be for child - as in i know of a mother and daughter who live in gaeltacht- mother called nora, daugher nora too but family call her nora bheag! although at this stage she towers foot over the mother and is 30 years old! more term of affection sort of like nora junior in english i imagine

Advertisement