Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canoe trips

Options
  • 02-01-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Just wondering , has anyone canoed from Kilkenny to Thomastown , and if so , how long would it take without too much effort.Also are there any restrictions en-route apart from weirs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Never Canoed but there isnt any restrictions and you should get a nice view of Mount Juliet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Are you experienced at canoeing???

I'm a member of a canoe club in Thomastown, we paddle that stretch quite frequently. You should be quite experienced, have a lot of experience at weirs, and make sure you have proper equipment. Don't do it in high water, weirs and some rapids too dangerous. If you aren't very experienced, i'd advise going maybe from Thomastown to Inistioge, much safer without being boring. Also, I wouldn't attempt anything on any stretch of roughish water until about April, the water is too cold and too dangerous to risk it until it gets warmer.

Also, depends what speed you are going, but if you don't swim I'd say it will take you between 2 and a half and 3 hours. Its roughly 20km from start to finish.

Finally, don't start above the weirs in kilkenny, they're too dangerous, better start above the ring road bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Or just feel the fear and do ti anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Thanks for the advice thetonynator,
    I live in Ttown and have done Ttown to inistiogue a couple of times but mainly go to Clashganny for the weirs.I have no problem with weirs (I prefer them) but I find from Ttown bridge to below the hurling pitch one of the weirdest pieces of water.It has different speeds , directions and swirls every time I canoe it.
    P.S. putting one of my canoes to good use on the snow slopes.Should be in the KK people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

se conman wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice thetonynator,
    I live in Ttown and have done Ttown to inistiogue a couple of times but mainly go to Clashganny for the weirs.I have no problem with weirs (I prefer them) but I find from Ttown bridge to below the hurling pitch one of the weirdest pieces of water.It has different speeds , directions and swirls every time I canoe it.
    P.S. putting one of my canoes to good use on the snow slopes.Should be in the KK people.

Were you ever in the club here? I can pm you details for joining if you're interested . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Thanks for the offer but I only canoe as a part time hobby and mostly with family and friends.We usually spend the day in Clashganny and light up the barbies.When it comes to canoing , I am uncompeditive and a down stream paddler only.LOL

Advertisement