Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow

• 02-01-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

what's the general consensus for biking it into work on monday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Make sure your health and vehicle insurance is up to date!
    I wouldn't risk it in these conditions unless you have spiked tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Don't.

It's possible main roads might be ok but smaller roads are too bad tbh. seen a few people walking their bikes through the estates today. I could hardly walk across some of the roads, even the bigger ones which are usually ok. The snow has turned to solid ice and cars aren't melting it driving over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I'll be biking it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I wait and see conditions improved dramatically up by me this morning, I was out on foot for a few hours, at the moment I would ride, nowever, as I said I will wait until Moday, but I had done it in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

NOT RECOMMENDED.
    I would ride in any weather, except ice.
    Ok if you have spiked tyres.http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=102727

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Weather seems to be getting worse, more snow predicted on tuesday and wednesday, guess i'm gonna stay in bed and skip college on monday :(:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

The thoughts of going back on the bus :mad: listening to some muppet's music escaping through his crappy headphones. Looking forward to the summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

reece wrote: »
    what's the general consensus for biking it into work on monday?

On a vaguely unrelated note, I'm currently reading one of the "Darwin Awards" compendiums.

Will be trying out the mountainbike in a short while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

It depends on your commute. I'll be taking a lift. Where I live all the roads are iced up. It was turning to slush yesterday, but it all froze last night and roads are letal here. If you have a big bike and it goes from under you even at slow speeds, it's easy to break a wrist or shoulder on a fall.
    But if your commute is all through well used roads it probably won't be too bad. Forecast for tonight is heavy frost -1 to -5, looks like the ice and snow isn't going anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Unless your like me and have the benefit of living directly beside a well gritted and used main road all the way in I wouldn't bother. That being said it should be pretty clear after tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

DONT

i came off last week in the snow trying to go to work

my poor tzr was ruined

got parts for it going to fix it tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Remember the salt thats added to the grit does untold damage to fastners/alloy bits on your bike, if you do venture out on the bike try and hose it down afterwards if you can - not the easiest when your thoughts are on a hot cuppa and getting warm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Monday might be the only day next week you can take the bike just check the weather page on here looks like a lot of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I will see what the raods look like in the morning.

The main roads were not bad today.

Still some very dodgy roads out there this morning, gritters doing fvck all as usual.

Take care lads.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Still some very dodgy roads out there this morning, gritters doing fvck all as usual.

Take care lads.

So, you made it into work OK.

I am sitting here wondering what traffic is like.

P.C. wrote: »
    So, you made it into work OK.

I am sitting here wondering what traffic is like.

Traffics lighter than usual from what I saw, kids aren't back in school yet AFAIK so no yummy mummys in SUV's to kill you.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Traffics lighter than usual from what I say, kids aren't back in school yet AFAIK so no yummy mummys in SUV's to kill you.

Good.
    And the sun is out. :)

Think I might see what the roads are like in a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Seen one guy heading down Nutgrove Avenue on what looked like a suzuki 1400, about half an hour ago. Braver man than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I got to work in one piece - Only dodgy moments were when I was driving in my garden and when I was parkin on the path outside work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I drove in on my bike today from Swords.A journey that normally takes me 20 - 25 mins took me 40mins.The hard part was getting out of Applewood Village and Swords.Applewood was like an ice rink and the Airside slip road on to the M1 wasn't much better.Once I got on the M1 it was fine all the way to town,
    although the outside lane on the M1 looked a bit slippery.
    Will be taking the bus tomorrow as it's not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

PWEI wrote: »
    I drove in on my bike today from Swords.A journey that normally takes me 20 - 25 mins took me 40mins.The hard part was getting out of Applewood Village and Swords.Applewood was like an ice rink and the Airside slip road on to the M1 wasn't much better.Once I got on the M1 it was fine all the way to town,
    although the outside lane on the M1 looked a bit slippery.
    Will be taking the bus tomorrow as it's not worth the risk.

finally someone from my area that drives a bike thats on this website

what you driving ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

great craic out there today on the enduro bike with motocross tires.

they cut right through the hard pack stuff with a bit of gas.

just around the estate . great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Where is the light at the end of this frozen tunnel? Dear Christ it's been some extended period of freezing weather.

Took the bike in to work today, and was okay once outside the estate but the estate road on the way in tonight, sweet Jesus sheet ice all over the place. It appeared this evening when the powder upper layer melted away. The stuff was rock solid. I put out the stabilisers and rolled on clutch only into my car park, but nervous times all the same.

Will be working from home for the next 3 days according to the forecast. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

had to abandon the bike today on the n78 got 10km into an 80km trip, couldnt turn back as the roads on the opposite side were worse. thankfully had a neighbour who turned back and got a lift.
    roads were terrible today.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Took me twenty minutes to travel 50 yards out onto the n11. I don't think I have every looked that stupid on the bike before.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Haven't been on my bike in about a month...I was up at the Plex the other night playing on one of the sit down bike games...and I was beaten...by a girl! I don't know how much longer I can take :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

jimmay wrote: »
    Haven't been on my bike in about a month...I was up at the Plex the other night playing on one of the sit down bike games...and I was beaten...by a girl! I don't know how much longer I can take :(
    OH! the humiliation... :rolleyes:

I was out in the bike today for the first time in two weeks.

Got to ride on snow. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Drove in today, was a bit ropey... feckin thing was squirming like an eel. Scary Biscuits.

Advertisement