Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City V The Crescent SC....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

Raiser wrote: »
    Phog your query on when the People of Limerick expressed a clear and overwhelming preference for the Crescent can be answered by by your other point relating to the traffic levels - What could be a clearer expression of support than shunning Limerick City and frequenting the Crescent by the hundreds of thousands?

To be honest that's just plain silly, how you read traffic volumes into support for a planning application is beyond me. There is even a possibility that people will get fed up waiting to enter or exit the place if the congest it anymore with additional buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Why not encourage small traders like the english market in cork,we dont need more uk souless chain stores

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

I don't care if my supermarket has a soul, or is British (or German, or anything else for that matter). Cheap goods and long opening hours are what I want. The exception to that would be my local butcher, supermarket meat is ridiculously expensive for the quality you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I don't mean to be short with you but it's pretty clear you've no real interest in the topic in a larger sense. A city is more than just shops. It's supposedly the focus of the wider community, it should have offices, parks, theatres, apartments, pubs, restaurants, brothels, schools, galleries, colleges and a host of other amenities. Limerick city should be the focal point of the entire midwest.

Uh no, brothels add nothing to a city except for the suppresion of female sexuality and the continued oppression and commodification of our bodies. However, I do agree with the sentiment behind your post.

One thing I've really noticed about Limerick is the lack of late night comfy coffee shops in the city centre. One of the main reasons I go into Dublin city when Im up there is to read a good book,relax or meet freinds wth a nce mug of Hot chocolate. Since Java's has gone there is no where nice to sit and have a coffee. This mean that for me Limerick is know soley about retail shopping and pubs,it seems to have completely lost its soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

panda100 wrote: »
    Uh no, brothels add nothing to a city except for the suppresion of female sexuality and the continued oppression and commodification of our bodies. However, I do agree with the sentiment behind your post.

One thing I've really noticed about Limerick is the lack of late night comfy coffee shops in the city centre. One of the main reasons I go into Dublin city when Im up there is to read a good book,relax or meet freinds wth a nce mug of Hot chocolate. Since Java's has gone there is no where nice to sit and have a coffee. This mean that for me Limerick is know soley about retail shopping and pubs,it seems to have completely lost its soul.

I was sure you would have known I was joking about the brothels. My point is a city is more than just shops.

If one was to rebuild Limerick city centre it would be very different. I'd love to knock Todds and give Limerick a proper city centre square with cafes, pubs and restaurants facing it. Relocate Brown Thomas to somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Why not encourage small traders like the english market in cork,we dont need more uk souless chain stores

The Milk Market is undergoing development that will hopefully make it something similar to the English market in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Not everybody can/wants to drive across the city to the CSS. If you don't drive and live at the other side of the city then it is a pain in the hole to shop in the Crescent.

Also not every retailer is rolling in cash and driving a 7 series like some people in this thread are suggesting. Some of the notions people have about business owners are ludicrous and just indicate the bitter small town mentality that blights this country. The amount of people who assume that just because you have a business that you are automatically a millionaire sitting at home wiping your ass with wads of cash is baffling. FYI lots of business owners are in severe financial difficulty, with a lot of them just about breaking even and some even operating at a loss. Every penny that goes into the till does not automatically transfer to their pocket like some idiots seem to think. Most business owners have crippling overheads - wages, rent, rates, electricity, refuse etc. It is no coincidence that the city council have yet to receive all the rates this year - businesses can't afford to pay them!

On the rates issue did you know that they use the same method to calculate a businesses rates in the city centre as they do for a business on the outskirts. There is no allowance for the fact that the business on the outskirts is not exposed to the same passing traffic/footfall as the business on O'Connell Street. Also do you think it is fair that a small independent Irish business has their rates calculated in the same way as an English Chain Store like Boots or Next?

The council need to radically revise the rates system as at the moment it is grossly unfair to small independent Irish businesses. Which is why they are closing left, right and center.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Crescent is like a Travellers Utopia, its a Mecca for anyone with a horn for their Cousin and a silk waistcoat with slip on shoes!!! Not really many Limerick Scumbags there though, especially when you compare it to Limerick City where daylight robbery is more than just a throwaway expression.
    - Should I for some reason be delighted and relieved that Limerick City or Ennis or Nenagh is packed with People out shopping for iPods and Ugg Boots?

Well while I do appreciate and recognise the fact that you happen to have a certain elevated viewpoint based on a bibliography that almost matches Amazons product catalogue I really wouldn't give you any credit for such a cop out.
    Keep going - you're certainly well on the way to driving me to it!!!

- You've everything so backwards that at a guess I'd say when you go to the Cinema you sit facing the Projectionist!!!!

Raiser, while I'm sure you're a lovely person, the more posts I read from you the more ignorant, embittered and just generally unpleasant you appear to be.

I find myself hoping against my better nature that your shopping experiences become even more dissatisfying.

Probably because I'd nearly wager it would have the opposite effect on most peoples'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

Look at the size of Limerick city, small, and yet we have more retail and shopping centres than any other city of its size..probably in europe!

this was in the irish times, this sums up Limerick perfectly

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/1130/1224259710208.html

I'm quite saddened to see the Irish Times use the phrase "recession-tastic".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

its better than stab city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

phog wrote: »
    Like any other Irish city really. BTW, the tracksuits can be seen in the Crescent too :eek:
    Way more lowlifes in the city centre, way way more. Sure there's a few visible in the Crescent too but they're generally vastly outnumbered by normal folk. I'd shop in the Crescent any day over the City. There's feck all decent shops in the city centre anwway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

grenache wrote: »
    Way more lowlifes in the city centre, way way more. Sure there's a few visible in the Crescent too but they're generally vastly outnumbered by normal folk. I'd shop in the Crescent any day over the City. There's feck all decent shops in the city centre anwway.

What do you consider a decent shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Limerick city is sad looking and no doubt could do with a serious face lift.

If I remember correctly one of the reasons city council turned down marks and sparks in the crescent is that it wanted it in the city centre on bedford row (unit where they found that old church), among other problems of building onto the crescent and traffic issues.

For what ever reason, M&S would not take that city centre space.

Parking in the city is terrible -absolutely terrible and at an extortionate price. I find it very hard to justify going to the city centre now.

I am really really looking forward to the renovation on the milk market. I only hope when it is done that it is not neglected and advertised appropriately. I find limerick terrible for advertising things. No signs. No enticing. Parking around there is impossible also so may detract from customers.

Henry street I think is a great success.

We need cobbled streets too up near the top of o connell street. I think little features like this with the new buildings would be fabulous.

That space is nowhere near big enough for M&S! Plus they would need car park next to it.

I love the facelift of the Bank of Ireland though!

That space is nowhere near big enough for M&S! Plus they would need car park next to it.

I love the facelift of the Bank of Ireland though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

dellas1979 wrote: »

If I remember correctly one of the reasons city council turned down marks and sparks in the crescent is that it wanted it in the city centre on bedford row (unit where they found that old church), among other problems of building onto the crescent and traffic issues.

For what ever reason, M&S would not take that city centre space.
    I don't think this is true. As far as I'm aware M&S were to be tenants in the new Opera centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 macca 1

Although it's not referred to in this thread much, I feel people are intimidated by the sheer number of scumbags hanging round the city, particularly at the weekend. I'm by no means a shrinking violet, 6'2" & 14 stone, but I was in town over christmas & was constantly checking behind me while walking up cruises st. I go out in town frequently on weekend nights, never had any hassle & never feel threatened, but if these daytime animals came at you en masse you might take 2 or 3 down only to fall victim to the rest of 'em. A bit 'off topic' I know but it's certainly relevant since a lot of people I talk to say the same. A more obvious Garda prescence would undoubtedly make a difference, people won't go somewhere where they don't feel safe. Incidentally I live in Clare, & drive through the city to shop in the crescent every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

What do you consider a decent shop?
    A decent mens clothes shop like Next! I also like shopping in Shaws if i want some budget clothes that won't shrink after one wash, unlike the stuff Pennys in town sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

keane2097 wrote: »
    Raiser, while I'm sure you're a lovely person, the more posts I read from you the more ignorant, embittered and just generally unpleasant you appear to be.

I find myself hoping against my better nature that your shopping experiences become even more dissatisfying.

Probably because I'd nearly wager it would have the opposite effect on most peoples'.

Keane I'm far from being a lovely Person - am just developing my enemies list :D

- From all the quotes you've provided explaining your disapproval of me am I to conclude that you are an Ugg boot-wearing, iPhone using Traveller who is head over heels for Kranks Korner and da cuzzin?!?!?!?

P.S. Fixed your size problem for you.....

macca 1 wrote: »
    Although it's not referred to in this thread much, I feel people are intimidated by the sheer number of scumbags hanging round the city, particularly at the weekend. I'm by no means a shrinking violet, 6'2" & 14 stone, but I was in town over christmas & was constantly checking behind me while walking up cruises st. I go out in town frequently on weekend nights, never had any hassle & never feel threatened, but if these daytime animals came at you en masse you might take 2 or 3 down only to fall victim to the rest of 'em. A bit 'off topic' I know but it's certainly relevant since a lot of people I talk to say the same. A more obvious Garda prescence would undoubtedly make a difference, people won't go somewhere where they don't feel safe. Incidentally I live in Clare, & drive through the city to shop in the crescent every week.

Let me give this as an example - No Limerick Garda could in all sincerity, decency or honesty turn to a Family Member and say that his 18 year old Nephew Joe Bloggs is in any way safe while out in Limerick City between the hours of say 8pm and 3am.

- Although I will add that seeing as most Limerick Gardaí have never seen Limerick City Centre after dark then it might confuse the issue for them......

Its a lawless survival of the fittest on those streets - If I had an 18 year old Son out on that Town I wouldn't sleep until I heard the front door close after them and thats based on almost 20 years of observation first hand.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    A decent mens clothes shop like Next! I also like shopping in Shaws if i want some budget clothes that won't shrink after one wash, unlike the stuff Pennys in town sell.

Not knowing your budget or tastes but in Limerick City centre you have

Diesel
    Jack Jones
    BT
    Leonards
    Sextons
    Tony Connollys x 5
    Debenhams

Sorry no Shaws.

Raiser, give one practical solution

I've spent many years walking in Limerick, day and night, sober and utterly drunk (usually not drunk during the day mind!) and I've never...NEVER...had a problem. I'm not someone who looks intimidating and so avoids trouble and I don't deny there are problems in the city (as in all cities). However, I don't think it's as bad as some people make out. I'm not THAT lucky am I?

concussion wrote: »
    I've spent many years walking in Limerick, day and night, sober and utterly drunk (usually not drunk during the day mind!) and I've never...NEVER...had a problem. I'm not someone who looks intimidating and so avoids trouble and I don't deny there are problems in the city (as in all cities). However, I don't think it's as bad as some people make out. I'm not THAT lucky am I?

Same as, maybe I just don't look worth mugging. Admittedly, I'm not hanging around the Island field or southill all the time, but I've never had hassle in any of the estates either. I guess I'm not the nervous or panicky type.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Not knowing your budget or tastes but in Limerick City centre you have

Diesel
    Jack Jones
    BT
    Leonards
    Sextons
    Tony Connollys x 5
    Debenhams

Sorry no Shaws.

Raiser, give one practical solution

Actually that store is a bit of a con as it is not the Diesel clothing brand, it is a company that registered the name, Diesel, in Ireland as a retail brand and sells clothing that are not the Italian brand. But they are not shy at charging a similar price for the clothing there as most people seem to think they are buying clothing from the Italian company.

The real Diesel company have no stores in Ireland.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Actually that store is a bit of a con as it is not the Diesel clothing brand, it is a company that registered the name, Diesel, in Ireland as a retail brand and sells clothing that are not the Italian brand. But they are not shy at charging a similar price for the clothing there as most people seem to think they are buying clothing from the Italian company.

The real Diesel company have no stores in Ireland.

I find it hard to believe that a company of the calibre of Diesel with an international reputation to protect would accept the above situation. Nor would the Consumer Agency condone the duping of the Irish public.

I find it hard to believe that a company of the calibre of Diesel with an international reputation to protect would accept the above situation. Nor would the Consumer Agency condone the duping of the Irish public.

Fraid he's right. They stole the name years back and Diesel failed to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

Fraid he's right. They stole the name years back and Diesel failed to stop them.
    You'd have to be absolutely clueless about fashion if you couldn't tell the difference between the real Italian Diesel and the Irish one. The Irish Diesel is clothing made for chavs, it's hideous and poor quality. The Italian Diesel is on a different planet altogether, is far better quality and costs twice as much. There is no comparison at all apart from the name. It's like comparing Penny's to Brown Thomas.

You'd have to be absolutely clueless about fashion if you couldn't tell the difference between the real Italian Diesel and the Irish one. The Irish Diesel is clothing made for chavs, it's hideous and poor quality. The Italian Diesel is on a different planet altogether, is far better quality and costs twice as much. There is no comparison at all apart from the name. It's like comparing Penny's to Brown Thomas.

I prefer taste to fashion. Whether Diesel is Irish or Italian means nothing to me, nor indeed does the price differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I prefer taste to fashion. Whether Diesel is Irish or Italian means nothing to me, nor indeed does the price differential.

Name me a High Street, High Fashion, "High Quality" Brand that is not made in China by 8 year olds.......

- Also, show me someone with a penchant for the overpriced tack on hangers, rails and shelves in the utter eyesore that is Limericks ugliest building and I'll show you a Shopper with a full wallet and an empty head that enjoys getting fleeced by BTs orange-faced Lim-rock Oompa Loompas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

Name me a High Street, High Fashion, "High Quality" Brand that is not made in China by 8 year olds.......
    All the top brands (clothing/footwear) are in the top factories in China. These factories are not sweat shops with 8 year olds, they're top quality and every brand/company would have their own team in the factories over-seeing quality control etc. All the design and material sourcing is done in say Europe/USA, and the manufacturing then in Asia. You're perception of China is a bit unfair and outdated. It's about the quality of the material and quality of manufacturing. Diesel Italia would be in a top factory, Diesel Ireland is most definately in a s***e one that doesn't even make the clothes exclusively for them, save for plastering their logo on the garments. That's the difference.
    - Also, show me someone with a penchant for the overpriced tack on hangers, rails and shelves in the utter eyesore that is Limericks ugliest building and I'll show you a Shopper with a full wallet and an empty head that enjoys getting fleeced by BTs orange-faced Lim-rock Oompa Loompas
    Agree about BT, never buy anything there or hardly even enter the place. If I want Diesel or any label I'll just buy it online as online those brands are available for the same prices that average brands are selling for over here (usually at least 50% discount). BT is a total rip-off. A lot that shop there do it for the 'status' of being seen/known to shop there :rolleyes:

Advertisement