Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused refund, now stuck with credit note!

Options
  • 02-01-2010 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, need some expert advice!
    Visited a shop In Naas. Few weeks ago (the jean scene) And bought a sweater and shirt (was in at least 45 mins and that's all I could find nice!
    However, when Mrs Gucky git home she told me the clothes I picked were very similar to my Christmas presents she had bought me, so off I head to the shop for refund!
    No refund i was told! Exchange or credit note only!
    Apparently their quite entitled to say this as the goods weren't faulty, which has got me thinking.......
    As I'm now stuck with a credit note worth just under a hundred euro, and the rest of their clothes are absolutey minging, should I get a coat or something to the value of the credit nite, take it home and make a little mark on it, or little tear, then bring back goods and get said refund?
    Anyone know if this is a tried and testedmeans of full refund?

Many thanks Gucky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Gucky wrote: »
    Hi folks, need some expert advice!
    Visited a shop In Naas. Few weeks ago (the jean scene) And bought a sweater and shirt (was in at least 45 mins and that's all I could find nice!
    However, when Mrs Gucky git home she told me the clothes I picked were very similar to my Christmas presents she had bought me, so off I head to the shop for refund!
    No refund i was told! Exchange or credit note only!
    Apparently their quite entitled to say this as the goods weren't faulty, which has got me thinking.......
    As I'm now stuck with a credit note worth just under a hundred euro, and the rest of their clothes are absolutey minging, should I get a coat or something to the value of the credit nite, take it home and make a little mark on it, or little tear, then bring back goods and get said refund?
    Anyone know if this is a tried and testedmeans of full refund?

Many thanks Gucky

What you're suggesting is.. low. Why do that? honestly. Ask yourself would you like that kind of carry on if you were the trader?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Sorry?
    I'm low because a retailer is telling me we have yer money it's in our till and it's staying there????
    I'm low because they are forcing me to spend money in their shop?

Let me tell you something, I'm in the business of selling things too, and if one of my customers returns something to me, no matter what the reason or timeframe involved, they get a refund!

Understood?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

IBTL

You are attempting fraud. UNDERSTOOD?

IBTL

You are attempting fraud. UNDERSTOOD?

And the shop?
    Should someone have mentioned their no refund policy?
    Retailers in the south, if their not charging over inflated prices, their robbing us in this manner!
    I'm off to get a nice shiny coat!

So. On your bike munster cyclist!

Understood?

If you're in the business of selling then you should know the law.

If you went into the shop with a faulty coat after you had destroyed it. They would probably just replace it for you anyway.

If you don't like a retailers refund policy then don't give them your money in the first place. Nobody forced you to spend your money anywhere. You already did and now you're unhappy with the law.

Tough.

And no, they shouldn't have mentioned their no refund policy - they don't have to IT'S THE LAW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Buyer beware, you should have checked the refund policy before you bought something. What you want to do is fraud.

The odds are they will either replace the jacket or give you back a credit note.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Take the €100 credit note, sell it for €80 and make sure you never set foot in the shop again. I will make sure I dont go there after hearing your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

what you have suggested is low, I agree.

The shop has not forced you to do anything. As a consumer, you should know you basic rights..you are not entitled to a refund because you change your mind etc etc.

As far as I know, you are not even entitled to a refund even if they item is faulty...in that case you are entitled to a repair/replacement or refund, but the law doesn't state who decides which option , so the retailer may decide to replace your 'faulty' coat with a new one.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I think Gucky is really cabaal or rubadub trolling and pretending to be a clueless fraudster ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

And the shop?
    Should someone have mentioned their no refund policy?

It was your responsibility to check their refund policy before buying the goods.

Legally, as there was nothing wrong with the goods you bought, they weren't even obliged to offer you a credit note and only did so as an offer of goodwill.

What you're suggesting is illegal and unethical. But I'm sure you know that already, so tbh I'm not really sure why you started this thread? :confused: I mean, if you're going to do it no one here can stop you. What is it you want ... someone to give you a pat on the back for your "ingenuity"? :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I hope they see right through you and refuse to take back the damaged coat.

• Advertisement

For what it's worth, I hope they see right through you and refuse to take back the damaged coat.

A little pre warning email to Jean Scene Naas perhaps ;)

If you don't like a retailers refund policy then don't give them your money in the first place. Nobody forced you to spend your money anywhere. You already did and now you're unhappy with the law.

I'm sorry, do you suffer from hard of understanding or something? How, if I don't like a refund policy do I not spend money in the first place?

How did I know anything about their refund policy, until I had RETURNED the goods for a refund?

Go to the back of the classroom and wear this hat with a D on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Also just to point out if you do try to defraud the shop (which is a really scummy thing to do) in such a way by damaging a coat - you will have paid for the coat with a credit note, so they will give you a replacement or a credit note back if you say it's faulty. They are not going to hand you cash out of the till if you didn't even pay for it in cash.

Also, anyone with an ounce of cop on should know the Sale of Goods and Supply of services act by now and take it for granted that a shop does not have to offer a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

should I get a coat or something to the value of the credit nite, take it home and make a little mark on it, or little tear, then bring back goods and get said refund?

What you're suggesting is just plain thievery and deceipt... and as a PP mentioned outright fraud.

Why should the shop be punished like this by you, just because YOU changed your mind on the clothes you purchased? No shop in the land is obliged to give a refund when it comes to changing your mind...

Anyway, what's so wrong about having a shirt and trousers SIMILAR to ones you already have? Looks like to me, you're just looking for excuses for your buyer's remorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

2nd IBTL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'm sorry, do you suffer from hard of understanding or something? How, if I don't like a refund policy do I not spend money in the first place?

How did I know anything about their refund policy, until I had RETURNED the goods for a refund?

Er..you ask before you buy. Its not that hard to do. And i agree with above posters re what you're doing is wrong. As someone said,they don't have to give you a refund if you do damage the coat.
    Getting snotty with people because no one is agreeing with you is childish.

It's YOUR responsibility to find out what the refund policy is BEFORE you make a purchase. And unless they have it outlined clearly that they offer refunds then it's very very likely that they follow the rules of THE LAW which state that you are not under any circumstances entitled to a refund (or credit note, or exchange) if you simply change your mind!

If you find that so difficult to understand, you might want to reconsider who you're calling a dunce my dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

[/quote]I'm sorry, do you suffer from hard of understanding or something? How, if I don't like a refund policy do I not spend money in the first place?

Go to the back of the classroom and wear this hat with a D on it![/quote]

Because you didn't ask them what their refund policy was before making the purchase.

Its you job to know your rights, not theirs...

A little pre warning email to Jean Scene Naas perhaps ;)

Go for it! I'm sure I'm not the only one whose pissed off by their no refund policy over Christmas!
    Theirs numerous branches in Leinster, and if they refuse EVERY damaged good a refund, I'd give them a month tops, before their business ceases to exist!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why not, you know, keep the credit note and buy something else? I highly doubt there is absolutely nothing else there that you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Sorry?
    I'm low because a retailer is telling me we have yer money it's in our till and it's staying there????
    I'm low because they are forcing me to spend money in their shop?

Let me tell you something, I'm in the business of selling things too, and if one of my customers returns something to me, no matter what the reason or timeframe involved, they get a refund!

Understood?

No, the suggestion that you're "low" is because you are asking what we think about your committing an act of fraud to get around the law.

Buyers have no comeback if they do not want the items they bought and those items were bought in person in a shop. The shop could have refused to take the goods back and offer you a credit note if they wanted to and they'd have been entirely within their rights.

You should have checked with the wife before you went shopping, you should have enquired about their refund policy before purchase. It is a case of buyer beware and because you didn't get what you thought you were entitled to you think it's all right to commit fraud?

You may be in the business of selling, and you may offer your customers refunds - you don't have to but you do. The Jean Scene don't have to, and they don't.

Make sure you get a long expiration date on the credit note, and go back when there is new stock. Or swap the credit note for €100 for two €50 credit notes and give them away for birthday presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Maybe you should have ASKED. Simple really.

Either way, you got what you deserved. You bought the goods - nothing at all wrong with them, and you changed your mind. You are not entitled to a refund, and they are being generous to give you a credit note.

If you do get a jacket and damage it (I hope they see this thread first), and they offer you a repair/replacement or another credit note (which they are entitled to do). They still don't have to give you a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

It's your obligation to know about any shop's policies before you spend money,of course most people don't do this but you still can't complain later about their policy just because you don't like it. They are well within in their legal rights to only offer an exchange or credit note and most retailers use that policy. Others will give refunds even though not legally obliged. It all depends on the store really,but as I said,before you spend money anywhere,especially on clothing items you should make yourself aware if their returns policy beforehand and not start moaning afterwards.

I also think the monkey61 is correct,if you buy the coat with a credit note (usually in the form of a gift card) they might refund you the giftcard because that is what you paid with. You didn't pay with cash the 2nd time around and they might ignore the fact that you orginally paid in cash.

And lastly I am also not sure what you were expecting from this thread. You say you are thinking of commiting fraud and when posters give a negative reaction to this (which was to be expected), you start insulting them. :rolleyes:

Go for it! I'm sure I'm not the only one whose pissed off by their no refund policy over Christmas!
    Theirs numerous branches in Leinster, and if they refuse EVERY damaged good a refund, I'd give them a month tops, before their business ceases to exist!

Maybe not, but you're probably the only one low enough to suggest committing an act of fraud to make up for your inability to make yourself aware of THE LAW* before making a purchase.

* I continue to highlight these words until you get it into your head that that's what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

You are not entitled to anything for changing your mind, the shop are actually being good enough in offering you a credit note (they don't have to).

You suggestion of damaging the goods is fraud.

They are the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Gucky, on a side note, why did you buy there in the first place? Was it the only place open?

Yeah, unfortunately if you buy something of merchandable quality i.e. fit for purpose, then unless its one of the bigger stores (like Dunnes who on occasion do this) there is no good will of a refund towards the customer.

You said your wife bought similar clothes for you, hence why you want them returned, did you try the place where your wife bought the other clothes?

And on another little side note, afaik the store legally does not even have to give you a credit note...this is their good will. For all they know you wore the clothes for a night out (hid the tags), brought them back in and now getting something new.

Edit: I see big johnny who posted at the same time backs up what I said about credit note.

Second edit: I want to point out that it is the consumers reponsibility to know returns policy. I bought a pair of earings recently for e7 with little stones on them, and before I paid I asked the girl "what are my rights if a stone falls out of these?" she pointed and read out the returns policy. That is how far I would go to know my rights...for e7.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I have in my head a radio ad running at the moment which says "you don't have to accept a credit note.." not sure of its origins but have you checked the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

BarryM wrote: »
    I have in my head a radio ad running at the moment which says "you don't have to accept a credit note.." not sure of its origins but have you checked the law?

You dont have to accept a credit note if the goods are damaged or faulty. In that case you are entitled to a full refund.

For changing your mind though you are relying on a shops goodwill. They dont even have to issue a credit note in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

BarryM wrote: »

For faulty goods. You have absolutely no legal recourse for exchange, refund, credit note of goods where you simply changed your mind.

• Advertisement

Maybe not, but you're probably the only one low enough to suggest committing an act of fraud to make up for your inability to make yourself aware of THE LAW* before making a purchase.

* I continue to highlight these words until you get it into your head that that's what it is.

My monies on you being a shopkeeper who operates one one such, rip off policy!
    For what it's worth, I'm a hard working, honest man!
    I feel I have been defrauded by a company, whom only explained their refund policy AFTERWARDS?
    Oh, and on a finishing note.
    Got present from my mum fir Christmas, shirt too big and I brought it back to Riverisland who give me a refund without a receipt!
    Also I paid for goods using visa, not cash!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement