Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual nationality

Options
  • 02-01-2010 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

when did Ireland introduce citizenship to foreign born children of irish parents?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

when did Ireland introduce citizenship to foreign born children of irish parents?

Any person wherever born who has a grandparent born in ireland is entitled to Irish citzenship. This has been the case since 1935. Why would there have been a need to do anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Blue Jay

I was born in Canada in 1959 to Irish parents and have always had a right to Irish citizenship.
    I never went about getting it or having any documentation to prove it, despite living here since 1968, until after 9/11 - I had always travelled on a Canadian passport until then.
    Once I supplied all relevant documentation I was able to get my Irish passport : ergo proof of Irish citizenship.
    Funny thing is that in all those years of living here, working, paying tax, voting, jury duty, etc. the only ones who ever questioned me was on returning to Ireland at the airport. And then I was always given a 6 months - no working visa :) (every time I came into Ireland) - maybe they'er a bit more strict now.
    Although I know my brother still travels on his Canadian passport, so I'm not sure .;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

in 1935, to those whose father was an Irish Citizen. In the 1937 constitution, extended to either parent and re-iterated in the 1956 Citizenship Act.

Grandparents are not specifically mentioned in the legislation but are a by product i.e. for a grandchild to apply, one of the parents Irish citizenship must first be established via the foreign born section of the acts, the grandchild then in turn being the foreign born child of an Irish citizen.

There are some limitations re dates and ages which makes it difficult to claim citizenship via an Irish born great grandparent.

First Irish Free State passports were issued in December 1924, the holders being notional "Imperial British Subjects"/British citizens under a "common citizenship". Those born in the Free State were still able to apply for British passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

First Irish Free State passports were issued in December 1924, the holders being notional "Imperial British Subjects"/British citizens under a "common citizenship". Those born in the Free State were still able to apply for British passports.
    So could a person born in the Republic of Ireland still apply for a British passsort today? In other words, are we still technically, a part of the Commonwealth? I know many parts of British legislation still include Ireland (the whole island) in their terms of reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

if born in Ireland before 1948 I think you can apply for a British citizenship/passport; post 1948, no unless you qualify through one of the various caveats - marriage, British parent, adoption.

Ireland is definitely no longer part of the Commonwealth.

Didn't realise that there was still British legislation with any claims over the whole island. I thought the Ireland Act recognised the RoI and the split from the UK/Commonwealth and all that this encompassed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

if born in Ireland before 1948 I think you can apply for a British citizenship/passport; post 1948, no unless you qualify through one of the various caveats - marriage, British parent, adoption.

Ireland is definitely no longer part of the Commonwealth.

Didn't realise that there was still British legislation with any claims over the whole island. I thought the Ireland Act recognised the RoI and the split from the UK/Commonwealth and all that this encompassed.

There may be some ancient Laws pre-1921. I know for example an English person can demand to be tried in England for a murder committed in Ireland.
    Also the Lords for areas now in ROI are still recognised in House of Lords.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

T runner wrote: »
    There may be some ancient Laws pre-1921. I know for example an English person can demand to be tried in England for a murder committed in Ireland.
    This happened in a murder trial around 2 years ago. It happened in Dublin but the case was heard in the Old Bailey.

Advertisement