Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

seriously its utter maddness at the moment to even think bout it,

i have a nice little CBR 125 so a really light bike and i was even doing the two feet down trick when i was caught by all de ****ty weather coming home from work seriously if the bike does to go to fall and try to steady it with your feet its that icey out that your feet will just slip and youll end up with a damaged bike and who knows maybe even a spain or a broken bone

seriously in this weather not a hope especially as kamakazi said above its a lottery at them moment with gritted roads

plus if the the motorways are suffering from the ice thats really saying something about the other roads ......der in **** order

seriously not a chance especially with what there saying that tomorrow is meant to be bad bad weather

just take the bus seriously...think bout it this way whats having to wait a few mins and pay 2euro for a few days or drive one day and run the risk of having a bad fall and being without the bike for a few weeks due to either waiting on new parts or simply cause ya broke you wrist

if i was you mate id just get the bus seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Cleared all thew snow off my bike when I got home today.

Went out and cleared it again about an hour ago.

Now it is covered in snow again. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

My bike has been tucked under its cover for the last while. I have trouble getting around in my car, theres no way in hell I'm gonna go out on a two wheel rear wheel drive thingamagig. Honest, when I see guys out in their business suits going to work at 5kph on a moped I just wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 twatts

Some people dont want to rely on public transport, each to his own,

Get some balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

twatts wrote: »

Get some balls!

That's it ye see, I have them but I don't want to lose them! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Geat first post...

and then you ruined it
    Get some balls!

I have no problem if somone wants to ride a bike in any weather.
    As for me, Saftey first.
    I want to get home safely - if that means sitting on a bus for an hour, so be it. At least I will be having fun on the bike when the weather gets better.

[ Get some balls! ]

hahahah ya might have balls now but wait till yer de one on de side of the road with the wreaked bike and only 3rd party fire n theft insurance

somehow i dont think you will be feeling that "ballsie" any longer

but saying that dont know bout rest of dublin but all round north county is pretty much grand conditions once again.........so much for the snow!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Roads seem decent, heading off to work in a minute ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Weather looks like it's set to thaw for the next couple days, 3 degree weather durin the day, and rain, wonder if i can get outta lucan on my fazer, anyone know what the roads are like near mulhuddart?

Xios wrote: »
    Weather looks like it's set to thaw for the next couple days, 3 degree weather durin the day, and rain, wonder if i can get outta lucan on my fazer, anyone know what the roads are like near mulhuddart?

I passed Lucan on the N4 this morning, roads were grand. Raining with a decent thaw, let's just hope it doesn't freeze tonight otherwise all that rain will be sheet ice :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Xios wrote: »

Seems grand Lucan -> Blanch direction then I went to the m50.

In the cage mind you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Took the bike, needed a run to charge the battery. It is good to be back on 2 wheels after a week.

Roads are fine in and around Dublin. Just need to watch out for the less used lanes which i did see had some remnants of the snow/slush/ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Ok going to bring the bike home from work been here since the great snow of Wed :p Well it started up thats a bonus!!

just went out there all round rush, skerries, lusk and swords n everywere is great bit wet but great to be finally out on de roads again

as for the cars who are still doing 40km on primary roads wtf seriously lads wud yas not realise that wet n ice are totally diff things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Take her handy. I was walking across a busy enough road in west dublin about an hour ago. The roads looked grand - just wet with slush about a foot out from the kerb. But a foot out from the slush was a layer of ice you'd hardly notice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Adding to that the grit pooling at the sides of roads and between lanes in quite bad in some places. And the potholes! Sweet jesus I missed one today by a foot that my front wheel would have fit nicely in. Council are going to have one hell of a clean up ahead of them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Definitely, the amount of grit around is incredible, this can be just as dangerous as ice. Plus the roads are going to be in a right state after all that freezing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Quint wrote: »
    Take her handy. I was walking across a busy enough road in west dublin about an hour ago. The roads looked grand - just wet with slush about a foot out from the kerb. But a foot out from the slush was a layer of ice you'd hardly notice!

Yeah, noticed the backroads westmanstown/strawberry beds were icy when I was coming back about 1900 or so. Slid the car slightly on some of the bends, but thanks to the general 20kmph granny driving ahead, didn't get too much time to test sufficiently everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A fair bit melted, but the temp has dropped for tonight. No bike riding yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I might wait until we have a good downpour myself, just to clean all the shite away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Damn thing has been stuck in the west since before christmas..... might get to drive it again some time this month. :/ Still better not to go flying off the fecking thing, Roads out here are icing pretty badly with the rain and slush water tonight so even walking on the roads / paths is dicey enough.

Roads were fine last night only bad spots was in the estate where i took it handy. Did take me 10 mins to get bike going again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Got caught out on the commute home from work last night, what an experience!

Wet roads until Kilmac in Wicklow and then nothing but snow/slush the rest of the way :eek:

Got off the bike looking like a snowman with the amount of snow stuck to me :). Wouldn't want to do that again!

Last night was one of the worst I have had between the gale force winds and Driving sleet/snow. Had to drive with lid open as could not see with it closed and then the strong wind was driving the snow into your face (painful).
    Then feckers right up your arse and due to poor enough roads along the side not really able to pull in :(

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Had to drive with lid open as could not see with it closed and then the strong wind was driving the snow into your face (painful).

Stings a bit doesn't it? :D

Last night was pretty rough alright, one of the worst I've ever ridden in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I checked the rainfall radar yesterday when leaving college, the huge band of rain and sleet was just creeping into dublin when i left, at about half 3, only get the edge of it, but still had to have the visor open cause of it fogging up :(

Radar Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nedned

yep-getting sick of this weather.came off me bandit just before xmas.took a wrong turn.hit some tractor crap.its as dangerous as black ice.i travel down
    to meath.this should be made an illegal offense to leave a road in a state.im
    going to get onto meath county council.

last monday i nearly lost it again.ice into the garage at kiltale.i drove around 25 mph for 15 miles when i notice the road freezing over.

i doubt if were out of this cold snap for long.usually end of January used to be
    freezing.some weather experts were over here.they said theres more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Be careful out there this morning lads. Roads are covered in black ice, you wont see it but it's there. Came off the bike about 7am this morning. skidded across the road but managed to keep the bike from scraping across the ground (by putting my body underneath it :p ) Important news is the bike is ok.

Wear your leathers and take it handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

Second that.

Was slidng all over the place and came across a biker across the rode who had obviously just come off the bike. Worst conditions I've drove in so far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

clown bag wrote: »
    Be careful out there this morning lads. Roads are covered in black ice, you wont see it but it's there. Came off the bike about 7am this morning. skidded across the road but managed to keep the bike from scraping across the ground (by putting my body underneath it :p ) Important news is the bike is ok.

Wear your leathers and take it handy.

Ouch! Where did it happen?

Advertisement