Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poxy Irish roads

• 02-01-2010 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Just drove home from Killarney via Mallow and Mitchelstown, and have to say between the lousy signage (try getting through Mallow heading East), massive potholes (genuine suspension destroyers), hopeless drivers, tractors, horseboxes I arrived home truly shocked and exhausted. I really thought in the last 10 years things would have improved down there, I can't imagine what tourist make of it....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Were the tractors and horseboxes in your way?
    Of course if you're in a rural area you're guranteed to meet some.
    The tourists won't mind :)

Were they slow to pull in and let you past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Killarney to Mallow isn't too bad, but Mallow to Mitchelstown is the type of thing which will drive you demented. The only cure for that road is plenty of power under the bonnet to make the best of the very limited overtaking opportunities.

Could be worse, the Cork to Limerick road has one section between Mallow and Buttevant which is a tiny, twisty little bit of road and everyone crawls on it. The main road connecting two cities, and it might aswell be a bog road from the 1850's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The only cure for that road is plenty of power under the bonnet to make the best of the very limited overtaking opportunities.

2 adults, 2 kids, luggage and a 1.5DCi, overtaking was not on the agenda!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

I pull a horsebox regularly and my cargo is precious, so if the road is bumpy and full of potholes I have no choice but to slow down a bit. I know there are driver's behind and will do my best to help them overtake. But it just takes one car driver to cut in front and jam on his/her brakes in temper just because they were slowed up for a few mins. Remember there's nearly 3.5 tons trying to avoid the stupid act of aggression. In rural areas expect tractors, horseboxes, riders on horseback, people on bicycles..... everything you don't want basically. Chill out, relax and arrive at your destination unstressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I can't imagine what tourist make of it....
    Ah shure beyjaysus and begorrah, isn't it all part of the experience, your honour.

Seriously, the only thing that has been gritted in East Meath in the past two weeks is the teeth of drivers.

One of the slip roads onto the M3 has craters that would make the Moon look on in envy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Just drove home from Killarney via Mallow and Mitchelstown, and have to say between the lousy signage (try getting through Mallow heading East), massive potholes (genuine suspension destroyers), hopeless drivers, tractors, horseboxes I arrived home truly shocked and exhausted. I really thought in the last 10 years things would have improved down there, I can't imagine what tourist make of it....

We have a tiny population, a massive road network, and a climate intent on beating the sh1te out of tarred surfaces. In fairness, there has been investment, but i don't expect we will ever have fantastic roads between these random provincial towns you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

You might expect to see tractors in rural areas but you shouldn't have to. They are not supposed to be on the roads, half of them are not taxed, they all use cheap green diesel, some of them are death traps and none of them are tested for road worthiness.

I haven't been able to drive on my road for almost 2 weeks because we had heavy snow which was compacted by tractors which some people confused with snow mobiles !

Slow drivers should be made to pay for their ignorance, they seem to think that they are entitled to do whatever spped they like and let everyone else shag off, how many volunteers for the fire service, mountain rescue teams or life boat crews have been held up by these idiots while trying to get to base in their own cars ?

Another thing that is slowing us down are learner drivers on their own, they are advertising the fact that they should not be out on their own but The Gardaí do nothing.

We need a new form of Government to atke on the farmes, slow drivers and learners !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

noinc wrote: »
    You might expect to see tractors in rural areas but you shouldn't have to. They are not supposed to be on the roads, half of them are not taxed, they all use cheap green diesel, some of them are death traps and none of them are tested for road worthiness.

I haven't been able to drive on my road for almost 2 weeks because we had heavy snow which was compacted by tractors which some people confused with snow mobiles !

Slow drivers should be made to pay for their ignorance, they seem to think that they are entitled to do whatever spped they like and let everyone else shag off, how many volunteers for the fire service, mountain rescue teams or life boat crews have been held up by these idiots while trying to get to base in their own cars ?

Another thing that is slowing us down are learner drivers on their own, they are advertising the fact that they should not be out on their own but The Gardaí do nothing.

We need a new form of Government to atke on the farmes, slow drivers and learners !

Christ almighty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

someone needs to move to the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Christ almighty
    +1
    unreal !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Take a chill pill and have a look over at the ranting and raving forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You might expect to see tractors in rural areas but you shouldn't have to.

Maybe the air corps are supposed to airlift the tractors between different fields :D

Seriously, what are you expecting in a rural area. Unlike car drivers, farmers don't take their tractors out for relaxing Sunday afternoon spins. They are working and commuting to their workplace, same as you. If they are on the road they are there for a reason and it's to work.

Relax a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

The majority of them do pull in as tight as they can to let the traffic past when theyr moving slow from any experiences i have had, maybe im just lucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Where were you going to?
    why not go the N22/N25/M8?
    Less stress and probably faster.
    fewer potholes apart from Ballyvourney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

On the new/refurbished dual carriageway at Lucan, the bit that dips down at the Superquinn exit is tearing up already.

It's tearing up on the the left lane heading to Dublin just as you're climbing the dip. How many months has that been finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭noinc

Hi Mikemac,

Firstly, I work from home but secondly, I know of at least 2 people who have tractors but no land and whereas they might not take them out for Sunday drives, they are the only family transport these people have I have no problem with people going from one part of their farm to another at all but I do object to them using the roads during rush hour when they haven't bothered to tax the thing for years and there is a plastic fertiliser bag where the window should be not to mention a distinct lack of proper lighting. Green diesel is cheap because the vehicles allowed to use it are NOT permitted on public roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Green diesel is cheap because the vehicles allowed to use it are NOT permitted on public roads

Incorrect. They are permitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Firstly, I work from home but secondly, I know of at least 2 people who have tractors but no land and whereas they might not take them out for Sunday drives, they are the only family transport these people have

Obviously you are wrong in relation to green diesel, as agri vehicles are permitted to use it, irrespective of whether they use a public road or not, but, you are not seriously suggesting people buy tractors just to use green diesel. I have a few tractors, one is quite modern and I can tell you that driving them on a road ranges between very uncomfortable (the one with air con and a fancy air seat), to utter hell (anything with a plastic bag for a window).

If I wanted to use green diesel i'd just put it in my diesel car TBH.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Welcome to my day every day. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've never seen more generalisations in a post before

• Advertisement
Advertisement