Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Weather mentioned on Newstalk

Options
  • 02-01-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

We got mentioned on Newstalk's Weekend Blend this morning. Apparently "we know our stuff" :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Wibbler wrote: »
    We got mentioned on Newstalk's Weekend Blend this morning. Apparently "we know our stuff" :D

it true though isnt, you guys do know your stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

a big round of applause for us all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

paraphrase but apparently you guys have a much better grasp of the forcasting than met eireann and people are coming here for their weather forcasts rather then met.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah this is silly next they'll be suggesting met eireann comes here for the real weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Wibbler wrote: »

Well you all do I always check here first for weather its is nearly always accurate Keep up the good work :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah this is silly next they'll be suggesting met eireann comes here for the real weather

but the met eireann people do come here and adjust their forecasts accordingly:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Especially in weather like this, I'd say more people get their weather forecasts from boards.ie than the met eireann website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Boards like this are more current than the met can be. Unless they open their own discussion board.

This forum is like realtime weather reports from lots of different people + more 'educated' observations from a handful of posters based on model data etc.

That makes it useful in a different way to met eireann.

The latter bit though - forecasting - that's going to be difficult to get accurate no matter who you are. I suppose at least here you can see arguments and counter arguments about interpretation of the models, whereas with the met you just see the final 'decision' so to speak. The met's forecast necessarily need to be simple and ideally 'this is how it'll be', but here you can present a number of alternate possibilities. That makes the met's job more difficult perhaps since they're expect to have correct simple and definitive answers, but the way boardies do it - a group of people hashing out data and arguing about likelihoods - is probably closer to the truth of what happens in forecasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I love coming here, with live weather updates, forecasts showing where the opinion on the weather is coming from, the general discussion, the real life consequences of the weather, the knowledge on what causes weather events.
    It is not a closed shop to just who knows what such a thing means, everyone is welcomed to discuss it.

Met Eireann gives its forecast, it doesn't have the options of what might happen, they go with the most likely outcome, here there is the discussion on all that could happen and that is good.
    It makes it one of the great forums around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

lol great minds think alike, thinking the same thing at the same time, LookingFor, you are just a faster typer than I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The ultimate triumph for Boards.ie Weather would be for one of the Met Eireann forecasters to give us an aul mention on their TV or radio forecasts. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Not surprised at this, I always have a look here first, then met.ie
    Congrats to the contributors here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The ultimate triumph for Boards.ie Weather would be for one of the Met Eireann forecasters to give us an aul mention on their TV or radio forecasts. :p

I always thought of this happening, Would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

baraca wrote: »
    I always thought of this happening, Would be great!

snap. i was just thinking that too while watching the 9:30pm forecast:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Gerald Flemming always gave us the wink after the forecast, these newbies have too little respect for boards.ie! ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Lads, you've forgotten one critical ingredient of the mix................MT Cranium......my every morning weather-caster!

cocktail.gif

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement