Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How are the driving conditions coming to Galway?

• 02-01-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I'm in Dublin but need to get back to Galway tomorrow, wondering if I'm mad to drive, has anyone been on the M6? I believe from Loughrea to Galway was pretty treacherous.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I've to do the same tomorrow. From reading posts here it seems getting out of Dublin is one of the biggest problems.
    Parts of M6 also seem bad.
    Not looking forward to the drive at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Was just speaking to seperate people who drove from Galway to Dub this afternoon and word is that the roads were fine until they hit the M50 but poor after that due to snow and ice.They both still managed the journey in less than 3 hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

I did the M6 Loughrea to Galway late last night. It was pretty ok, took it handy. The N65 stretch which links the motorway to Loughrea felt bad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Any info on the M6 this morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Road was grand. Icy in Dublin up as far as the toll on the M4 but ok from there except for a couple of miles at Loughrea past the M6 toll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Drove Galway to Athlone on the M6 this afternoon and the road was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Thought they were gritting the main roads. If not, that is a scandal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

dec25532 wrote: »
    Thought they were gritting the main roads. If not, that is a scandal.

They have very limited supplies of grit.Some areas that need it probably may be without it for the next few days. I think they expect some more supplies in the west in the early days of this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Limerick to Galway fine, a little slippy north of Gort but the gritters were out (I saw one). Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I find the worst time to be driving is in the evening shortly before they have gritted as the roads have started to freeze but have yet to be treated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Has anybody driven from Galway to Sligo over the past day or so? What were the roads like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

trish23 wrote: »
    Has anybody driven from Galway to Sligo over the past day or so? What were the roads like?

Can't really help you on that route, but after driving from Knocknacarra to town this morning at 8am, I wouldn't drive anywhere again today unless I need to.

Of all the freezing days we've had so far, this by far has been the worst I think (for road conditions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I came down the N17, across to the Headford road and then out to Spiddal.

I have to say the roads were not too bad at all, they were mainly dry and not that icy once you took it steady. Much improved compared to last week when freezing rain created a treacherous layer all over the road surface.

I did notice that the roads in around the city did not appear to have been gritted? That shipment of rock salt from Limerick hasn't arrived yet I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I came down the N17, across to the Headford road and then out to Spiddal.

I have to say the roads were not too bad at all, they were mainly dry and not that icy once you took it steady. Much improved compared to last week when freezing rain created a treacherous layer all over the road surface.

I did notice that the roads in around the city did not appear to have been gritted? That shipment of rock salt from Limerick hasn't arrived yet I guess.

Yeah, you are right because my 30min journey into galway city was fine but once i hit the city, traffic was very slow even though it wasnt that busy...roads didnt look well gritted.

Advertisement