Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turkey target Trapattoni for manager role

• 02-01-2010 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

From RTE
    A Turkish sports newspaper report has suggested that Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni is being courted by the Turkish FA.

Turkey failed to qualify for this year's World Cup tournament in South Africa, coming third in their group behind Spain and Bosnia and Herzegovina and losing to lowly Belgium on the final day of the qualifying competition.

That led manager Fatih Terim, who steered Turkey through a remarkable series of games and into the Euro 2008 semi-finals where they lost to Germany, to resign.

Citing Turkish outlet Fanatik, French magazine L'Equipe has reported that 70-year-old Trapattoni is the man the Turkish FA want to fill the vacancy.

The story also reportedly suggests that Trapattoni asked the Turkish FA for more time to think about his future.

However, the Italian, who took Ireland to the brink of World Cup qualification only to lose out after a controversial play-off defeat to France, recently signed a new contract with the Football Association of Ireland.

That deal is expected to keep the 70-year-old in the Ireland job until at least 2012.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

We should get 80m for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Wouldn't mind him leaving to be honest,

It's time for Roy Keane to step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

You forgot to put the

:p :pac: or :D

after your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

You forgot to put the

:p :pac: or :D

after your post.

I need some more time to mull over which one i should use :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

TAXI !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I need some more time to mull over which one i should use :D

You can use all three at once, go on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It really is time for Roy Keane to step up, preferably away from the relegation zone of the Championship table:pac::P:D:P:pac::D

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Oh. My. God.

THIS is exactly what is wrong with Ireland.

We have a manager that turned us around in one qualifying campaign from a team that got hocked 5-2 by Cyprus, with a manager that became a international laughing stock when he declared himself the gaffer and then went on to gaff up every single competative game we played and after getting destroyed at home declared the team to be a "building team" to a team that went unbeaten as third seeds in a group that had the world champions in it WITHOUT the big baby Ireland and "I won't go to bed when I'm told" Reid.

You want to get rid of a manager that has won a title in practically every domestic league in Europe and is a proven International manager for a clown that can't keep his nose out of the press to antagonise the team and open old perceived slights stretching back nearly 8 years now. Spent Sunderland into the premiership, kept them up then walked away. Spent Ipswich into 19th place in the Championship and has ZERO man management skills as proven by his interaction with former players, current players and the feedback from people that deal with him on a regular basis. All that has kept him going is a semblence of respect people had for him as a player but do you think some 18 year old kid is going to remember that when working under him in five years- he'll just be a grumpy ignorant crap manager.

If we leave Trap go after he is contracted for another two years, that level of stupidity DESERVES someone as useless as Keane. Thankfully his constant criticism of the FAI means they are more like to give the job back to Kermit the Clown before that ever happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Oh. My. God.

We have a manager that turned us around in one qualifying campaign from a team that got hocked 5-2 by Cyprus, with a manager that became a international laughing stock when he declared himself the gaffer and then went on to gaff up every single competative game we played and after getting destroyed at home declared the team to be a "building team" to a team that went unbeaten as third seeds in a group that had the world champions in it WITHOUT the big baby Ireland and "I won't go to bed when I'm told" Reid.

You want to get rid of a manager that has won a title in practically every domestic league in Europe and is a proven International manager for a clown that can't keep his nose out of the press to antagonise the team and open old perceived slights stretching back nearly 8 years now. Spent Sunderland into the premiership, kept them up then walked away. Spent Ipswich into 19th place in the Championship and has ZERO man management skills as proven by his interaction with former players, current players and the feedback from people that deal with him on a regular basis. All that has kept him going is a semblence of respect people had for him as a player but do you think some 18 year old kid is going to remember that when working under him in five years- he'll just be a grumpy ignorant crap manager.

If we leave Trap go after he is contracted for another two years, that level of stupidity DESERVES someone as useless as Keane. Thankfully his constant criticism of the FAI means they are more like to give the job back to Kermit the Clown before that ever happens.

Ah come on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I don't think he was serious. *whoosh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Oh. My. God.

Oh. My. God.....is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Oh. My. God.

fine lets get stan back so.

*sits back in anticipation*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

nullzero wrote: »
    It really is time for Roy Keane to step up, preferably away from the relegation zone of the Championship table:pac::P:D:P:pac::D
    Ipswich are 3 places above relegation at the moment. Not saying Keane should be the next Ireland manager but if your gonna slag him get the facts right :)

°°°°°

Ipswich are 3 places above relegation at the moment. Not saying Keane should be the next Ireland manager but if your gonna slag him get the facts right :)

If you're going to make smarmy comments about my posts at least read what I write.
    I said away from not out of. Ipswich are three places and three points above the relegation zone, one bad afternoon and they could concievably be in the bottom three. So I think you'll find I had infact got my "facts right".:)

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Oh. My. God.

You want to get rid of a manager that has won a title in practically every domestic league in Europe

Oh dear, where does one start???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

nullzero wrote:
    ]You want to get rid of a manager that has won a title in practically every domestic league in Europe.

He's won the Italian, German, Portuguese and Austrian leagues. That is not practically every domestic league in Europe. That's not even half of them.

Get your facts right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

He is also the only manager to have won all UEFA club competitions and the Intercontinental Cup. He achieved this with Juventus over his two spells with the club.
    Trapattoni is one of only two coaches, alongside the Austrian Ernst Happel, to have won the league title (10) in four different countries (Italy,Germany, Portugal and Austria)[17] and the fourth coach with the most international competitions for clubs won in the world -second in Europe- with 7 titles in 8 finals, including the Intercontinental Cup final (mainly with Juventus).[18] Alongside the German Udo Lattek he is the only coach to have won all three major European club titles. Also, he is the only one to have won all UEFA club competitions and the World Club title, also having the record of UEFA Cup wins (3)

He is 70 and his titles in Italy were when Italy was by far the best league in Europe and the English League was almost bankrupt.

Compared to a jumped up little snot like Keane who has won.............

sfa all as a manager, and I'll wager never will.

Trap turned our international team into one that was on it's knees to one that almost and should have gone to the world cup. If he goes I think our chances of qualifying for the European championship will go with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Compared to a jumped up little snot like Keane who has won.............

sfa all as a manager, and I'll wager never will.
    He won the Championship in 07. Credit where its due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Please Turkey, take him and his boring long ball defensive game with him. I'd nearly drive him to Istanbul myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

www.football365.com

Giovanni Trapattoni's assistant insists there is "absolutely no truth" to reports that the Republic of Ireland coach is considering taking over the reins of the Turkish national team.

Fatih Terim resigned as Turkey coach after they failed to qualify for the World Cup and speculation in the country has been rife that the federation have offered Trapattoni a big-money contract.

However, his number two Marco Tardelli has rubbished the suggestion.

"I have spoken with Trap but there's no truth in it," he told Radio Uno.

"Then there is also the story he's going to coach Nigeria in the World Cup but there is absolutely no truth to any of these rumours.

"We are happy in Ireland."

Trapattoni took charge of Ireland in 2008 and narrowly missed out on a World Cup spot after a controversial defeat by France.

The 70-year-old signed a new deal back in September which will take him through to Euro 2012.

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    If you're going to make smarmy comments about my posts at least read what I write.
    I said away from not out of. Ipswich are three places and three points above the relegation zone, one bad afternoon and they could concievably be in the bottom three. So I think you'll find I had infact got my "facts right".:)

well he was in there and is now moving away from it. If that comment was made a few weeks ago or in the future when he was/could be in or moving towards relegation i wouldnt have minded. And the smileys after it just made it sound like you wanted to have a go at him.

Trap turned our international team into one that was on it's knees to one that almost and should have gone to the world cup. If he goes I think our chances of qualifying for the European championship will go with him.
    Ya he is the best possible manager we could have at the moment and I hope Flahavaj's post means that he's staying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Trapattoni not interested in Turkey job

Saturday, 2 January 2010 20:17
    Marco Tardelli has ruled Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni out of contention for the vacant Turkey job.

Citing Turkish sports newspaper Fanatik, French magazine L'Equipe reported that the Turkish FA were keen on the 70-year-old.

The job opened up when Fatih Terim resigned after he could only deliver third place behind Spain and Bosnia and Herzegovina in Turkey's World Cup qualifying group.

But Irish assistant Tardelli quickly quashed the rumour.

Speaking to Radio Uno, he said: 'I have spoken with Trapattoni and there is no truth in the stories. There have also been voices linking him with the Nigeria job ahead of next summer's World Cup, but again there is no truth to these rumours.

'I can confirm we are doing just fine here in Ireland.'

Trapattoni and Tardelli took the Republic to the brink of World Cup qualification only to lose out after a controversial play-off defeat to France.

The Italian recently signed a new contract with the Football Association of Ireland until 2012.

Off the rte website

°°°°°

CCCP^ wrote: »
    He's won the Italian, German, Portuguese and Austrian leagues. That is not practically every domestic league in Europe. That's not even half of them.

Get your facts right.

I never wrote that.
    Mr Incognito wrote it, you just pasted it under my name so you could have a go at me. Poor form.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Bring back Stan. He's the real Gaffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Have to agree 100%. Forget the World Cup and the Hand of W** for now, that's over and done with.

Our next target is Euro 2010. Trap is the man most likely to get us there, I cannot think of anyone else who could, or who else would actually want this job. That we got Trap in the first place was brilliant, and I doubt lightning will strike twice (in Ireland getting a better/equal manager).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

In Trap we trust.

He's going nowhere and that is Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If there is financial gain for the FAI, don't rule out them at least considering it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Boggles wrote: »
    If there is financial gain for the FAI, don't rule out them at least considering it.
    Eh, Trap's the man to get us to the Euro's. Financial gain from that > Few shillings from Turkey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Boggles wrote: »
    CHD wrote: »
    Eh, Trap's the man to get us to the Euro's. Financial gain from that > Few shillings from Turkey

Exactly! More money to be made from making it to a top tier football competition than releasing a top class manager of his contract to another nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd almost, ALMOST, love him to leave just so moron's like Dunphy might finally start appreciating the job he did. But then I'd have to put the knife down, apologise to my nose for scaring the bejesus out of it and think up some other way to spite my face, because if he left, it truly would be a serious blow.

Advertisement