Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Periwinkles

Options
  • 02-01-2010 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi im looking to buy fresh live periwinkles by the stone in weight. Can anybody help me in locating a person in ballybunion who picks and sells periwinkles by wholesale. At this time i will offer ten euro per stone and wilk collect and pay by cash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

im presuming you eat these?
    How are they collected,can you get them yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GMobile

im presuming you eat these?
    How are they collected,can you get them yourself?

Hello, how are you,

Yeah periwinkles are to be ate, i can get them myself but not in the volume i want them as that would be too time consuming for one person, they are in the sea to be collected they stick to rocks, seaweed and can also be found in small pools of water in the sea, they are picked or harvested when the tide goes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i regularly pick them, as i adooooooore them

but it's back breaking work, and there's a lot of picking in a stone's weight of them

tbh, i'd say not many would do it for that money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Never ate em,not a fan of seafood,so im thinking i wouldnt like em.Surely they are for sale about the place,there used to be a guy in the square in tralee that used to sell them from his car,but thats years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Hey there, DO NOT eat periwinkles at this time of year. Season for these is from St. Patricks Day until end of September. You'll not get them fres for sale anywhere that I know of until then.

Just a passenger

• Advertisement

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    Hey there, DO NOT eat periwinkles at this time of year. Season for these is from St. Patricks Day until end of September. You'll not get them fres for sale anywhere that I know of until then.

i pick them all year round, and cook them myslef, have never had any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

My mother came from Lahinch/Ennistymon area and they were never allowed to have periwinkles outside season. I don't know why and I sorry I can't ask her (she died 5 years back). I would go with what the elderly tell me on things like that. If you can find them go for it by all means and enjoy.:pac:

Just a passenger

Mikefitzs wrote: »
    My mother came from Lahinch/Ennistymon area and they were never allowed to have periwinkles outside season. I don't know why and I sorry I can't ask her (she died 5 years back). I would go with what the elderly tell me on things like that. If you can find them go for it by all means and enjoy.:pac:

i get mine in west kerry. granted, they're not as plentiful this time of year, but you can still get them.

i agree with you that generaly the old folks know what they're on about when it comes to stuff like that. twas my father introduced me to them and h never mentioned it.... maybe teh kerry perriwinkles are special ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EkSelence

GMobile wrote: »
    Hi im looking to buy fresh live periwinkles by the stone in weight. Can anybody help me in locating a person in ballybunion who picks and sells periwinkles by wholesale. At this time i will offer ten euro per stone and wilk collect and pay by cash
    I can get you 400 -600 kg periwinkles per week...and what means ---> by the stone in weight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

EkSelence wrote: »
    I can get you 400 -600 kg periwinkles per week...and what means ---> by the stone in weight

1 stone = 6 and a half odd kilos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Seany65

im have 25 stone worth of perwinkles availables if you are interested in buying them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Seany65

Fresh Periwinkles available to buy in the Dingle region

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 casba

i live in the ardfert area and i pick perri's so im sure if you are still intrested in buying some we can work together just get back to me and we sort something out

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

I've found them on various beaches in West Kerry, if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

how much would you get € per kg of periwinkles and how much would one person pick in one average week?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

I was in a fish shop in the south of France last week and they were selling em for €19 per kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 freimansleo

hi
    you still intrested to buy periwinkles?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

hi
    you still intrested to buy periwinkles?

I doubt he is fella, this thread is 2 years old. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I doubt he is fella, this thread is 2 years old. :)

Either that or he's now worked up a powerful appetite!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement