Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build for brother

Options
  • 02-01-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭

So,my brother wants his first computer and I'm going to build him one.He loves the GTS250 so that will be the graphics card (I did try talking him out but he's not listening) he wants the EVGA model so no worries about warranty etc.

I'm thinking of going with the Antec 300,looks like a good,cheap case.I'll probably get a nice 120mm for the front,and leave the stock fans in the rear and top.

Its going to use my E2200 so I'll get a half decent (again not too much money spent)
    P45 motherboard

I'll be dropping in quite a few of my own parts in to save money,and because I have quite a bit of lower end stuff (He has to learn to start somewhere),but it's hardly the worst gear ever.Coming from me are :

Intel E2200
    Corsair HX450
    Samsung S166 160 HDD

So,that will be his build,unless he doesn't like the A300.I don't think there's anything wrong with it,although I would drop in a different GPU,there's no talking him out of it.

Good build methinks,for a starter :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Its not bad
    How much is he getting the GTS250 for ?

Either of these are better, and might be the same-ish price
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2719635/art/pixmania/radeon-hd4890-1-gb-ddr5-p.html
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4180029/art/asus/radeon-hd-5770-v2-1-gb-gd.html

Prob could get them cheaper if u look around.

Also the CPU is not that good, but as its for free he should be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Its not bad
    How much is he getting the GTS250 for ?

Either of these are better, and might be the same-ish price
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2719635/art/pixmania/radeon-hd4890-1-gb-ddr5-p.html
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4180029/art/asus/radeon-hd-5770-v2-1-gb-gd.html

Prob could get them cheaper if u look around.

Also the CPU is not that good, but as its for free he should be happy.

Getting the GTS for €100,it really is only to start him off,he can save up if he wants a higher end card.I want to start him off on something low end so he will appreciate it when he upgrades,also its cheap gear for him to cut his teeth on :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Given how much the HD4770 and HD5750 cost, the less efficient GTS250's price makes me wince... cringe.gif Foolish, foolish boy... ugone2far.gif

I wouldn't blow much money on a P45 or expensive DDR2... and the A300 is the highest case I'd go for. I'd even think about dropping to a CM330 or A200 if he's not overclocking the stones off that E2200 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Deano12345 wrote: »
    GTS for €100

That much for a recycled 9800gtx... is he getting it from Brown Thomas?

Solitaire wrote: »
    Given how much the HD4770 and HD5750 cost, the less efficient GTS250's price makes me wince... cringe.gif Foolish, foolish boy... ugone2far.gif

I wouldn't blow much money on a P45 or expensive DDR2... and the A300 is the highest case I'd go for. I'd even think about dropping to a CM330 or A200 if he's not overclocking the stones off that E2200 :o

He's 11,you try talking an 11 year old out of something they like....believe me I tried to steer him towards a 57xx card but he was having none of it

And €100 isn't bad for a still very capable GPU,the 250 is not a direct rebrand of the 9800GTX completely different PCB and die shrink to 55nm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

And IIRC its clocked higher... its not rotten, just a bit lacklustre for its price. I don't think we'll comment on future-proofing with this build :o

Speaking of which... IMHO a cheapie P35/P43 should be fine for a mobo so long as you stay under €60; given we're not talking about heavy-duty I/O or futureproofing you could even cheap out and get a naff lil' G31/41 :P And I'd think about getting just 2x1GB DDR2 (PC2-667 and higher) unless you can recycle or find some mad deal...

And what about optical drive? Recycle, buy, ignore? ;)

Under €250 with DVD:

020110.png

Bear in mind the mobo is a good model, it just has a cack chipset ;) Good for OCing on a budget and okay onboard sound to boot.

Do you also need OS or peripherals?

Solitaire wrote: »
    And IIRC its clocked higher... its not rotten, just a bit lacklustre for its price. I don't think we'll comment on future-proofing with this build :o

Speaking of which... IMHO a cheapie P35/P43 should be fine for a mobo so long as you stay under €60; given we're not talking about heavy-duty I/O or futureproofing you could even cheap out and get a naff lil' G31/41 :P And I'd think about getting just 2x1GB DDR2 (PC2-667 and higher) unless you can recycle or find some mad deal...

And what about optical drive? Recycle, buy, ignore? ;)

Under €250 with DVD:

020110.png

Bear in mind the mobo is a good model, it just has a cack chipset ;) Good for OCing on a budget and okay onboard sound to boot.

Do you also need OS or peripherals?

Peripherals no,OS yes.I'm gonna do out a proper build myself tonight.All I can say is I wish I had this when I was his age,I was on an Athlon (Skt A) with a RIVA TNT2

He's 11

Fair enough, suppose at that age GREEN means cool (as in green goblin) and RED means girlie... eeewww.

No doubt that 250 is still a capable card, just poor value... but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Fair enough, suppose at that age GREEN means cool (as in green goblin) and RED means girlie... eeewww.

No doubt that 250 is still a capable card, just poor value... but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I actually though he would have liked the racing stripe-esque design of the 5770

Bang on, or better still (and this is sadly true) get the one with original casing that was actually modelled on Batmobile. ;)

Not sure if the kids are into Batman these days though.

• Advertisement

Bang on, or better still (and this is sadly true) get the one with original casing that was actually modelled on Batmobile. ;)

Not sure if the kids are into Batman these days though.

Sorry to go OT,but 80GB of RAM,your my hero :o:D

80GB of RAM

I wish... would make a mean box for all the VM crap I'd like to run. It's only this (love it):

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/the-bates-4000/265867

The movie is brill: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0392878/

Good luck with the build. It's good to see kids going for pc gaming (the proper way) as opposed to dumb consoles (Gran Turismo fans, you're cool).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

He's 11,you try talking an 11 year old out of something they like....believe me I tried to steer him towards a 57xx card but he was having none of it

He is your little brother, do what all good older brothers do: bitch slap across the head and tell him he is a spa and he is wrong.:D

I'm sure in later years he will forgive and still love you*
    (*fear and hate is the same as love only better right?)

All joking aside: I assume you will be ensuring that he will be making this himself and will be paying some money towards this?

Did something similar with the little brothers a while and made sure they both built themselves. Made sure they payed for most of it as well bar some old hardware donated by a mate of mine that was taking up space in his room.

I made sure to tell them both from the start I would not be troubleshooting the build for them, they were on their own once it was built. They really wouldn't have learned anything otherwise.

They got a kick out of it alright, granted only one of them bothers his hole to learn more about pcs and does all the fixing, the other is too lazy. :rolleyes:

Still I got to make they got to play recent PC games and on the cheap too.

uberpixie wrote: »
    He is your little brother, do what all good older brothers do: bitch slap across the head and tell him he is a spa and he is wrong.:D

I'm sure in later years he will forgive and still love you*
    (*fear and hate is the same as love only better right?)

All joking aside: I assume you will be ensuring that he will be making this himself and will be paying some money towards this?

Did something similar with the little brothers a while and made sure they both built themselves. Made sure they payed for most of it as well bar some old hardware donated by a mate of mine that was taking up space in his room.

I made sure to tell them both from the start I would not be troubleshooting the build for them, they were on their own once it was built. They really wouldn't have learned anything otherwise.

They got a kick out of it alright, granted only one of them bothers his hole to learn more about pcs and does all the fixing, the other is too lazy. :rolleyes:

Still I got to make they got to play recent PC games and on the cheap too.

I'll try,and yes,I'll be teaching him how to do the basics like changing RAM and hard drives,its gonna be his own money too,so he's gonna be careful with it lol

Advertisement