Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What type of shoes to wear in the snow?

• 02-01-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

Heading out into town tonight and debating what's the best option to wear to avoid falling on my arse. Heels are out (I'm brave but not foolhardy) and for the first time in my life I'm regretting not owning a pair of Uggs.

Anyone know what would work well in the snow? What have people been wearing so far? I was thinking of my favourite black knee-high boots (flat) but I'm not sure what the grip would be like on them. Figure they'd make sense cos they'd keep out the slush at least! If not then I'll probably just wear a pair of runners with jeans. Decisions, decisions...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I reckon go with the black boots if they are flat but be very careful on them if you don't think they have much grip. They'll defo keep your feet dry! Otherwise go for the runners, but if you're going out - you'll prob need some kind of dressy shoe so I'd say the boots are the best bet.

Oh and UGGs aren't all that in the snow :( I haven't waterproofed mine (I really should) and I went out for a walk yesterday in the snow wearing my UGGs. Around the foot part of the boot got all covered in snow and my socks started to get a bit damp (now I was out for a good while).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Tbh I don't think it will matter what you wear, obiously heels etc are a no go but if it's icy you'll slip in anything but anything with grip is going to help of course. If your can get away with jeans and a half decent pair of runners do that!

Slipped on my ass today on ice and I had hiking boots on with plenty of grip!

Have a good night. :)
    Stuck in the hills and can't get out myself lol, have one for me will ya! haha :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭HelloJellyFish

What type of shoes to wear in the snow?.........snow shoes, obviously!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Uggs are a definite no no in this weather. I was in New York last Feb, delighted with myself buying new uggs at half the price for us Irish. I might as well have been wearing banana skins.

OP boots sound better option, but it depends on the grip. Could you wear your runners and change into boots when you get to pub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

May not be the best option for the fashion conscious among you, but seemingly wearing socks over shoes/boots is very effective in improving grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Thanks for that, everyone:) I figure town won't be too slippy, so I think I'll go with dolliemix's suggestion and wear runners til I get there and then change into the boots. I'll prob have to walk a bit to get a bus (Dublin Bus have changed the route that usually runs right by my house - damn ice!) so runners make most sense.

On a slight aside, that's mad that Uggs are so useless. I thought the point of them was that they were made for tough, snowy conditions? Boo-urns.

Oh, and I think I can manage to have one or two for you Jemmy. I'll do my best, goddamn it... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 muireann =]

Well, I was in town on new years (nightmare with the snow!) and i brought heels (as I am a shrimp!:p) and a pair of dolly shoes! worked for me! but i would go with runners! do you know the canvas shoes in penneys?They are good just plain white shoes! and they only 4 euro so you can just throw them out if they get wrecked! as for uggs! i have a pair and i would actually not recommend a pair for this weather as when they get wet so do your feet!:( good for cold weather but not snow! in my opinion anyway :D oh and if you wear the boots make sure they have good grip and dont have a plastic sole as you cant grip the ground well!
    my friend was wearing her doc martins and she fell everywere!!! was funny tho :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Try and walk on snow too if the paths seem icy. As long as the shoes have good grip you should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I've been wearing my Ugg boots and found them great so far! No slips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Stargal wrote: »
    that's mad that Uggs are so useless. I thought the point of them was that they were made for tough, snowy conditions? Boo-urns

Um, no. I don't know where you all got the idea they are supposed to be worn in snow. Uggs were designed for Australian summers, for surfers to wear on the beach. Hence they are not suited to snow and ice :D

Ugg Australia do sell snow boots however but they are different to the regular Uggs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement