Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numbers of Appeals

Options
  • 02-01-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

It has no bearing on me over here in the USA, BUT, I am very curious to know just how many people are lodging appeals regarding their refusal or denial of licenses for center fire pistol's and or rifles.

One friend of mine back in Ireland has an appeal pending and I was just curious as to how many others are in the process of taking legal action.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

ironsight wrote: »
    It has no bearing on me over here in the USA, BUT, I am very curious to know just how many people are lodging appeals regarding their refusal or denial of licenses for center fire pistol's and or rifles.

One friend of mine back in Ireland has an appeal pending and I was just curious as to how many others are in the process of taking legal action.

I was refused my 9mm and have retained a solicitor for my appeal just waiting for papers to be lodged and court date to my knowledge there are a lot of appeals being taken

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭SVI40

I have been refused on my .40, court date in early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CeeBeeYou

I've been refused a 9mm. Court date early Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Firearm - 9mm Sig Pro
    Area - Limerick City
    Appeal Date - Wednesday January 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 lead loader

I've been refused 9mm and .357 revolver. Appeal papers being lodged tomorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Refused .40 and .223 semi. Appeal being lodged in next few days when brief gets back off hol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Refused a 9mm Sig, luckily enough I got a trade in on a rifle up North thanks to a contact on here, you know who you are;)

Really feel like a traitor for not appealing it but my cert was issued after the cut off date (18/11/08 I think?) and I would've had to make two appeals which I just couldn't afford it:(

Best of luck to all going ahead with their own appeals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Best of luck with the appeals lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Well Lad's all I can say is to wish you all the very best of luck with your appeal's, I will be keeping my finger's crossed for all of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

I have been refused my lience for a thomson .22 rimfire single shot pistol

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

knockon wrote: »
    Firearm - 9mm Sig Pro
    Area - Limerick City
    Appeal Date - Wednesday January 6th.

Any news on this, or any of the other appeals?

Samson wrote: »

+1 How'd you get on Knockon, Hope to God you're out celebrating!

Samson wrote: »

No Celebrations yet but yes to news - The State requested that the appeal would be put back and held at a future date (Not fully sure yet) to enable their "Expert" to attend court. Some time in Feb (2 different dates I am told). To my knowledge no appeals were heard in Limerick today. Seems like they are bunching us all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sounds like a change in strategy on behalf of Gardai

Shooters will need to get an "expert" too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 supermac

well, lads, I can tell you, wake up and smell the roses, all centre-fires are history, to tell you the truth, i,m not surprised OR unhappy about it.Had one myself, BUT they are an overkill for target shooting.The non-restricted guns on the list are perfect for target shooting, less dangerous, and cheaper to feed, got my .22 pistol licence today, i,m very happy.:)

supermac wrote: »
    well, lads, I can tell you, wake up and smell the roses, all centre-fires are history, to tell you the truth, i,m not surprised OR unhappy about it.Had one myself, BUT they are an overkill for target shooting.The non-restricted guns on the list are perfect for target shooting, less dangerous, and cheaper to feed, got my .22 pistol licence today, i,m very happy.:)

you sound like my Chief Super:eek: get bent:rolleyes:

Yes Minister, or is it Commissioner.................what's next no centrefire rifles :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

got my .22 pistol licence today, i,m very happy

Whilst I do not own or shoot centrefire pistols - nor do I now ever expect to (at least not here in Ireland) - your sentiments, supermac, are very much in the "I'm alright, Jack..."-camp.
    i,m not surprised OR unhappy

If you're not interested in c/f pistol shooting, s/mac - fine - but please don't run down any other mans sport.
    less dangerous

Still wouldn't like to be shot with .22 myself, though.:D

BTW Congratulations on recieving your own .22 pistol licence. I'm delighted for you. See, even though I don't shoot .22 pistols, I can still be supportive and happy for a fellow sportsman.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Without centerfire pistols supermac, I can't ever try ISSF centerfire pistols (.32 or .38 calibre). Which I wouldn't mind doing at some point. And since this is a .22lr ISSF pistol:
    mg2z.jpg

and this is a .32 ISSF pistol:
    mg4_ue.jpg

I rather fail to see the intrinsic difference that means I can have the former but not the latter (and no, the whim of one Minister is not an intrinsic difference).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

so centrefire pistols weren't dangerous when you had one ? talk about pulling up the ladder !

• Advertisement

Thanks for your imput Fachtna.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Thanks for your imput Fachtna.

PMSL:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Kimber

Sparks wrote: »
    Without centerfire pistols supermac, I can't ever try ISSF centerfire pistols (.32 or .38 calibre). Which I wouldn't mind doing at some point. And since this is a .22lr ISSF pistol:
    mg2z.jpg

and this is a .32 ISSF pistol:
    mg4_ue.jpg

I rather fail to see the intrinsic difference that means I can have the former but not the latter (and no, the whim of one Minister is not an intrinsic difference).

Sparks,
    Can .32 Ammo be accuired in Ireland?
    Many thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

syconerd wrote: »
    I have been refused my lience for a thomson .22 rimfire single shot pistol
    Was that refusal based on it being restricted or non-restricted?
    SI337 (restricted firearms SI)
    (e) the following short firearms designed for use in connection with competitions governed by International Olympic Committee regulations:
    (i) air-operated firearms of 4.5 millimetres (.177 inch) calibre;
    (ii) single shot firearms using 0.22 inch long rifle rim fire percussion ammunition;
    (iii) other firearms using 0.22 inch long rifle rim fire percussion ammunition provided that the maximum magazine capacity of such a firearm does not exceed five rounds and that the barrel length of the firearm is greater than 10 cm.

Kimber wrote: »
    Sparks,
    Many thanks,
    If you have a licence for it. You might have to look a bit (or ask for it) though, most of the fullbore pistols seem to have been 9mm, .38, .40 or .45 rather than .32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Kimber wrote: »
    Sparks,
    Many thanks,
    If you have a licence for it. You might have to look a bit (or ask for it) though, most of the fullbore pistols seem to have been 9mm, .38, .40 or .45 rather than .32.
    Immaterial though, unless someone had a firearm of that calibre licenced before November of last year; no more centrefire 'short firearms' to be licenced after that date. :(

Anyway, given that I've heard a senior Garda refer to .32 (and .25) as a "derringer or Saturday-night-special" calibre, I'd be genuinely surprised is someone HAD managed to get something licenced before the cut off date.

Yeah, this grandfathering notion is monumentally annoying. TBH though, I think our best bet to overturn it is to wait until FF leave office, then try to get the law rolled back; and our best bet would be to start with something like the .32s and .38s in the ISSF disciplines (since the safe&harmless public perception carries over somewhat there) and then continue to get more and more back (I'd like to see it all overturned overnight, but let's be brutally honest here, that doesn't happen when it comes to the Dail or the Department and making it into a confrontation only guarantees that heels will get dug in and nothing will change, or worse, it'll be cranked down even further).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

our best bet would be to start with something like the .32s and .38s in the ISSF disciplines (since the safe&harmless public perception carries over somewhat there)

Maybe so but it does not exist in Ireland - nobody does it - nobody has any experience of it, the ranges are not setup for it, etc. so you would be asking for something we have never had - like Moose Hunting with spoons.

Always a more difficult battle than asking for something we already have the facilities for, proficiency, experience, lots of medals on the international stage and an interest in - namely the firearms, calibres and sports we already have and enjoy.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    Maybe so but it does not exist in Ireland - nobody does it - nobody has any experience of it, the ranges are not setup for it, etc. so you would be asking for something we have never had - like Moose Hunting with spoons.
    Well, firstly we're talking about looking to make it possible to take new applications, so the lack of people shooting it in Ireland isn't an issue; and secondly, weren't you the one arguing last night that anyone in the country with a fullbore could shoot this right now? How many .38s and 9mm pistols are out there?
    Always a more difficult battle than asking for something we already have the facilities for, proficiency, experience, lots of medals on the international stage and an interest in - namely the firearms, calibres and sports we already have and enjoy.
    True - but the PPC shooting groups have pretty much screwed the pooch on the PR side. If they hadn't, and everyone in the country knew we had Irish PPC shooters ranking in the world's top ten, I'd fully agree with you. But until that gets fixed, the best approach from a PR standpoint is the ISSF side because of the work done over the past decade on PR by the NTSA and its clubs. And if you want to roll back a law, PR's got a large part to play. And after it gets fixed, the good PR that ISSF shooting enjoys is still going to be an asset.

• Advertisement

**cough, cough **

I have to agree with Sparks, that makes sense :eek:

**cough, cough**

Advertisement