Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigella Lawson's best book????

Options
  • 02-01-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

Anyone have any ideas as to which of Nigella Lawson's book is the best?
    I got the Rachel Allen book Bake and was very uninspired. Think her recipes are a little boring.

Also would i be best to buy it online(as in would it be cheaper!!:P)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I've only two of her books but find them brill.

Nigella Express is great the recipes are simple and you can usually find one that you can use even if your cupboards are getting empty.

I like the way there's usually a bit about the recipe first.

The other one I have is ..can't think of the name now argh think it's Feast.

Either way you can't go wrong nicely written books with some really tasty recipes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My favourite Nigella book is Feast. Rachel Allen's books never seem to be worth the price - as you say, her recipes can be boring.

I buy all my books online from Book Depository, they're really cheap and delivery is free. And they always arrive on time.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=nigella+lawson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

How to Eat is very well written. I could read it in bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I think How To Eat is brilliant. She's very good on technique and strips away a lot of the jargon other cooks use to confuse ordinary folk like myself. Thanks to her I can make a pretty decent spaghetti carbonara. Definitely worth the 20 pounds I paid for it back in the year 2000. The only thing is, and I know this is an issue for some people, there aren't pictures of the specific recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

Does it make sound stupid if i say I love to be able to see the pics.....:p I think I'll start with Feast and then get how to eat maybe! I'm going to get it on the website recommended:D as well as a few other books!!
    Am also thinking of getting the art of french cooking...

Thanks for all the feedback:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

susanroth wrote: »
    Does it make sound stupid if i say I love to be able to see the pics.....:p I think I'll start with Feast and then get how to eat maybe! I'm going to get it on the website recommended:D as well as a few other books!!
    Am also thinking of getting the art of french cooking...

Thanks for all the feedback:D

I need the pictures too, they give me further ideas about the food - it is not stupid at all! How to eat will give u the basics, Feast is, well, feast to the senses :-) Both are excellent, but my all time favourite is How to be a domestic goddess.

Happy cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Pics or diagrams would be handy, but it is daft how many cookbooks don't have them :rolleyes:

I've only done the Cuban Black Bean soup from How to Eat so far, but it came out great. It is very healthy and I was able to use it up for office lunch for a couple of days with some oatcakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

susanroth wrote: »
    Does it make sound stupid if i say I love to be able to see the pics.....:p

No not at all! I only mentioned it because after I bought it, I spent weeks extolling its virtues at work and it was only then that a colleague - a pretty decent cook himself - told me that he'd picked it up in Easons alright but he could not buy it because of his inability to follow a recipe that was not accompanied by a picture of what it should look like. I was shocked... Well, good luck: I bought Feast too a few years ago and there's a great Vodka Pasta sauce in there... Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

lots of her recipes with photos up on her website as well

http://www.nigella.com/recipe/nigella_recipes.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

'Nigella Christmas' is brilliant - just for the pictures alone....drool....!:D (and by that i mean the food haha!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I have both Feast and 'How to eat' and reckon that How to Eat is the most versatile, its got a much broader range of recipes and also is a nice read.

Does anyone else find that her recipies are a bit hit and miss - more so in Feast too - as if they are not always tested very well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Toasted Special

Check out "Feast", some great recipes in there, particularly if you like dinner parties.

Advertisement