Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused refund, now stuck with credit note!

Options
2»

Comments

BarryM wrote: »
    I have in my head a radio ad running at the moment which says "you don't have to accept a credit note.." not sure of its origins but have you checked the law?

That has nothing to do with changing your mind.

From http://www.consumerconnect.ie
    Under consumer legislation you have no right to exchange something or get a
    refund if you simply change your mind after buying the goods

Gucky wrote: »
    My monies on you being a shopkeeper who operates one one such, rip off policy!
    For what it's worth, I'm a hard working, honest man!
    I feel I have been defrauded by a company, whom only explained their refund policy AFTERWARDS?
    Oh, and on a finishing note.
    Got present from my mum fir Christmas, shirt too big and I brought it back to Riverisland who give me a refund without a receipt!
    Also I paid for goods using visa, not cash!

haha, no, I'm not a shopkeeper so you've lost even more money there honey! Just someone who knows what's what.

Honest man? Really? That's not how you're making yourself look.

See my above post. It's THE LAW.

If you are accusing a company of defrauding you, you better have good backup for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

MOD EDIT: unfounded accusation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If a shop sells you clothes and you decide you dont want them then they dont have to take them back. That is fact.

However as a show of good faith a shop can give you a credit note for there return. That is not the requirement.

If a shop sells you goods that are not of merchantable quality then they can offer you a replacement or a refund. This is the only time they cannot offer you a credit note.

Now to the op. I figure you have now made 2 journeys to the shop. To get your 100 Euro back your going to have to make another 2 the way you are preposing. This is assuming they dont replace it which they are entitled to do.

You are all free to check this out on consumer rights. I ran many businesses and I am aware of the law.

As for the business. Its bad policy and says more about the company position than its attitude to the customer. I would spend the credit note asap even if you have to spend it on the misses.I doubt the company will be there long.

ps: a company does not have to explain it returns policy because it does not have to accept them unless they are faulty and this is not company policy but consumer policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Sure, most customers feel agreived when they can't get their money back but the law is the law.

Your claim to be honest is in doubt if you commit fraud to get around a policy you don't like
    I feel I have been defrauded by a company, whom only explained their refund policy AFTERWARDS?

You might feel like you've been defrauded, but legally you haven't. They're not obliged to explain their refund policy before you buy, you're obliged to check yourself
    Got present from my mum fir Christmas, shirt too big and I brought it back to Riverisland who give me a refund without a receipt!

Your mother didn't change her mind about wanting the gift, the shirt was too big and didn't fit her. She was entitled to an exchange, refund or credit note AFAIK, and the shop's policy was to refund her.

For all you know, if you went back to TJS and told a little white lie about the goods not fitting you, their policy could have been to refund you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Are you taking the piss, you haven't been defrauded by anyone!!

If you're in the business of ''selling things'' then you should know the refund policy already, because it's LAW.

You dont have to accept a credit note if the goods are damaged or faulty. In that case you are entitled to a full refund.

This is also untrue, you are entitled to a repair/replacement or refund. Not a refund out straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

For what it's worth, I'm a ... honest man!

Well based on all your last posts of thinking about commiting fraud,that is not true.

Again as has been said so many times already on this thread,it is all your own fault. You are in no way being defrauded,you are the one thinking about commiting fraud. Most shops have their return policies in store and if they do not it is still your obligation as the consumer to find these things out before you buy. That is why they said 'buyer beware'.

You seem to want people to feel sorry for you or agree with you but legally and ethically you are very very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Yip!
    She's a rip off retailer!

And I suppose all the rest of us who replied to the thread are "rip off retailers" too? :rolleyes:

You're the only one claiming to be a retailer, yet you're the only one who seems to have absolutely no understanding of consumer law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Its not their refund policy, its the law regardless of shop or customer.

No retailer is required to give you a refund just because you changed your mind. Its your own fault for not knowing that.

Live and learn, time to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

It is often very obvious when someone returns something they damaged themselves. At the end of this i hope you are stuck with the coat. It would serve you right!

I know everyone else has said it but just to reinforce it, you are not legally entitled to a refund simply because you changed your mind, what you are proposing to do with the coat is fraud

Your mother didn't change her mind about wanting the gift, the shirt was too big and didn't fit her. She was entitled to an exchange, refund or credit note AFAIK, and the shop's policy was to refund her.

Sorry TouchingVirus, but this is also incorrect, this is the same as changing your mind, it is not the fault of the retailer if you bought a shirt that was too big.

River Island obviously have a different refund policy. It's quite simple.

I personally would never buy anything from a shop that has a no refund policy, but I ensure that I ask them what their policy is before I make the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

As I'm now stuck with a credit note worth just under a hundred euro, and the rest of their clothes are absolutey minging, should I get a coat or something to the value of the credit nite, take it home and make a little mark on it, or little tear, then bring back goods and get said refund?
    Anyone know if this is a tried and testedmeans of full refund?

They will be entitled to repair or replace the jacket if they want.

So chances are if you try this fraud you will end up with a second (carefully checked) jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

This is also untrue, you are entitled to a repair/replacement or refund. Not a refund out straight.

Sorry yes you are correct.

Yip!
    She's a rip off retailer!

Can you please provide proof of this accusation?
    Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement