Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City V The Crescent SC....

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

Raiser you come across as a very angry person. Relax a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser you come across as a very angry person. Relax a bit.

I will only get concerned if I hear that his surname is Banner. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Not knowing your budget or tastes but in Limerick City centre you have

Diesel
    Jack Jones
    BT
    Leonards
    Sextons
    Tony Connollys x 5
    Debenhams

Sorry no Shaws.

Raiser, give one practical solution
    I would shop in Diesel and maybe Leonards if i was stuck for a suit or the Crescent didn't have my size. I won't shop in the others as Jack n Jones clothes are awful, their jean rip and their shirts shrink, TC's i find a bit expensive, Debenhams never have any staff on in the mens dept to help you out and BT is much too expensive. Having shops in the Crescent under one roof is most convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Raiser wrote: »
    Keane I'm far from being a lovely Person - am just developing my enemies list :D

- From all the quotes you've provided explaining your disapproval of me am I to conclude that you are an Ugg boot-wearing, iPhone using Traveller who is head over heels for Kranks Korner and da cuzzin?!?!?!?

You've a problem with travellers, people who wear ugg-boots, people who use iPhones - what else is there?

I think you're just one of these people who thinks they're great and anyone that deviates from their view of what constitutes normal is to be looked down on.

Maybe you should do your shopping online and you could stick to your own company since the rest of mankind is so disappointing to you - it would probably be the best solution for everyone tbh.

keane2097 wrote: »
    You've a problem with travellers, people who wear ugg-boots, people who use iPhones - what else is there?I think you're just one of these people who thinks they're great and anyone that deviates from their view of what constitutes normal is to be looked down on.

Maybe you should do your shopping online and you could stick to your own company since the rest of mankind is so disappointing to you - it would probably be the best solution for everyone tbh.

I'm not a traveller who wears ugg boots whilst talking on my iPhone, so he has no problem with me. :D

In fairness to Raiser, he has a few rants like most of us do, but he does raise (pun intended:)) some good points at times too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

We could make our city centre more attractive if everyone contributed something to make a difference to the city. Saying hello to people (limerick people are friendly i must say) LIke picking up your rubbish. Cleaning your shopfronts. Investing in your buessiness. Repairng your shopfronts. Do something positive, say somthing positive. Plant trees. Make a stand and sign petitition againsts both the city and county coucil for them to start woking to unify the ctiy. Shop in Limerick city, there is more than enough in Limerick city. Limerick has a nice city feel to it and it's improving all the time. Give your ideas of what you want in your city to the council. Draw a plan that you'd like to see happen. What do you want to experience in this city. It's you who decides what this city is because its you who lives in it.

A little help from everyone wouldnt go astray. I also think the Cresent can improve, the entire parking can be turned into a mutl storey gving more room to plan the the shoppiong centre better. The old malls can be made two story and Tesco in there can be expanded. You can also build a distrubuter road from Nessans road to greenfields road. Also another way of relieving the Dooradoyle road is build a distrtuber road away from the Dooradoyle estates and build an new alignment at the back of the estates where the interchange is up to Neesans road (crossing the railway) The interchange bridge can be widened to faciliate the extra traffic. (simarly whats done to Ballymount flyover which was the exact same as this interchange)

The city is improving, both can operate smootly and both can boost the city, if both councils work together and stop this terroritial complex.

The city is losing out because of this pettyniess and its about time somebody shakes the rattlesnake.

mysterious wrote: »
    We could make our city centre more attractive if everyone contributed something to make a difference in the city. Saying hello to people (limerick people are friendly i must say) LIke picking up your rubbish. Cleaning your shopfronts. Investing in your buessiness. Repaing your shopfronts. Do something positive, say somthing positive. Plant trees. Make a stand and sign petitition againsts both the city and county coucil for them to start woking to unify the ctiy. Shop in Limerick city, there is more than enough in Limerick city. Limerick has a nice city feel to it and it's improving all the time. Give your ideas of what you want in the city to the council.

A little help from everyone wouldnt go astray. I also think the Cresent can improve, the entire parking can be turned into a mutl storey gving more room to plan the the shoppiong centre better. The old malls can be made two story and Tesco in there can be expanded. You can also build a distrubuter road from Nessans road to greenfields road. Also another way of relieving the Dooradoyle road is build a distrtuber road away from the Dooradoyle estates and build an new alignment at the back of the estates where the interchange is up to Neesans road (crossing the railway) The interchange bridge can be widened to faciliate the extra traffic. (simarly whats done to Ballymount flyover which was the exact same as this interchange)

The city is improving, both can operate smootly and both can boost the city, if both councils work together and stop this terroritial complex.

The city is losing out because of this pettyniess and its about time somebody shakes the rattlesnake.

The extra level at the Crescent was looked into before, it was recommended against due to the site being unsuitable for the extra weight if memory serves right. It could only be done if the current building was levelled totally and new foundations etc were built from scratch.

I do agree that there are too many chiefs and not enough indians when it comes to the decision makers for Limerick city/county.

Kess73 wrote: »
    The extra level at the Crescent was looked into before, it was recommended against due to the site being unsuitable for the extra weight if memory serves right. It could only be done if the current building was levelled totally and new foundations etc were built from scratch.

I do agree that there are too many chiefs and not enough indians when it comes to the decision makers for Limerick city/county.

Well the city mall can be leveled, There is a lot of potential there and its not to disruptive as the city end is mostly the orignal tenants such as Shaws, Pennys and Tesco. These are very outdate incomparison to the other parts of the S.C. I think it would work really well. I'm very surprised how small the Tesco is, it should be at least twice the size for the amount of people who use it. The Crescent attracts shoppers from Cork and Galway believe it or not. But the Cresent is falling behind because Galway and Cork have been improveing their stoers in its metro area.

They could do it in stages, like they did with the exstension. Anyhow its not rocket science to extend the S.C and still improve the traffic situation.

They don't need to make a slip at the interchange. They could simply build a two lane road beside the railway from Greenhils road via neesans road onto the Dock road. The Dooradoyle interchange could be widened and the a proper realigned road could be built to the Cresent without having to go to the Dooradoyle estates. i really dont like the idea of all the traffic from the bypass going onto an estate road and turning right to get back onto the Dooradoyle road.

Anyway the leveling of the city end is still on the agenda. They will get permission for that as the old mall is very outdate and its not taking extra land.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What you dont know is the Tesco in the crescent is one of the biggest Tesco's in the Republic.

Also Shaws owns its space and they used to own the space where JR Fashions used to be, but sold it to the crescent - how stupid were they?

What you dont know is the Tesco in the crescent is one of the biggest Tesco's in the Republic.

Also Shaws owns its space and they used to own the space where JR Fashions used to be, but sold it to the crescent - how stupid were they?
    When did that happen, I always found Limerick tesco small.

Have you seen the Tescos in Dublin and Cork?

• Advertisement

Its also one of the busiest or so I am told from a reliable source

Its also one of the busiest or so I am told from a reliable source

Thats cause its not big enough.

That makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

keane2097 wrote: »
    You've a problem with travellers, people who wear ugg-boots, people who use iPhones - what else is there?

I think you're just one of these people who thinks they're great and anyone that deviates from their view of what constitutes normal is to be looked down on.

Keane relax - I sincerely apologise if I offended you; I enjoy a good debate on here but I really don't mean it to be at anyones expense - the Travellers in Ugg boots on iPhones was a joke for Gods sake (?) :eek:
    Kess73 wrote: »
    I'm not a traveller who wears ugg boots whilst talking on my iPhone, so he has no problem with me. :D

In fairness to Raiser, he has a few rants like most of us do, but he does raise (pun intended:)) some good points at times too.

Thanks Kess - Yeah, I'm a bit of a lost cause at times I'll admit it........

Keane relax - I sincerely apologise if I offended you; I enjoy a good debate on here but I really don't mean it to be at anyones expense - the Travellers in Ugg boots on iPhones was a joke for Gods sake (?) :eek:

Thanks Kess - Yeah, I'm a bit of a lost cause at times I'll admit it........

No worse than I am. :D

Not sure if two lost causes make things any better though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

That must have been a long time ago or shortly after it was built. I know JR and he never rented from Shaws, and he was in the centre for about 25 years.
    Well the city mall can be leveled, There is a lot of potential there and its not to disruptive as the city end is mostly the orignal tenants such as Shaws, Pennys and Tesco. These are very outdate incomparison to the other parts of the S.C. I think it would work really well. I'm very surprised how small the Tesco is, it should be at least twice the size for the amount of people who use it. The Crescent attracts shoppers from Cork and Galway believe it or not. But the Cresent is falling behind because Galway and Cork have been improveing their stoers in its metro area.

They could do it in stages, like they did with the exstension. Anyhow its not rocket science to extend the S.C and still improve the traffic situation.

They don't need to make a slip at the interchange. They could simply build a two lane road beside the railway from Greenhils road via neesans road onto the Dock road. The Dooradoyle interchange could be widened and the a proper realigned road could be built to the Cresent without having to go to the Dooradoyle estates. i really dont like the idea of all the traffic from the bypass going onto an estate road and turning right to get back onto the Dooradoyle road.

Anyway the leveling of the city end is still on the agenda. They will get permission for that as the old mall is very outdate and its not taking extra land.
    If you're including Shaws it's the Dooradoyle Mall and City Mall then. If by 'city end' you mean all the old malls including Shannon Mall, and they're planning on levelling the entire City end?? Not a hope that's going to happen. I've never heard that before and I'm working there for years. How do you know this if you don't mind me asking? I couldn't see what the Crescent could propose to do with all the retailers in those malls who all have long term leases during the levelling/rebuild. Would cost an absolute fortune in compensation payments so I could not see it happening. They'd either have to buy up all the leases, which the retailers wouldn't have to agree to anyway (and some definitely wouldn't), and in that case, they'd have to compensate them for loss of earnings during the rebuild and then cater for them in the rebuilt malls by continuing their lease agreement. Would make no financial sense. The demand isn't there for it at the moment anyway.

Yep happened ages ago and shaws even occupied that spot where JR's was.

Why would they level the city end (old part) after refurbing that part of it?

Well the Wilton is a shopping centre largley simalar to the Cresent but on a smaller site has expanded and is still smaller than the crescent, but they have plans to know the old parts and make it three levels.

Limerick is going to lose out otherwise.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Well the Wilton is a shopping centre largley simalar to the Cresent but on a smaller site has expanded and is still smaller than the crescent, but they have plans to know the old parts and make it three levels.

Limerick is going to lose out otherwise.:cool:

:confused:

- Hows that hangover suiting you today Mysterious????

• Registered Users Posts: 34 onlinemonkey

AFAIK they cant build up, something due to the land/foundations. Found that when the new part was being built way back in 00/01 when working in TESCO
    The foundations may be crap but that wouldnt prevent them from building up(its just more expensive). Its probably to do with hight restrictions in a residential aera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

The foundations may be crap but that wouldnt prevent them from building up(its just more expensive). Its probably to do with hight restrictions in a residential aera

Height restrictions? Have you not seen that monstrosity of a bridge over the bypass and that's a hell of a lot closer to the residential area than the SC.

phog wrote: »
    Height restrictions? Have you not seen that monstrosity of a bridge over the bypass and that's a hell of a lot closer to the residential area than the SC.
    Your right but Id bet that there was a bit of a blind eye turned to the height of that bridge when it was being pushed through planing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

lads - speaking of monstrosities - have ye not noticed that complete eyesore - 3 or 4 levels high (if not more) the belongs to the Limerick Co. Co. right beside the shopping centre and then that garish green motor tax office - you can bet yer sweet bippies that the residential area that they were being put into was not even considered when they were in the planning stages!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I swear Penny's in the Cresent hasn't changed a bit since the 70s, its like going back in time shopping in there.

LB6 wrote: »
    lads - speaking of monstrosities - have ye not noticed that complete eyesore - 3 or 4 levels high (if not more) the belongs to the Limerick Co. Co. right beside the shopping centre and then that garish green motor tax office - you can bet yer sweet bippies that the residential area that they were being put into was not even considered when they were in the planning stages!
    Im frightened to admit that I actually like the co co office, (not the motor tax one though). I think its funny that after all the money spent on the design they couldnt have figured a way to keep the glass free of bird crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

It's not just Limerick city v. Limerick County that's the problem here, it's all the local authorities involved. If you look at Ireland, Limerick county is not an especially attractive place, but it's surrounded by places of massive natural beauty, Kerry, Clare and North Tipp (particularly out by Lough Derg) can compare to anwhere in Ireland in terms of beauty. All the relevant authorities should get together and ask "how can we maximise this region?" Instead they seem intent on going it alone. Give me back the Kingdom of Thomond anyday of the week over this intercounty nonsense...
    As a Person who Live in County Limerick and , who shop in all the areas mentioned in Limerick city and County and shopped and have travelled in cities around the world. I have to say I hate the traffic in Limerick City & County. I also hate the Traffic Light at the Library at the Crescent shopping centre. That Entrance needs to be closed off or a roundabout be put in place and a one way Traffic fully installed around the Crescent Shopping centre to ease the flow of Traffic around it. and at the main Entrance at the County offices a Roundabout be put in place. A Garda on Duty there proves that the system is not working on heavy volumes of Traffic.

The City and Suburbs need a better public Transport Planning. They have the buses and the personell they need.
    1/. Better ticket system for ease of use and better frequency out to the suburbs and have Park and Ride system in Raheen Buisness park similar to the Red Cow/ Luas.
    Get rid of the money exchanging hands with the bus drivers (Good Safety point, Bus Drivers should Drive not handle money) and put in ticket machine purchase within the bus and at major bus stops, have a similar system like Rome, with single, hourly, daily, weekly, monthly ticket for unlimited Travel for any directions of length of Travel .Have inspectors similiar to Rome with heavy fines for Passengers for not having a valid Ticket. Make sure the price is right or else the system falls.
    2/. Full GPS Tracking of all buses and to have this information available for bus Users to see from their homes/mobiles via bluetooth/Internet when a buses is arriving. Have a system to see if Customers intend to use the bus to give feedback to Bus transport Planners to plan extra buses for Certain Routes.
    3/. For Matches in Thomond Park/Gaelic Grounds have Park & Ride from Raheen Business Park/ Annacotty/ Castletroy/ Ballysimon/Coonagh to Thomond/Gaelic Grounds. Allow people better options for Ease of Travel to and From the Stadium or other venues. Also Public Travel to/from Shannon Airport. Improve the city Transport planning and interconnect with ease for Shannon Airport/Industrial Transport and allow people ease of view of options available to them and people will use it more.

I also got turn off travelling into the city for going out. Waiting for buses in the evening is ridiculous. On a cold wet evening waiting for a bus that is constantly late and is Far greater than 40 mins is poor service and then have two buses travelling on the same route is poor service.
    Raiser wrote:
    that People shop based on convenience, preference and availability of the products they want or need.

I also agree with Raiser, The City Rates and Rents are far too high which have a knock on effect on the cost of products in which the customers vote with their feet, for convenience and availability of products, and that why it is important that we have better transport within the city for ease of travel in and out of the city.

Also we need the Gardai punishing people for bad driving within the city, taking up two lanes, driving on cycle paths, Speeding/ Driving too slow, pulling out with too little time causing unexpected braking. People holding up long lanes of traffic should be punish as much as those who speed. All these people are responsible for poor traffic flows.

Also for Safetly and emergencies planning that for It should be easier to get out rather than get in to the City/Town.

Everybody involve need to get their act together to improve our City and Counties. I agree that all of the Councils and Various Agencies and Transport needs to come together for Mid West Planning. We Have the Technology to do this, we do not need much money for Park and Ride Facilitates and cut out the crap with City and County bulsh*t argument or else we be still in the same mess we are in today in 20 years time and nothing gets done. The need for boundaries extension so they can get extra funding from the Government. Change those Government Rules to regions get funding rather for infrastructure than councils. boundaries extension should be put to a vote by those who are effected, not government decisions. Major planning should be taken out of the hands of the Councils, there is too much disjointed thinking and County councillor have their own addenda. Cut the Council sizes and put in regional bodies comprises with Industries, Business leaders, TD's and Council members who are voted in for regional planning with and agenda for Major Infrastructures, Roads, Transport, Major Industrial locations, Water,Waste/Energy management. There is too many Council created bodies out there and should be joined up. Some Councils are better than other in planning and they should put forward their expertise to the new body.

:confused:

- Hows that hangover suiting you today Mysterious????

No idea what your rambling about.

philstar wrote: »
    I swear Penny's in the Cresent hasn't changed a bit since the 70s, its like going back in time shopping in there.

Can they knock the pennys entrance section. Or at least come up with some way to build up and free up more land around the shopping centre for other creative pursuits, car parking and proper infrastructure to be provided.

That old mall section is really outdated in comparison to the Dooradoyle end.

How is it outdated when they renovated the whole lot!

• Advertisement
Advertisement